Old 06-21-2012, 01:32 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
I guess the question I have is......would you need this hitch if your tow vehicles were not giving the trailer such a stiff ride. We tow with a 1/2 ton Tahoe with a Hensley arrow with 1000lb bars and very little moves around inside the trailer.

The Tahoe was bought with the KSL heavy duty tow package and I have a mostly abandoned cat scale on Hwy 16 that I use to see how my weight is being distributed. I've spent a lot of time there just experimenting. The set-up itself is giving the trailer a soft ride. Compensating for a tow vehicles stiff ride with this hitch makes no sense to me. Why not get a TV that gives the trailer a soft ride in of itself?

I sometimes think products like this would not be needed if TV were not so massive and oversized.

I also know I've opened up a can of worms but this thread made me think....

Dan

Old 06-21-2012, 02:47 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky View Post
I guess the question I have is......would you need this hitch if your tow vehicles were not giving the trailer such a stiff ride. We tow with a 1/2 ton Tahoe with a Hensley arrow with 1000lb bars and very little moves around inside the trailer.

The Tahoe was bought with the KSL heavy duty tow package and I have a mostly abandoned cat scale on Hwy 16 that I use to see how my weight is being distributed. I've spent a lot of time there just experimenting. The set-up itself is giving the trailer a soft ride. Compensating for a tow vehicles stiff ride with this hitch makes no sense to me. Why not get a TV that gives the trailer a soft ride in of itself?

I sometimes think products like this would not be needed if TV were not so massive and oversized.

Dan
Worm can is open, but it makes sense to everyone except those who don't believe it. And that's quite a few, some of whom will defend their position with a safety warning to you.

doug k

Old 06-21-2012, 04:25 PM   #17
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
[QUOTE=danlehosky;1164094]I guess the question I have is......would you need this hitch if your tow vehicles were not giving the trailer such a stiff ride. We tow with a 1/2 ton Tahoe with a Hensley arrow with 1000lb bars and very little moves around inside the trailer.

Dan

Hi Dan,

My service truck is also my tow vehicle and is currently weighing in at 13,100 lbs. Its not as uncomfortable to ride in as one might think but that rear spring pack is just bearly on the overloads. I dont want to transfer that shock into the airstream. The airsafe makes this combination possible and I dont have to buy another truck to do something this truck is perfectly capable of doing. My airsafe hich is a class 6 which is 2000 lbs of tongue weight and 20,000 lbs of towing weight. I think most folks could get away with a class 5 as they dont tow the heavy slideout models. This is a good thread. Thanks

Vinnie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crewcab1.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	161506  

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
I love mine... reduces fatigue on me AND the trailer. It absolutely makes stops and starts softer, as any change in velocity between trailer and TV is going to create an up/down movement. Dampening that movement reduces bouncing... allowing the trailer suspension to work WITH the tow vehicle gives a much improved ride for the trailer.

As mentioned... those that doubt it are the ones that haven't tried it. By itself, it does not address WD in any way...

I have about 12,000km on mine, never had to add air to it yet... works great.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Air Safe claims it reduces trailer sway. Could anyone explain how?

doug k
Old 06-21-2012, 06:47 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
Sway wasn't a problem before and I don't know that sway changed when I added my AirSafe 4 months ago; however, I've definitely experienced a noticeable softening of my ride when towing with my 1/2 ton truck.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:06 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1997 30' Limited
Omaha , Nebraska
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post

doug k

That's a good question, Doug. I've been using the AirSafe for two years now and haven't noticed any difference in sway control from previous set-ups, but there is no question about its effectiveness in ride comfort for both TV and trailer, especially the elimination of porpoising.

Now back to the question. My experience in watching the trailer in the mirror is that the tongue and trailer move up and down, somewhat independently, within limits, of the TV. Perhaps this ability to move independently of the TV keeps the TV's wheels more firmly planted to the pavement with less "tail-wagging-the-dog" effect, thus reducing sway.

I doubt if it's sway control ability was much of a factor when most people purchased the hitch. It certainly wasn't for me.

Jim

WBCCI #22116
JimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:03 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post

doug k
Every time the hitch moves up or down, you are changing the distance between the axles of the TV and trailer... that energy has to go somewhere, and left by itself some of the energy can cause sway. Essentially, the trailer is accelerating and decelerating when it hits a bump.

I wouldn't call the Airsafe 'sway control', but it would have the effect of reducing the amount of energy the tow vehicle has to absorb (and cushions your transmission from the shock as well) which could possibly be directed into creating a sway movement but is now absorbed.

I tow a smaller trailer without sway control, and the Airsafe makes it even more stable... or maybe I should say, it isolates the bouncing around from the tow vehicle and lets each suspension do what it is designed to do, rather than fighting both with a WD setup.

I can't speak to it's effect on a big rig... but is works great on my little rig.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:13 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2001 34' Excella
Edinburg , Texas
I have been out of internet hookup for quite a while.

I have driven the Air Safe about 1000 miles & it is GREAT!
The F350 rides better hooked than solo & the improvement is even noticeable on smooth roads, on rough roads it is super. Well worth the money.
Old 09-03-2012, 06:25 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic S/O
Tustin , California
I know this post is old, but I saw it and just wanted to share my solution to this problem of ride quality and HD trucks.
I was looking at getting the AirSafe hitch also. In fact I was getting all of their emails and "special price discounts", I was ready to pull the trigger when I saw the Kelderman air ride suspension system on youtube.

The one thing I didn't like about the airride hitch set-up is that it would do nothing to improve the ride quality of my 2008 Dodge truck, when not hooked up to the beast. Like Vinnie, I use my truck for work and I love it, but the ride gets to me, sometimes. (ok all the time). But I have to say this Kelderman set-up really tamed the beast and the ride quality of the truck when not under load.

This is the set-up on an other truck, but it looks about the same on a dodge. http://www.youtube.com/v/qLlVa1N_6Ss...3&hl=en_US

It did take a bit of time to get this set-up dialed-in. And when I'm hitched-up I have to adjust the air presses, to get everything level, but that takes about three minutes.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:56 PM   #25
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Thats a nice setup SilverBeast,

Seems like its alot of apparatus after the rear axle? I would like to see it mounted to something other than a party bus. Thanks for sharing this.

Vinnie

Old 09-03-2012, 11:14 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic S/O
Tustin , California
Hi Vinnie,
Yes, I think that video is showing something more heavy duty. But the idea is the same, you are basically taking the leaf spring pack and turning it in to a lever, with one end that hinges and the other, sitting on the air bag. The axle is the fulcrum.

These photos are more accurate for the Dodge 3500, you can see that the bags sit near the inside of the rear bumper.

-Steve-
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-09-03 at 8.54.57 PM.png
Views:	90
Size:	452.2 KB
ID:	167429   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-09-03 at 8.58.11 PM.png
Views:	135
Size:	503.5 KB
ID:	167430  

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-09-03 at 8.58.37 PM.png
Views:	90
Size:	413.8 KB
ID:	167431  
Old 09-04-2012, 12:02 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky View Post
... Compensating for a tow vehicles stiff ride with this hitch makes no sense to me. Why not get a TV that gives the trailer a soft ride in of itself?

Dan
Perhaps some - like us - wanted torque from the diesel option in a truck capable vehicle and could only buy one (at least locally) in 3/4 ton trim. Our F150 simply was under powered on mountain passes around here; braking on downhills was iffy, and the transmission could not handle the load coming or going. Now we are contemplating a softer spring package for the 3/4 T rear axle. The mass and size are a positive attribute in our engineering assessment but the suspension could take a toll on the lightly built AS. YMMV
Old 09-04-2012, 08:52 AM   #28
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBeast View Post
Hi Vinnie,
Yes, I think that video is showing something more heavy duty. But the idea is the same, you are basically taking the leaf spring pack and turning it in to a lever, with one end that hinges and the other, sitting on the air bag. The axle is the fulcrum.

These photos are more accurate for the Dodge 3500, you can see that the bags sit near the inside of the rear bumper.

-Steve-
Thanks for the pictures Steve.

I was wondering how the hitch would incorporate into all that equipment since it takes up so much area. Sure would make my truck more pleasurable to drive. Now the big question.. how much $

Vinnie