Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2001 34' Excella
Edinburg , Texas
Air Safe Hitch Any Users Experience?

I am considering buy a Air Safe Hitch & using it with my Equalizer Hitch on my 34' 2001 Excella.

Has any one had any experience with the Air Safe Hitch?
jbailey01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Welcome to the forums.

We have one. We like it. The items in the back of our 27 FB looked like it had been in a dryer after a day on the road.

The Air Safe helped soften things quite a bit.

Regards,

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Connellsville , Pennsylvania
I have used them in the past but sold the one I had with the last trailer. They really settle down the harsh ride. Well worth the investment, but relatively expensive for what they are.
Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
Troy , Texas
Airsafe ...yes

I purchased the airsafe VII...for my excella 34'...and use the equalizer weight distribution ...absolutely stopped 98% of the porposing...no sway...I don't worry about concrete highways and bridges anymore...I have used the airsafe approximately 16 months now...One of our unit members purchased one after viewing mine 4 months ago...he has only praise for the airsafe ...
excella99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

My Class V AirSafe has served me well in the six years I've owned it. I tow with a heavily sprung pickup, and the AirSafe has stopped damage to my trailers. No more split skin, popped rivets or shaken-up contents. Just smooth sailing over the rough roads we travel.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 12:05 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2001 34' Excella
Edinburg , Texas
Air safe V or VII

Quote:
Originally Posted by excella99 View Post
I purchased the airsafe VII...for my excella 34'...and use the equalizer weight distribution ...absolutely stopped 98% of the porposing...no sway...I don't worry about concrete highways and bridges anymore...I have used the airsafe approximately 16 months now...One of our unit members purchased one after viewing mine 4 months ago...he has only praise for the airsafe ...
itch.

Did you need the VII? It appears to me from the specs that the AS V at 1400 lbs TW would be sufficient. allowing for the 25% red using the Equalizer WD hitch.

Thanks, Jim
Old 05-24-2012, 05:42 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
Troy , Texas
jbaily01

You are absolutely right...the VII was overkill....the reason I purchased the VII...was that my TW was new...and it had the 2 1/2 inch receiver..
at the time I bought mine...there was not much information on the Airsafe hitch...I didn't want to buy the V at the time because I would have to use the 2" sleeve adaptor...I thought it may cause play in the hitch...so I spent more than I had too...my friend bought the V for his set-up 34' with equalizer and he is completely happy with it...any way you cut it...its a soft connection...great ride...and the trailer has a smooth ride...
Old 05-24-2012, 06:11 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1988 34' Excella
Troy , Texas
The only drawback to the Airsafe in my opinion is the weight of the thing...so what I did was buy a motorcycle lift from harbor frieght..it works great..if you want pictures...email me at rgill@clearwire.net I will send you pictures...
Old 06-15-2012, 08:43 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Went from the comfort of a Classic 280 MH to the harsh and bumpy ride of the trailer. The AirSafe has made the ride tolerable. Drawbacks are getting it adjusted correctly and sway. I have not solved the sway yet but need to before our next trip. Overall I would not tow withiout our AirSafe. Even over RR tracks you feel nothing in the TV. Added advantage is that the ttrailer is not bouncing around.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:51 AM   #10
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Love the Airsafe hitch. The tongue weight of our slideout would influence the truck greatly but now that energy is isolated to the workings of the hitch. I really like the concept but its weird to look in the rear view mirror and see the trailer moving independantly of the truck.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:28 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
We have a Hensley Arrow WD system, and love it. Any opinions on using an Air Safe system combined with the Hensley?
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:39 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2012 23' Flying Cloud
Sacramento , California
I would add my voice to the positive chorus. I have used an airsafe V for two years on my 2010 Tundra and pulled a 2008 25' Classic and now my 2012 23' Flying Cloud. The airsafe dramatically reduces the hit your trailer takes from starts/stops, poor roads (all that CA has right now), and unexpected maneuvers.
Dillon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:04 PM   #13
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillon2 View Post
I would add my voice to the positive chorus. I have used an airsafe V for two years on my 2010 Tundra and pulled a 2008 25' Classic and now my 2012 23' Flying Cloud. The airsafe dramatically reduces the hit your trailer takes from starts/stops, poor roads (all that CA has right now), and unexpected maneuvers.

