Old 09-04-2012, 02:13 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic S/O
Tustin , California
HI Vinnie,

Yeah, the money was a sore point for me too. I have a love hate relationship with the Dodge 3500, I love the torque, towing cap. but I hate the ride.

I know it would not be cheep to do this, but I was not winging it. My parents had a 5th wheel (actually they had three over the years, and three Dodge trucks), and the one set-up that really made my Mom tolerant of a road-trip, was the airbag set-up on my Dads' last truck.

My Dad got so tired of my mother complaining (she was, lets say, a full (.Y.) figured woman). He had airbags installed on the rear-end of his truck, and that did the trick. I tried to ask him what the brand was, and all the particulars, but he has Alzheimer's now and really can't remember.

I have had the Kelderman set-up for over a year now and I just love it. I Think I may have the front bags installed next, just for the hell of it. But the money is an issue.

I purchased the kit form Kelderman for Just under 2k with air pump option. I had it shipped to 4wheel Parts in Santa Rosa, and they installed it for about $900. So, really your looking at about $3k.

But it's been worth every penny to me.

Steve

Old 09-04-2012, 02:26 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
not sure how the airbags soften the ride? Do they take out some leaves when they install the air bags? or raise the truck higher from the leaves?

Old 09-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic S/O
Tustin , California
Hi Bill,

Well, it's hard to explain in a text, I wish I could draw a picture. But, the Idea is that you are supporting one side of each leaf spring pack, with an airbag (instead of the shackels that normally attached to the frame). Look closely at the youtube video I posted and you will see the system in motion.

Hope that helps.

Steve
Old 09-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #32
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBeast View Post
HI Vinnie,

Yeah, the money was a sore point for me too. I have a love hate relationship with the Dodge 3500, I love the torque, towing cap. but I hate the ride.

I know it would not be cheep to do this, but I was not winging it. My parents had a 5th wheel (actually they had three over the years, and three Dodge trucks), and the one set-up that really made my Mom tolerant of a road-trip, was the airbag set-up on my Dads' last truck.

My Dad got so tired of my mother complaining (she was, lets say, a full (.Y.) figured woman). He had airbags installed on the rear-end of his truck, and that did the trick. I tried to ask him what the brand was, and all the particulars, but he has Alzheimer's now and really can't remember.

I have had the Kelderman set-up for over a year now and I just love it. I Think I may have the front bags installed next, just for the hell of it. But the money is an issue.

I purchased the kit form Kelderman for Just under 2k with air pump option. I had it shipped to 4wheel Parts in Santa Rosa, and they installed it for about $900. So, really your looking at about $3k.

But it's been worth every penny to me.

Steve
Would love to see the setup if your ever swinging by Corby auto row...

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:25 PM   #33
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Plenty of write ups over the years on KELDERMANN available in a search. Other sources include the newer FIRESTONE R4Tech (my current choice, just need the $$), the system by AIRBAGIT, and some others. The 4WD guys can do a pretty good job of dissecting pros and cons.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 11:03 PM   #34
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Yup. agreed.

Lets keep this thread specific to Airsafe.

Vinnie

Old 09-04-2012, 11:25 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic S/O
Tustin , California
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. I have no commercial interest in any of the for-mentioned companies.

Vinnie, next time I'm down that way I will PM you.

Steve
Old 09-04-2012, 11:33 PM   #36
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBeast View Post
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. I have no commercial interest in any of the for-mentioned companies.

Vinnie, next time I'm down that way I will PM you.

Steve
Excellent... look forward to it

Old 09-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2001 34' Excella
Edinburg , Texas
The Air Safe hitch is all it is claimed to be, the service is great when you have a question.

I would not drive without it; not only does it improve rough roads, it improves the ride on even the best surfaces. Well worth the money.

Jim
Old 01-12-2013, 09:29 PM   #38
George

2007 25' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
I just received an Airsafe hitch and am in the process of setting it up with an Equal-I-zer hitch head. Plan to use it on an F350. The Weight Distribution bracket that I got with it looks too short. It's 12" and I think I'd need about 16" but their website doesn't list longer models.
What did others do?
Old 01-13-2013, 08:10 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Please post a pic. I have the airsafe set up with a reese wd hitch for a chevy 2500. it should be almost a direct swap the airsafe actually adds a few inches horizontal
Old 01-13-2013, 09:35 AM   #40
George

2007 25' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Can't post a picture of the complete setup yet, we're buried in snow here. I'm setting the hitch up at home. Mounted the hitch in a wood frame that is the same height off the floor as my new truck. Picture attached. I just noticed that the lowest bolt hole is 14.5" off the floor, so if I add 8" from that hole to the top of the ball I'd be at 22.5", not 19". Haven't got the extra Equalizer head yet.
My other TV is an Armada, with a lot lower hitch receiver. I got the F350 to increase load capacity, and got the Airsafe to address the supposed hard suspension concerns.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1777387644.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	422.7 KB
ID:	176581  
Old 01-13-2013, 09:54 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1991 35' Airstream 350
Carriere , Mississippi
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
I think you should be fine when everything is all together. With your ball angled aft and the slight drop form the trailer and what ever you put in the bed it should work out. I set mine up by measurements as well and had to adjust it when I finally got the trailer all dialed in. The other thing to remember is you dont need all the WD due to the load capacity of the 350. You will need enough just to get your front end back alignment with your rear end (both having the same drop in height). With the 2500 i am only transferrin a few 100 pounds fwd so my heights are in the same relation as they are with out the hitch only a tad bit lower. what weight bars are you going to use?
Old 01-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #42
George

2007 25' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxbuoy View Post
I think you should be fine when everything is all together. With your ball angled aft and the slight drop form the trailer and what ever you put in the bed it should work out. I set mine up by measurements as well and had to adjust it when I finally got the trailer all dialed in. The other thing to remember is you dont need all the WD due to the load capacity of the 350. You will need enough just to get your front end back alignment with your rear end (both having the same drop in height). With the 2500 i am only transferrin a few 100 pounds fwd so my heights are in the same relation as they are with out the hitch only a tad bit lower. what weight bars are you going to use?
I'm using the 1000lb bars I already have. I realize that the unladen ball height should be higher to allow for compression. I just hadn't imagined that the total compression might amount to 3.5". When you transfer less weight, as you suggest, the truck spring compression should be even less, no?
Maybe a combination of compression and less air in the hitch air bag will get it close enough to level.