Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-13-2013, 08:54 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
I think you should be fine when everything is all together. With your ball angled aft and the slight drop form the trailer and what ever you put in the bed it should work out. I set mine up by measurements as well and had to adjust it when I finally got the trailer all dialed in. The other thing to remember is you dont need all the WD due to the load capacity of the 350. You will need enough just to get your front end back alignment with your rear end (both having the same drop in height). With the 2500 i am only transferrin a few 100 pounds fwd so my heights are in the same relation as they are with out the hitch only a tad bit lower. what weight bars are you going to use?
Old 01-13-2013, 09:08 AM   #42
George

2007 25' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxbuoy View Post
I think you should be fine when everything is all together. With your ball angled aft and the slight drop form the trailer and what ever you put in the bed it should work out. I set mine up by measurements as well and had to adjust it when I finally got the trailer all dialed in. The other thing to remember is you dont need all the WD due to the load capacity of the 350. You will need enough just to get your front end back alignment with your rear end (both having the same drop in height). With the 2500 i am only transferrin a few 100 pounds fwd so my heights are in the same relation as they are with out the hitch only a tad bit lower. what weight bars are you going to use?
I'm using the 1000lb bars I already have. I realize that the unladen ball height should be higher to allow for compression. I just hadn't imagined that the total compression might amount to 3.5". When you transfer less weight, as you suggest, the truck spring compression should be even less, no?
Maybe a combination of compression and less air in the hitch air bag will get it close enough to level.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:45 AM   #43
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
You should only be using 600 or 800 lbs bars. 1000lb bars are way to bug for a 350! Andy from inland rv would know best. when it stops raining. i will run out and see what my starting height wAs and take a pic of the airsafe
Old 01-13-2013, 12:41 PM   #44
George

2007 25' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Thanks wxbuoy. With the Equal-I-zer brand the bars work a bit differently, they're not interchangeable between hitch heads. I have a 10,000 lb head, which takes only 1000 lb bars. It probably doesn't have the same stiffness as a similarly rated Reese bar.
When looking at their hitch selector application on the website, it even suggests a 12000 lb head for my numbers (max 8000 lb Airstream).
George
Old 01-13-2013, 01:24 PM   #45
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
George,

What's the measurement to the bottom of the receiver (or bottom of receiver insert in your case)? Mine is 17" I am using the bottom hole as well. Everything is dead level in my set up.

Interesting about the WD bars. I originally was outfitted with 1200 lb bars since that is what they suggested as well (e-z-lift). But after a lot of research I bought a Reese and dialed it back to 800. I don't have any experience with the equalizer hitches.

I am interested to see how yours finally lines up and if not what Airsafe can do for you. Since they are designed for these size trucks, I am sure it should line up well. I would take fender readings before hook up, after hook up with out WD and than with WD.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
You should only be using 600 or 800 lbs bars. 1000lb bars are way to bug for a 350! Andy from inland rv would know best. when it stops raining. i will run out and see what my starting height wAs and take a pic of the airsafe
With an Airsafe in combination with a WD hitch. The bar rating does not seem to be critical as the airbag is a shock absorber and has a similar function to the spring bars. I have been using 1000# bars with my Tradewind that has a 500# tongue weight for years and it works great.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #47
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
With an Airsafe in combination with a WD hitch. The bar rating does not seem to be critical as the airbag is a shock absorber and has a similar function to the spring bars. I have been using 1000# bars with my Tradewind that has a 500# tongue weight for years and it works great.
I would agree the airbag removes the majority of the shock, I was looking at the weight reductions on the back of a truck that can easily handle it. WHich is why I got the airsafe. It made the ride for the trailer much better. The truck rides much better with weight in the back end due to the heavy springs of the 350. I was looking matching his springs to the weight being transferred.

But it will at least ride better than with out a tow even with the heavy bars. But man, talk about a dream ride with a tow on an airsafe hitch. It is sooooo much better than just the truck alone!
Old 01-13-2013, 03:37 PM   #48
George

2007 25' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
George,

What's the measurement to the bottom of the receiver (or bottom of receiver insert in your case)? Mine is 17" I am using the bottom hole as well. Everything is dead level in my set up.

Interesting about the WD bars. I originally was outfitted with 1200 lb bars since that is what they suggested as well (e-z-lift). But after a lot of research I bought a Reese and dialed it back to 800. I don't have any experience with the equalizer hitches.

I am interested to see how yours finally lines up and if not what Airsafe can do for you. Since they are designed for these size trucks, I am sure it should line up well. I would take fender readings before hook up, after hook up with out WD and than with WD.
Distance to inside bottom of my F350 receiver tube is 20.5", so 3.5" higher than yours.
Old 01-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
I do agree with those that say a softer riding TV can tow an Airstream just fine.

But, my Airstream is rarely the only toy I take along, so I need the extra load capacity of the 3/4 truck.

The AirSoft makes a healthy ride for the trailer and allows me a little peace of mind.

Regards,

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:41 PM   #50
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmc View Post
Distance to inside bottom of my F350 receiver tube is 20.5", so 3.5" higher than yours.
I would still try it, it may not make that much difference in the big skeem of things. I would definitely do it on a level surface with out the wd set. Take another set of measure ments and than set it at the minimum links and see where you are at.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:57 PM   #51
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
AirSafe Hitch V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamer67 View Post
My Class V AirSafe has served me well in the six years I've owned it. I tow with a heavily sprung pickup, and the AirSafe has stopped damage to my trailers. No more split skin, popped rivets or shaken-up contents. Just smooth sailing over the rough roads we travel.
I have the "EasyRider" Class V Hitch. Only issue is that it weighs 85 lbs plus. As AS67 said above, I too have a heavily sprung Dodge 2500 PU. With the smooth ride I Now "safely" go inside the trailer when I stop and not see everything out on the floor.

I am sure there will come a day that I'll be too weak to lift it onto the truck

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:07 PM   #52
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
Quote:
Can't post a picture of the complete setup yet, we're buried in snow here. I'm setting the hitch up at home. Mounted the hitch in a wood frame that is the same height off the floor as my new truck. Picture attached. I just noticed that the lowest bolt hole is 14.5" off the floor, so if I add 8" from that hole to the top of the ball I'd be at 22.5", not 19". Haven't got the extra Equalizer head yet.
My other TV is an Armada, with a lot lower hitch receiver. I got the F350 to increase load capacity, and got the Airsafe to address the supposed hard suspension concerns.
Wow ! I like this idea. Now you got me buying 2/4's to build one for me ! I think I might add wheels to get it around easier.

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:43 AM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
OK for reasons I will not go into I will be using a Freightliner M2/112 for my TV. I have read with some concern about frame damage using such a big truck. With that eather I will not be able to use a AS or I need a hitch to soften the ride. The truck will have all air ride on it and I am thinking of buying a 31 classic. Would love any imput from you all on what you think. This is the truck being used nothing else with a box on the back for extra storage and to hall toys so PLEASE do not say get another truck. Also links to the hitch sites would be nice Thanks
beetlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I don't know about the Freghtliner, but people do use an Airsafe with F350s and other 1 ton trucks. The idea is to not transfer road shock from the TV to the trailer.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Does Airsafe Hitch and Equalizer combination work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlebob View Post
OK for reasons I will not go into I will be using a Freightliner M2/112 for my TV. I have read with some concern about frame damage using such a big truck. With that eather I will not be able to use a AS or I need a hitch to soften the ride. The truck will have all air ride on it and I am thinking of buying a 31 classic. Would love any imput from you all on what you think. This is the truck being used nothing else with a box on the back for extra storage and to hall toys so PLEASE do not say get another truck. Also links to the hitch sites would be nice Thanks
Haven't scanned this thread entirely but in case others have not included it here is the link to the Air Safe site -

Air Safe Hitches, Hitch | Air Ride Hitch, Hitches

Equalizer, or correctly put "Equal-i-zer Hitch" is at -

Equal-i-zer® Hitch - The “American Original” with 4-Point Sway Control™ and Weight Distribution

(Two tries to fix and this link s-t-i-l-l looks goofy. Sigh.)

We have used the Equalizer/Air Safe combination for the last couple of years. From the tow vehicle we can perceive little difference between pre-Air Safe and post-

From inside the trailer we could tell a difference in the amount of motion the trailer experiences.

FWIW we also use the Centramatic dynamic wheel balancers. Dunno if that could be available for your TV but the Air Safe by itself should be worth a look.
Air #42313 TAC VA-7 WBCCI #1290
gsmithii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #56
George

2007 25' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Airsafe trial on hold

Unfortunately, my trial is on hold as my F350 was stolen two weeks ago. I assume I'll be in the market for another truck in the next month or so.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:41 AM   #57
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Condolences

Quote:
Unfortunately, my trial is on hold as my F350 was stolen two weeks ago. I assume I'll be in the market for another truck in the next month or so.
Sorry to learn about that. Good luck with insurance and with replacing your F350.
Air #42313 TAC VA-7 WBCCI #1290
gsmithii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #58
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
2011 30' International
mooresburg , Tennessee
does anyone have rock tamers with there air safe hitch. will they fit?
gtc6452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:56 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
I do, and didn't have to modify anything.
The Rock Tamers are heavy as is the hitch. I made up a cradle on wheels to aid me in installing the whole thing as a unit before a trip and also use it as a way to move the hitch and Tamers around in the garage when in storage.
Some mount their Rock Tamers to the extra holes in the Airsafe instead of using the hitch collar.
There is a thread someplace on this forum about how they did it. Maybe try the search function button for more info.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #60
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Tommy Bahama
2016 30' Flying Cloud
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
Airsafe with Rock Tamers

I had to order the longer shank in order to get my Rock Tamers on. Just came back from the Grand Canyon and the AirSafe did its job. Watch out for I40 coming east into Oklahoma City. Really rough road.
Rick
rperrym is offline   Reply With Quote