Old 06-01-2010, 11:33 PM   #99
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C View Post
The trip is going very well so far, we will be leaving Goshen, Indiana tomorrow morning, heading to Iowa. After that, two more stops, stateside, then to Sweetgrass, Montana for the Canadian leg.

Probably will be another 10 days or so. As I've mentioned frequently, we're not on a time schedule, and it really is great not having to follow a fixed schedule...
Larry
Hey Larry,

Is there any cleaning necessary for the airsafe? Just thinking about all that road grit that will get whipped up into the linkages and sliders on your extensive trip. Did they suggest that you lubricate it or do any maintenance at all??

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:13 AM   #100
4 Rivet Member

I've had my AirSafe for a few years now and it's been a long time since I've read the instructions, but I don't recall any indicated maintenance beyond making sure the nuts stay tight and such obvious stuff.

Mine has been towed from one coast to the other, and I've never felt the need to dust it off. In my case, it seems to be well protected from road dirt and keeps clean by itself. It gets squirted with the hose once in a while when I feel the need to wash the rig (a very rare need-feeling for me).

PS: OK, thinking about it, with me being sometimes too neurotic about things, I occasionally will squirt a bit of silicone spray where the four control arms meet the body and are cushioned by some type of high-tech nylon bushings or something. I may be doing more harm than good with the occasional silicone treatment, but it mindlessly makes me feel good just to be doing something for my little airbag buddy back there.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:52 AM   #101
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airslide View Post
Hey Larry,

Is there any cleaning necessary for the airsafe? Just thinking about all that road grit that will get whipped up into the linkages and sliders on your extensive trip. Did they suggest that you lubricate it or do any maintenance at all??
I pretty much agree that there's simply not much to clean. A good rinsing when you was the rig should take care of it. The way it's constructed, it's pretty fool proof.
An update on rough roads, we came across some hellish rough roads yesterday, on the way to Galena, Illinois. A couple of things moved around in the AS, but no problem.
I thanked God that I had the Airsafe. Still playing around with w/d bar tension, and pressure in the Airsafe. For my rig, it seems like about 52 psi in the bag and 5 links on the bars work fine, so far....
By the way, for the Cummins fans, I've averaged 15.8 mpg, so far during the first 1,700 miles of this trip....

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 09:01 AM   #102
4 Rivet Member

Wow, Larry C. That's great mileage!

I've been able to meet or exceed that on occasion with my old 96 F250 Powerstroke, but I can't average it over several fillups.

Are you hand-calculating or using the lie-o-meter to get your results? Are you traveling with all-tailwinds? Are you going downhill all the way? Are you maintaining a steady 45 mph?

Come on, there's got to be a reason :-)
Old 06-03-2010, 09:22 AM   #103
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Yup.. the Cummins will get that mileage towing. My Ford will get about 12 on average. Not bad I guess for hauling 16000 lbs combined down the road..

interesting that your still playing with the amount of air in the bag? Basically all your doing at this point is changing the height of the tongue right? Are the bars still level? It should'nt make a difference in the feel right?

Old 06-04-2010, 12:00 AM   #104
3 Rivet Member

1997 30' Limited
Omaha , Nebraska
For those of you who've used the Air Safe Hitch on extended trips or over a long period of time, I am wondering how often airbag pressure adjustments are needed. Have any of you tried using a bike tire pump with a Shraeder head to add pressure to the air bag?

Jim

WBCCI #22116
JimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:56 AM   #105
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
2007 Base Camp
Elk Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
For those of you who've used the Air Safe Hitch on extended trips or over a long period of time, I am wondering how often airbag pressure adjustments are needed. Have any of you tried using a bike tire pump with a Shraeder head to add pressure to the air bag?

Jim
No seepage on mine yet... I use their guideline and inflate until the hitch just bounces off the top stops. I use a bike pump and it is surprisingly easy and quick to fill... < 10 pumps gets me to 50lbs... I'm glad I didn't try my air compressor... it might have blown it up...
Old 06-04-2010, 07:37 AM   #106
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimW View Post
I am wondering how often airbag pressure adjustments are needed. Have any of you tried using a bike tire pump with a Shraeder head to add pressure to the air bag?
Jim
Mine slowly loses pressure over long periods, but I have never needed to add air when using the rig. I usually set the bars a bit above horizontal when I add air.

I use a cheap 12v air compressor that rides in the toolbox. The cord is barely long enough to reach from the lighter socket in the back seat of the truck to the hitch. A bike pump might work just as well since it never needs much air.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:51 PM   #107
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamer67 View Post
Wow, Larry C. That's great mileage!

I've been able to meet or exceed that on occasion with my old 96 F250 Powerstroke, but I can't average it over several fillups.

Are you hand-calculating or using the lie-o-meter to get your results? Are you traveling with all-tailwinds? Are you going downhill all the way? Are you maintaining a steady 45 mph?

Come on, there's got to be a reason :-)
This Dodge is a 2003, with a six speed manual. I drive by the tach, and very seldom is the RPM over 2000 RPM. My normal speed is between 60 and 65, I usually avoid Interstates if possible. This rig weighs a bit over 17,000# CGVW. In fact, coming across northern Illinois Tuesday this week, we were pushing 45 to 50 MPH headwinds most of the way.
I am using a calculator, and had had very few tailwinds on this trip.
Across northeastern Iowa, there is very little level ground.
I love my truck! The worse mileage I ever got pulling this AS was 13.5, on the way back from Maine a couple of years ago...

1996 34' Excella 1000, interior totally redone, 2003 Dodge/Cummins HO, U.S. Gear exhaust brake, Diablo tuner, 115 gallon aux fuel, Bedslide, Airsafe/Reese Dual Cam, and a bunch of other stuff
Old 06-04-2010, 10:56 PM   #108
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airslide View Post
Yup.. the Cummins will get that mileage towing. My Ford will get about 12 on average. Not bad I guess for hauling 16000 lbs combined down the road..

interesting that your still playing with the amount of air in the bag? Basically all your doing at this point is changing the height of the tongue right? Are the bars still level? It should'nt make a difference in the feel right?
Looks like the best pressure for me will be in the 50 - 53 # range. It does change the ball height a bit, but not enough to notice. The bars are just a bit of an upward slant. It makes a slight difference in the feel, especially across rough roads.....

Old 06-04-2010, 11:07 PM   #109
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Yeah I found that I run 55 lbs in the bag and the bars are level even with the class 6 and heavier tongue weight. That must be the sweet spot on pressure. Nice to hear things are working out on this big trip and the airsafe..

Old 06-05-2010, 03:51 AM   #110
4 Rivet Member

JimW, I've never experienced a pressure loss in the AirSafe hitch while on a trip. My longest trip so far has been about 5000 miles, which took a month or so. I never added a pound of pressure on that trip. Now, if the rig sits for several months, I might have to add a bit of air to bring it up to level when preparing for a trip.

My normal pressure is 50 psi loaded with my ~800 pounds tongue weight. It makes a difference if I measure the hitch loaded or unloaded. The pressure is higher when loaded than otherwise.

LarryC, that six-speed standard transmission probably helps, in addition to that efficient six-cylinder Cummins. I oped for the automatic when I bought my F250 V-8 diesel new in 1996, just in case my wife would need to drive it in an emergency (like if I break a leg after a binge or something).

My last long-trip mpg readings were from a 3500-mile trip, during which I recorded an overall average of 14.7 mpg. This included flats, mountains, and winds of all directions and varieties. Not as good as your Cummins, probably because I'm feeding a litter of cylinders that is 33% more numerous than your Cummins brood and harnessing the energy with a slippery auto transmission with only four speeds in inventory :-)

I guess you're getting close to the border. I bet you-all are excited about that.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:42 PM   #111
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamer67 View Post
JimW, I've never experienced a pressure loss in the AirSafe hitch while on a trip. My longest trip so far has been about 5000 miles, which took a month or so. I never added a pound of pressure on that trip. Now, if the rig sits for several months, I might have to add a bit of air to bring it up to level when preparing for a trip.

My normal pressure is 50 psi loaded with my ~800 pounds tongue weight. It makes a difference if I measure the hitch loaded or unloaded. The pressure is higher when loaded than otherwise.

LarryC, that six-speed standard transmission probably helps, in addition to that efficient six-cylinder Cummins. I oped for the automatic when I bought my F250 V-8 diesel new in 1996, just in case my wife would need to drive it in an emergency (like if I break a leg after a binge or something).

My last long-trip mpg readings were from a 3500-mile trip, during which I recorded an overall average of 14.7 mpg. This included flats, mountains, and winds of all directions and varieties. Not as good as your Cummins, or probably because I'm feeding a litter of cylinders that is 33% more numerous than your Cummins brood and harnessing the energy with a slippery auto transmission with only four speeds in inventory :-)

I guess you're getting close to the border. I bet you-all are excited about that.
We're still in northeastern Iowa, visiting friends along the Mississippit River. Such a beautiful place, they have on a cliff about 400 feet above the river. The lock and dam at Guttenberg (Lock 10), is only about a mile north, and we watch the barges locking through. We've been here since Thursday, and will be heading for Rapid City, South Dakota on Monday. It'll be another 10 days or so before we get into Alberta, at Sweetgrass, Montana. As you can see, we are taking our time on this trip.
Be advised, the roses smell great!
As for the mileage, there's no doubt in my mind that the 6 speed helps. As an update on mileage, we've driven so far 2133 miles, and averaged 15.1 MPG. I'm certainly not complaining!
Larry

Old 06-05-2010, 05:53 PM   #112
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Still a believer in the airsafe?