Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2012, 04:06 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1997 30' Limited
Omaha , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Air Safe claims it reduces trailer sway. Could anyone explain how?

doug k

That's a good question, Doug. I've been using the AirSafe for two years now and haven't noticed any difference in sway control from previous set-ups, but there is no question about its effectiveness in ride comfort for both TV and trailer, especially the elimination of porpoising.

Now back to the question. My experience in watching the trailer in the mirror is that the tongue and trailer move up and down, somewhat independently, within limits, of the TV. Perhaps this ability to move independently of the TV keeps the TV's wheels more firmly planted to the pavement with less "tail-wagging-the-dog" effect, thus reducing sway.

I doubt if it's sway control ability was much of a factor when most people purchased the hitch. It certainly wasn't for me.

Jim

WBCCI #22116
JimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Air Safe claims it reduces trailer sway. Could anyone explain how?

doug k
Every time the hitch moves up or down, you are changing the distance between the axles of the TV and trailer... that energy has to go somewhere, and left by itself some of the energy can cause sway. Essentially, the trailer is accelerating and decelerating when it hits a bump.

I wouldn't call the Airsafe 'sway control', but it would have the effect of reducing the amount of energy the tow vehicle has to absorb (and cushions your transmission from the shock as well) which could possibly be directed into creating a sway movement but is now absorbed.

I tow a smaller trailer without sway control, and the Airsafe makes it even more stable... or maybe I should say, it isolates the bouncing around from the tow vehicle and lets each suspension do what it is designed to do, rather than fighting both with a WD setup.

I can't speak to it's effect on a big rig... but is works great on my little rig.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2001 34' Excella
Edinburg , Texas
I have been out of internet hookup for quite a while.

I have driven the Air Safe about 1000 miles & it is GREAT!
The F350 rides better hooked than solo & the improvement is even noticeable on smooth roads, on rough roads it is super. Well worth the money.
jbailey01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:25 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic S/O
Tustin , California
I know this post is old, but I saw it and just wanted to share my solution to this problem of ride quality and HD trucks.
I was looking at getting the AirSafe hitch also. In fact I was getting all of their emails and "special price discounts", I was ready to pull the trigger when I saw the Kelderman air ride suspension system on youtube.

The one thing I didn't like about the airride hitch set-up is that it would do nothing to improve the ride quality of my 2008 Dodge truck, when not hooked up to the beast. Like Vinnie, I use my truck for work and I love it, but the ride gets to me, sometimes. (ok all the time). But I have to say this Kelderman set-up really tamed the beast and the ride quality of the truck when not under load.

This is the set-up on an other truck, but it looks about the same on a dodge. http://www.youtube.com/v/qLlVa1N_6Ss...3&hl=en_US

It did take a bit of time to get this set-up dialed-in. And when I'm hitched-up I have to adjust the air presses, to get everything level, but that takes about three minutes.
SilverBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:56 PM   #25
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Thats a nice setup SilverBeast,

Seems like its alot of apparatus after the rear axle? I would like to see it mounted to something other than a party bus. Thanks for sharing this.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 10:14 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic S/O
Tustin , California
Hi Vinnie,
Yes, I think that video is showing something more heavy duty. But the idea is the same, you are basically taking the leaf spring pack and turning it in to a lever, with one end that hinges and the other, sitting on the air bag. The axle is the fulcrum.

These photos are more accurate for the Dodge 3500, you can see that the bags sit near the inside of the rear bumper.

-Steve-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-09-03 at 8.54.57 PM.png
Views:	143
Size:	452.2 KB
ID:	167429   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-09-03 at 8.58.11 PM.png
Views:	181
Size:	503.5 KB
ID:	167430  

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-09-03 at 8.58.37 PM.png
Views:	131
Size:	413.8 KB
ID:	167431  
Old 09-03-2012, 11:02 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky View Post
... Compensating for a tow vehicles stiff ride with this hitch makes no sense to me. Why not get a TV that gives the trailer a soft ride in of itself?

I sometimes think products like this would not be needed if TV were not so massive and oversized.

I also know I've opened up a can of worms but this thread made me think....

Dan
Perhaps some - like us - wanted torque from the diesel option in a truck capable vehicle and could only buy one (at least locally) in 3/4 ton trim. Our F150 simply was under powered on mountain passes around here; braking on downhills was iffy, and the transmission could not handle the load coming or going. Now we are contemplating a softer spring package for the 3/4 T rear axle. The mass and size are a positive attribute in our engineering assessment but the suspension could take a toll on the lightly built AS. YMMV
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:52 AM   #28
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBeast View Post
Hi Vinnie,
Yes, I think that video is showing something more heavy duty. But the idea is the same, you are basically taking the leaf spring pack and turning it in to a lever, with one end that hinges and the other, sitting on the air bag. The axle is the fulcrum.

These photos are more accurate for the Dodge 3500, you can see that the bags sit near the inside of the rear bumper.

-Steve-
Thanks for the pictures Steve.

