Old 02-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #15
2012 dodge 4x4 diesel

1975 Argosy 22
Truckee , California
dznf0g, I'm new to this forum and see that there's lots of rivet masters, I was thinking that was your club name here. ha. That sounds like a good idea about waiting until after axels are replaced and seeing how it rides at that point. I'll try to remember to check back once its done to tell you how it feels. Ok, so what does IMHO stand for?

Old 02-20-2012, 05:25 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
In My Humble Opinion.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
I have the class 5 hitch. When I have my 22' behind me I use 45 lbs of air in it, a nice soft ride. Before I got the Airsafe I was popping a few rivets on each long trip. I no longer loose any rivets

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
I think I will be saving my pennies (!!) for one of these too. Been thinking about it a while. Thanks for the discussion.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:38 PM   #19
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
I tow with a Class 6 airsafe. Its a bit heavy to lug around especially with the WD head mounted to it. That being said... the ride is wonderful. My dually would beat up the airstream as the overloads are resting on the stops. With the airsafe I no longer feel the weight occilations from the trailer and i know its alot softer ride because of it. The slideouts have a much higher tongue weight so you wont need a class six. Class 5 should be just fine.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:41 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
I definitely would give the axles a good look... Andy at Inland RV published this awhile back and I believe it still applies.

http://www.inlandrv.com/articles/dur...xle-92001.html

As previously noted, see if this resolves the seemingly stiff ride your trailer may be suffering from. Someone recently suggested mounting a video camera in the trailer to record what goes on back there as you drive down the road. If you replace the axles, it might be interesting for all to see before and after clips from the same stretch or road.

All that being said, I'm on my 2nd Airsafe after wearing out the first over 18 years of service. I am completely satisfied with it. It takes the harshness out of the "freeway hop" I was experiencing on certain concrete roads. The seat cushions pretty much stay put and that may be an indicator that it really softens the ride back there. Without it, they were everywhere when we reached our destination for the day. The ride quality up front is noticeably better.

The Class V is recommended because of the additional angular forces that are applied to it from the WD hitch otherwise a Class IV would suffice for the weight. My first one was a Class IV and would still be in service if the WD hitch hadn't punished it so much. The Class V weighs a bit under 60# but it seems heavier than that and I never take it off unless I have a pressing need to do so. I relocated the license plate and its light to maintain the visibility requirement to keep the constables happy. It's also a serious shin knocker, so I've learned to take a wide path around the the back of the TV, especially in the dark!
Old 02-20-2012, 07:46 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I would get an Airsafe that you can also use a WD hitch and sway control with. I'm not sure if a class IV will do that or not but I know a class 5 will. I have an Airsafe with a Husky WD hitch with a Reese Friction Sway bar.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:02 PM   #22
2012 dodge 4x4 diesel

1975 Argosy 22
Truckee , California
thanks for all the replies folks;-)
Old 02-20-2012, 08:14 PM   #23
2012 dodge 4x4 diesel

1975 Argosy 22
Truckee , California
@silveregoose, thanks for that article. Very informative of what looks to be the cause of my argosy's issues. Its been on many dirt roads in the mountains in CA and CO. I will keep my fingers crossed that there'll be an over all improvement once I get the axles replaced.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:45 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Have a Reese Dual Cam - heavy sucker. I was shopping for Christmas last year at Home Depot. They had a 2 for 1 sale - a heavy fabric tool bag with a plastic drawer unit that would hold screws, nails, rivets, etc. for about $20. The hitch rides in the tool bag in the back seat of the truck.

Handles on the tool bag are nice for lifting and stowing the hitch, bag keeps the rough spots from messing up the truck mats, etc. It also holds the hitch lock, and the various clips and pins that hold on my weight bars, my ball lube and the ball cover that keeps the lube off of my jeans.
Old 02-20-2012, 10:12 PM   #25

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
If I were you, I'd replace the axles, replace the rivets and watch things closely for awhile.
Then decide whether to spend the $$ on the airsafe.
I second this suggestion. We were losing rivets on the Caravel, but with the new axle it just floats along behind us, gentle as can be. It was the old stiff axle that was shaking the poor thing apart!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:29 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
I second this suggestion. We were losing rivets on the Caravel, but with the new axle it just floats along behind us, gentle as can be. It was the old stiff axle that was shaking the poor thing apart!
I agree. An Air Safe hitch won't help much if the coach has bad axles. That is not to say an Air Safe is still not a good idea, especially over rough roads and a TV with a stiff suspension.
Old 02-20-2012, 11:23 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
I have the baby Airsafe class III... love it. It doesn't have any option for weight distribution but does have a tab to mount one friction sway control. The bigger Airsafes are heavy and expensive, but they work. You'll find a lot of trash talk about them, mostly from those who have never tried one.

I used it on my Basecamp and it made it so much nicer to tow with our little truck... no hammering of the hitch on rougher roads... much, much smoother ride in the trailer when I hopped in for a test-ride. Now, I use the same one on my 22 foot, and tow with a Sequoia... same thing... super smooth and just makes the whole trip a lot more enjoyable. I'm on the edge of the capabilities of the class III, so I might step up to the next one.

Every now and then they have a good sale... or... just call them up and tell them you want a deal. They seem to be good that way.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:04 AM   #28
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Argosybanker gal,

I would go with the axle replace first...then chooze any of the other "gizmo's" you feel are needed.

You will most likely find that whatever they turn out to be, they will be demonstrably better than any choice anyone else has made.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote