Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2014, 10:57 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Laguna Hills , California
Air Safe Air Hitch and WD hitch combo

Our plans are to buy a 3/4 ton pickup and new 30' Airstream International this summer. Considering the harsh ride a 3/4 ton pickup transfers to the trailer I'm impressed the Air Safe Air Hitch will allow the trailer to be far less thrashed about going down the road. My question is....Seems to me I'll also need a WD hitch? If so will the Anderson WD hitch work? If not what WD hitch would work best?
JBCrete2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 11:38 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Springfield , Virginia
The Reese dual cam works for me and my AirSafe hitch
lylesgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:02 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

I've been using an AirSafe since 2006 and can testify it does everything the maker claims it does.

It doesn't take a fancy hitch receiver to make it work right. I've been using an ole Eaz Lift (I think that's what it's called) with excellent results.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 09:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptightto View Post
Our plans are to buy a 3/4 ton pickup and new 30' Airstream International this summer. Considering the harsh ride a 3/4 ton pickup transfers to the trailer I'm impressed the Air Safe Air Hitch will allow the trailer to be far less thrashed about going down the road. My question is....Seems to me I'll also need a WD hitch? If so will the Anderson WD hitch work? If not what WD hitch would work best?
I seriously doubt the Anderson is capable of actually transferring the tongue weight of the 30' Airstream, and then there's the issue with it not being compatable with the coupler that Airstream uses.

I would think almost any other good brand of hitch would serve you better.

I will add that I have no experience with the AirSafe and will not comment on it's effectiveness. However, I will say that it does move the ball (pivot point) farther behind the rear axle of the tow vehicle, which I don't believe anyone will state is a good thing.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:51 AM   #5
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
This type of hitch works best with the heavier tow vehicles like your 3/4 ton truck. For your application it should be the ideal setup.
Old 01-10-2014, 02:11 PM   #6
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I used an AirSafe hitch with a Reese Dual-Cam for years with great success. It does move the pivot point back a bit, but I could barely detect a difference since the Dual-Cam really handles the sway tendency well.

I sold the AirSafe when I bought my ProPride.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:54 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
My experience with the troublesome Andersen is it will not transfer your tongue weight, not even close.

The Airsafe is interesting but like Pahaska above we bought a ProPride (1400# bars), and haven't looked back.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 08:32 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Harlingen , Texas
Depends on your weight distributing requirements. A late model GM 2500HD requires very little, for instance. The ride is greatly improved with the Andersen hitch. Quiet, lightweight, and clean are other attributes.
Rendrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 04:28 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
Since my TV is a 3/4 duramax diesel (2013) with a 30ft FC ( being built)will I notice much of a difference with the Reece dual cam, and Air Safe, versus going with the ProPride? My AS ships out from Ohio in February and I still have not committed to my hitch configuration as the dealer keeps encouraging me to make a choice as he will set up and give us a day of driving before leaving for home.
Luigi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:37 AM   #10

Cypress , Texas
I am still in research mode, won't need to make a decision until this time next year. I am learning,,,,,,when I'm not busy confusing myself :-)

This question is directed at Pahaska.....I guess you were using the Airsafe to avoid shaking the trailer while using a HD type TV, you converted to the ProPride, does the ProPride somehow avoid the problem of the shakes?
jpintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:53 AM   #11
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi123 View Post
Since my TV is a 3/4 duramax diesel (2013) with a 30ft FC ( being built)will I notice much of a difference with the Reece dual cam, and Air Safe, versus going with the ProPride?
I have had both combinations. i used the AirSafe and Reese Dual-Cam for 6 or 7 years on a DuraMax diesel, then went to the ProPride about 2 years ago.

The AirSafe rides a bit better, although the ProPride is not bad. Both are better than a simple equalizing hitch. I think the leverage of the longer hitches reduces the hitch weight seen by the TV and thus, the impacts of bad pavement.

The ProPride is way better in high winds, but I never had a bad moment with the AirSafe and Reese. I find the biggest difference in backing the trailer. With the ProPride, it takes longer to start a backward turn and definitely longer to stop the trailer turning. I notice this most when backing into my storage space. The extra length of the ProPride plus the slower reaction puts me a lot closer to the building across the way.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:40 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Ridgefield , Washington
We had an Air Safe hitch for our fifth wheel, loved it, and investigated to use an AirSafe for our AS. We found the ProPride WD hitch to be superior to other products…at least perfect for US!

The AirSafe hitch, if used in combination with a WD hitch, will probably lengthen your connection between truck and trailer by at least 12"…and in all honesty, probably is not necessary. The WD hitch is sufficient unto itself.

After purchasing our new AS, I fretted about the so called "rough ride" of our 3/4, but it is really not at all rough….tows like a dream. We have over 20,000 miles with the ProPride and have never had a problem. These anecdotal testimonies are statistically meaningless, but they do reflect individual experience.

I suggest you call ProPride and speak with them….. Zigi
Zigidachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 06:43 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigidachs View Post
We had an Air Safe hitch for our fifth wheel, loved it, and investigated to use an AirSafe for our AS. We found the ProPride WD hitch to be superior to other products…at least perfect for US!

The AirSafe hitch, if used in combination with a WD hitch, will probably lengthen your connection between truck and trailer by at least 12"…and in all honesty, probably is not necessary. The WD hitch is sufficient unto itself.

After purchasing our new AS, I fretted about the so called "rough ride" of our 3/4, but it is really not at all rough….tows like a dream. We have over 20,000 miles with the ProPride and have never had a problem. These anecdotal testimonies are statistically meaningless, but they do reflect individual experience.

I suggest you call ProPride and speak with them….. Zigi

For whatever it's worth, your key word here is "probably". It's pretty obvious that you've never had any experience with the AirSafe product.

My setup, (AirSafe and Reese Dual Cam) extended the ball less than 6 inches beyond the standard Reese tow bar. I've towed with this combination in excess of 75,000 miles, no sway (yaw), very comfortable ride, for both the AS and my Dodge/Cummins.

Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 07:46 AM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Harsh 2500 ride....

Welcome Aboard!!

"Our plans are to buy a 3/4 ton pickup"

I would be careful in stating that 'all' modern 2500 P/U's have a harsh ride, most do not and are very comfortable on the road.

As far as hitch choice goes the pivot point projection units are the top of the line in that regard and considering the total cost of TV & Airstream do not add much to the investment when amortized over time.

FWIW...we use a Hensley hitch with 1000lb WD bars and a 2500 Burb transferring 660lbs back to the TV steering axle with a 1200lb tongue weight.

Good Luck

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 09:12 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
There's much conversation about 3/4 ton trucks riding too rough for Airstream trailers. However, after towing four different Airstreams, with two different 3/4 ton trucks (a GMC 2500 and now a Ram 2500), I find the ride is more dependent on the weight distribution setup. In this time period I've also used two different WD hitches, a ProPride and a Reese SC. Both work well and ride well.

My experience is if you load a 3/4 ton truck with leaf spring rear suspension to the point that the rear suspension is always laying on the overload springs, it will ride rough. And by this, I mean using very little weight distribution.

If however, you adjust the weight distribution to full return the weight to the front axle, the rear suspension will not be constantly on the overloads, and therefore ride much better. The truck is capable of handling the weight either way, but will ride better, and handle better, if you adjust the WD to return the front axle to unhitched weight.

Just my experience, and YMMV, i.e. I don't want to argue about it.
Old 12-10-2014, 10:18 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
After using a Airsafe hitch I would not be without it.Wth my F350 is gives the Airstream a smooth tow.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:18 PM   #17
lucca53

1973 31' Excella 500
2004 22' Safari
2006 25' Safari
napa , California
Hi I have 2 airstreams one f350 I bought a new to us 2004 22foot Safari and without the safe air ride I would of had to get a different truck,so now I can tow my 1973 31 footer and the 22 no problems..and keep our 2004 f350 that we love

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
lucca53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2014, 07:26 PM   #18
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
I haven't used my Airsafe and Equalizer yet, but I think it's really going to make a big difference in ride for the AS. We've replaced the F250 with a new F350. It's a delight to drive.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 03:38 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
It rides much better with it.Even though these new F350's ride smooth to begin with for what they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 03:54 PM   #20
1 Rivet Member

2010 30' Classic
Allen , Texas
Set up on air safe with WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry C View Post
For whatever it's worth, your key word here is "probably". It's pretty obvious that you've never had any experience with the AirSafe product.

My setup, (AirSafe and Reese Dual Cam) extended the ball less than 6 inches beyond the standard Reese tow bar. I've towed with this combination in excess of 75,000 miles, no sway (yaw), very comfortable ride, for both the AS and my Dodge/Cummins.

Larry
Hi Larry, very helpful info. Did you set up the WD first and then add air to the air safe hitch? Seems like that would negate some of the weight distribution. I have a 3/4 ton diesel and 30 ft classic.
mikez98072 is offline   Reply With Quote