I was wondering how the hitch would incorporate into all that equipment since it takes up so much area. Sure would make my truck more pleasurable to drive. Now the big question.. how much $

Vinnie

Old 09-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic S/O
Tustin , California
HI Vinnie,

Yeah, the money was a sore point for me too. I have a love hate relationship with the Dodge 3500, I love the torque, towing cap. but I hate the ride.

I know it would not be cheep to do this, but I was not winging it. My parents had a 5th wheel (actually they had three over the years, and three Dodge trucks), and the one set-up that really made my Mom tolerant of a road-trip, was the airbag set-up on my Dads' last truck.

My Dad got so tired of my mother complaining (she was, lets say, a full (.Y.) figured woman). He had airbags installed on the rear-end of his truck, and that did the trick. I tried to ask him what the brand was, and all the particulars, but he has Alzheimer's now and really can't remember.

I have had the Kelderman set-up for over a year now and I just love it. I Think I may have the front bags installed next, just for the hell of it. But the money is an issue.

I purchased the kit form Kelderman for Just under 2k with air pump option. I had it shipped to 4wheel Parts in Santa Rosa, and they installed it for about $900. So, really your looking at about $3k.

But it's been worth every penny to me.

Steve
Old 09-04-2012, 01:26 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
not sure how the airbags soften the ride? Do they take out some leaves when they install the air bags? or raise the truck higher from the leaves?
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic S/O
Tustin , California
Hi Bill,

Well, it's hard to explain in a text, I wish I could draw a picture. But, the Idea is that you are supporting one side of each leaf spring pack, with an airbag (instead of the shackels that normally attached to the frame). Look closely at the youtube video I posted and you will see the system in motion.

Hope that helps.

Steve
Old 09-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #32
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Quote:
HI Vinnie,

Yeah, the money was a sore point for me too. I have a love hate relationship with the Dodge 3500, I love the torque, towing cap. but I hate the ride.

I know it would not be cheep to do this, but I was not winging it. My parents had a 5th wheel (actually they had three over the years, and three Dodge trucks), and the one set-up that really made my Mom tolerant of a road-trip, was the airbag set-up on my Dads' last truck.

My Dad got so tired of my mother complaining (she was, lets say, a full (.Y.) figured woman). He had airbags installed on the rear-end of his truck, and that did the trick. I tried to ask him what the brand was, and all the particulars, but he has Alzheimer's now and really can't remember.

I have had the Kelderman set-up for over a year now and I just love it. I Think I may have the front bags installed next, just for the hell of it. But the money is an issue.

I purchased the kit form Kelderman for Just under 2k with air pump option. I had it shipped to 4wheel Parts in Santa Rosa, and they installed it for about $900. So, really your looking at about $3k.

But it's been worth every penny to me.

Steve
Would love to see the setup if your ever swinging by Corby auto row...

Vinnie

Old 09-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #33
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Plenty of write ups over the years on KELDERMANN available in a search. Other sources include the newer FIRESTONE R4Tech (my current choice, just need the $$), the system by AIRBAGIT, and some others. The 4WD guys can do a pretty good job of dissecting pros and cons.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 10:03 PM   #34
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Yup. agreed.

Lets keep this thread specific to Airsafe.

Vinnie

Old 09-04-2012, 10:25 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic S/O
Tustin , California
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. I have no commercial interest in any of the for-mentioned companies.

Vinnie, next time I'm down that way I will PM you.

Steve
Old 09-04-2012, 10:33 PM   #36
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Quote:
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. I have no commercial interest in any of the for-mentioned companies.

Vinnie, next time I'm down that way I will PM you.

Steve
Excellent... look forward to it

Old 09-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2001 34' Excella
Edinburg , Texas
The Air Safe hitch is all it is claimed to be, the service is great when you have a question.

I would not drive without it; not only does it improve rough roads, it improves the ride on even the best surfaces. Well worth the money.

Jim
jbailey01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:29 PM   #38
George

2007 25' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
I just received an Airsafe hitch and am in the process of setting it up with an Equal-I-zer hitch head. Plan to use it on an F350. The Weight Distribution bracket that I got with it looks too short. It's 12" and I think I'd need about 16" but their website doesn't list longer models.
What did others do?
Old 01-13-2013, 07:10 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
Please post a pic. I have the airsafe set up with a reese wd hitch for a chevy 2500. it should be almost a direct swap the airsafe actually adds a few inches horizontal
Old 01-13-2013, 08:35 AM   #40
George

2007 25' Classic
Calgary , Alberta
Can't post a picture of the complete setup yet, we're buried in snow here. I'm setting the hitch up at home. Mounted the hitch in a wood frame that is the same height off the floor as my new truck. Picture attached. I just noticed that the lowest bolt hole is 14.5" off the floor, so if I add 8" from that hole to the top of the ball I'd be at 22.5", not 19". Haven't got the extra Equalizer head yet.
My other TV is an Armada, with a lot lower hitch receiver. I got the F350 to increase load capacity, and got the Airsafe to address the supposed hard suspension concerns.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-1777387644.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	422.7 KB
ID:	176581