Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2008, 02:02 PM   #1
Raj Mahal

1990 29' Excella
lethbridge , Alberta
Air Ride Hitches

I have seen nothing here on this system or even if it is desirable--- or is it just another way to blow money?

link; http://www.airsafehitches.com/index....FR30IgodNmFebQ
ShikariJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:16 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I have one & there are some posts re; them. I like it as it smooths out the ride for the trailer and the TV ride. I use a 3500 dually so I was concerned about the suspension being too hard on the AS.
Phil Gobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:30 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Like Phil, I have a heavy dually. I haven't towed the AS with an AirRideHitch yet. I have used them in the past for other types of trailers and IMHO they do the job they are supposed to.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 02:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
I tow with a Ford F350, 4x4 w/offroad package. I've been thinnking about the airsafe set up, but am not convinced it will work well with the load equalizing system. Also, I don't think I am smart enough to know how far to 'drop' my current ball set up to end up with a ball height of 18.75" after airing up the hitch. Is this a major problem? Appreciate any pointers/etc.
Thanks.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 04:27 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

I have used an AirSafe hitch for the past several years with my F250 and Airstream International, and it delivers as advertised. Read what they say on their site, and I can verify their claims:

http://www.airsafehitches.com/index.html

I got tired of popping rivets on my International, and the AirRide stopped the process for me.

Relative to setting the proper hitch height, no problem. Just set the trailer on the hitch, put enough air to place the hitch's indicator to the level position for the hitch (ie, a mark that shows when the air pressure is sufficient to provide maximum up/down cushion from the Firestone air bags), and then see if the trailer is level. If it is not, note how much you have to adjust the hitch's mounting up/down, and move accordingly. The amount of air in the bags will not change, just how high or low you bolt the hitch mounting. It should be an easy process to do.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 04:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I wish they made an arrangement which would hook my Hensley Arrow up to my 2500hd.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 05:12 PM   #7
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
is my memory correct that this is a pricey item?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 06:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamer67 View Post
I have used an AirSafe hitch for the past several years with my F250 and Airstream International, and it delivers as advertised. Read what they say on their site, and I can verify their claims:

http://www.airsafehitches.com/index.html

I got tired of popping rivets on my International, and the AirRide stopped the process for me.

Relative to setting the proper hitch height, no problem. Just set the trailer on the hitch, put enough air to place the hitch's indicator to the level position for the hitch (ie, a mark that shows when the air pressure is sufficient to provide maximum up/down cushion from the Firestone air bags), and then see if the trailer is level. If it is not, note how much you have to adjust the hitch's mounting up/down, and move accordingly. The amount of air in the bags will not change, just how high or low you bolt the hitch mounting. It should be an easy process to do.
I did not read a word about sway control.

I did not notice any attachment that would offer any sway control.

It appears to be a gadget that simply changes the height of the ball, with absolutely no weight transfer.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:51 AM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
I did not read a word about sway control.

I did not notice any attachment that would offer any sway control.

It appears to be a gadget that simply changes the height of the ball, with absolutely no weight transfer.

Andy
They have the attachments points for both sway control and weight distribution hitches, depending on which class of unit you purchase. FWIW the lighter Class weight ones only have sway control mounting points. The sway control and WD require additional brackets that are listed below the hitches.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 08-25-2008, 04:09 AM   #10
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray View Post
is my memory correct that this is a pricey item?
Depends on what you call pricey. I checked my receipts the Class V I purchased was about $850 delivered. (gone up a bit since then) However it is much less expensive than reworking the front end on my AS, as well as saving general wear and tear on the driver, tow vehicle and trailer. Last time I checked most of the big rigs on the road use an Air Ride suspension

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 08-25-2008, 04:26 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Inland Andy, the AirSafe hitch with the Firestone airbags is more than your dismissive "gadget" description. This hitch is NOT designed to change the heigth of the ball. My, my, you do have a way with using strong words against things that you have no experience with or don't sell.

Since you have brought it up, yes, my Class V AirSafe hitch does provide for both weight transfer and for sway control. I use my standard weight-transfer bars and friction-type sway control bars, just as I have always used with a conventional type of hitch. Since the AirSafe hitch can use standard weight-transfer bars, I see no reason why the other types of sway control systems based on the cam-type or such other devices could not be used.

Ironically, I think if you would take the time to actually look at the air hitch, you would find it is the answer to the problems you always rant about concerning the punishment wrought by using heavy suspension systems on the sensitive and somewhat delicate Airstream construction design. The AirRide hitch removes all of the shock created by heavy pickup truck suspensions and treats the Airstream as it used to be treated with the old sedans. I know this to be true, because my first Airstream tow vehicle was a big old 1976 Ford Custom 500 sedan with the soft boulevard ride. When I later got a heavily sprung pickup truck, that's when my Airstream started popping rivets and cracking. With the AirSafe hitch, all that popping and cracking has gone away. The air-cushioned effect brought back the soft rides of yesteryear that you often long for.

Some gadget, indeed.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 04:45 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I did not mention that I use the Reese dual cam with my Air Safe hitch. They work great together.
Phil Gobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:12 AM   #13
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc View Post
Depends on what you call pricey. I checked my receipts the Class V I purchased was about $850 delivered. (gone up a bit since then) However it is much less expensive than reworking the front end on my AS, as well as saving general wear and tear on the driver, tow vehicle and trailer. Last time I checked most of the big rigs on the road use an Air Ride suspension

Aaron
I wasn't saying that the hitch is over priced or doesn't work, I was simply commenting on my memory that the hitch was an expensive item. After this summers trip, I will be taking a close look at air hitches again and may well be buying. Having said that, it isn't as easy for me as I would like to come up with a thousand dollars for every problem that comes down the pike, epically since I want to remove the ugly box extension the PO installed and put a new gray tank in. It all adds up and can be hard on the little guy.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:58 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2008 28' International
Palm Springs , California
Air Safe Hitch and need for Sway Control

Im almost convinced to get a Air Safe. I just bought a new Intl 28 and tow it with an '08 F350 dually. I also have an Equalizer Hitch. Now Im worried about being over rigged and over hitched and shaking my new A/S apart. If I get an Air Safe will still need to use my Equalizer hitch or can I just use the Air Safe with a regular ball? Thanks in advance for advice for this newbie!!
Rugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:21 AM   #15
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
I had a rep from their company come by my shop and demonstrate the unit. Actually they just showed up unannounced so I was skeptical and started a thread here to hear the buzz from users and potential users. All concerns about sway and weight distribution are accounted for and the system should do very well for Airstreams.
I also remember the question about using it with the Hensley and I don't think that is possible
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:57 AM   #16
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I was, and still am concerned about the air bag blowing out. If that were to happen, the hitch setup would be fairly useless. Anyone know how long the air bags are suppose to last? Would it be possible or a good idea to have a spare air bag on hand? Ever since reading the thread about front end separation, I've been concerned and have been seriously looking at something like this....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:06 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
If you've seen those bags...my god they must be a 1/4 inch thick. Actually the last of my concern but I understand your point. I have the same bags on my suspension with a Lance truck camper supporting 4000 Lbs bouncing down the road. Actually I guess that would be 2000 per side. No issues though.
If one blew or was defective, I think any tire dealer that installs airbags could probably replace the bag. Might want to check with Air Ride on that though.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:16 AM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thanks Randy.

One other question I had for folks that have these or are in the know. I see a class 5 that seems to be what I would be looking at, but then I saw the class 6 with a shock on it to limit what I think is the bounce. Any thoughts on the shock version vs the non-shock version?
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:37 AM   #19
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
I have one (Class V) w/ sway bars. Works great. Wife had stomach surgery and was extremely sensitive to the bounce from the standard hitch. Got this and there was a difference. Also, puts less ware and tear on the trailer as advertised.

Saw Terry Gains and the CA Streamers Rally last week and he also has one and is very pleased.

Just saying......

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 03:50 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
vledder , drenthe
I really like the idea behind this hitch.
But I think that there is room for improvement on this idea.
I have ordered a Firestone airbag, and am working on some drawings now.

Remco
remcolent is offline   Reply With Quote