I agree that it certainly reduces the shock of the potholes and rough road but dont think the four links do anything but allow up and down movement. The stops and starts are probably not affected by the airsafe. I am a big fan too though

Vinnie

Old 06-21-2012, 11:49 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2001 34' Excella
Edinburg , Texas
Well, I purchased the Air Safe & have installed it on my F350 also using the Equalizer 4 point W/D. I hitched to the 34' Excella & the level is perfect & the W/D bars look right.

We will be off next week to British Columbia from our present location on Cape Blanco OR,
so as soon as I have experience & an internet hookup I will report back.

Thanks again for all of the ideas & comments.
Old 06-21-2012, 12:32 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
I guess the question I have is......would you need this hitch if your tow vehicles were not giving the trailer such a stiff ride. We tow with a 1/2 ton Tahoe with a Hensley arrow with 1000lb bars and very little moves around inside the trailer.

The Tahoe was bought with the KSL heavy duty tow package and I have a mostly abandoned cat scale on Hwy 16 that I use to see how my weight is being distributed. I've spent a lot of time there just experimenting. The set-up itself is giving the trailer a soft ride. Compensating for a tow vehicles stiff ride with this hitch makes no sense to me. Why not get a TV that gives the trailer a soft ride in of itself?

I sometimes think products like this would not be needed if TV were not so massive and oversized.

I also know I've opened up a can of worms but this thread made me think....

Dan
Old 06-21-2012, 01:47 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky View Post
I guess the question I have is......would you need this hitch if your tow vehicles were not giving the trailer such a stiff ride. We tow with a 1/2 ton Tahoe with a Hensley arrow with 1000lb bars and very little moves around inside the trailer.

The Tahoe was bought with the KSL heavy duty tow package and I have a mostly abandoned cat scale on Hwy 16 that I use to see how my weight is being distributed. I've spent a lot of time there just experimenting. The set-up itself is giving the trailer a soft ride. Compensating for a tow vehicles stiff ride with this hitch makes no sense to me. Why not get a TV that gives the trailer a soft ride in of itself?

I sometimes think products like this would not be needed if TV were not so massive and oversized.

Dan
Worm can is open, but it makes sense to everyone except those who don't believe it. And that's quite a few, some of whom will defend their position with a safety warning to you.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 03:25 PM   #17
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
[QUOTE=danlehosky;1164094]I guess the question I have is......would you need this hitch if your tow vehicles were not giving the trailer such a stiff ride. We tow with a 1/2 ton Tahoe with a Hensley arrow with 1000lb bars and very little moves around inside the trailer.

Dan

Hi Dan,

My service truck is also my tow vehicle and is currently weighing in at 13,100 lbs. Its not as uncomfortable to ride in as one might think but that rear spring pack is just bearly on the overloads. I dont want to transfer that shock into the airstream. The airsafe makes this combination possible and I dont have to buy another truck to do something this truck is perfectly capable of doing. My airsafe hich is a class 6 which is 2000 lbs of tongue weight and 20,000 lbs of towing weight. I think most folks could get away with a class 5 as they dont tow the heavy slideout models. This is a good thread. Thanks

Vinnie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crewcab1.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	161506  

Old 06-21-2012, 03:33 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
I love mine... reduces fatigue on me AND the trailer. It absolutely makes stops and starts softer, as any change in velocity between trailer and TV is going to create an up/down movement. Dampening that movement reduces bouncing... allowing the trailer suspension to work WITH the tow vehicle gives a much improved ride for the trailer.

As mentioned... those that doubt it are the ones that haven't tried it. By itself, it does not address WD in any way...

I have about 12,000km on mine, never had to add air to it yet... works great.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Air Safe claims it reduces trailer sway. Could anyone explain how?

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 05:47 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
Sway wasn't a problem before and I don't know that sway changed when I added my AirSafe 4 months ago; however, I've definitely experienced a noticeable softening of my ride when towing with my 1/2 ton truck.
UAPachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote