Old 12-18-2008, 05:43 PM   #43
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
I got my Air Safe hitch this week and installed it. We are in a park until the first of the year but I just had to get it out and try it out. So we tore down and took a little trip on some of the roughest roads we could find here in Florida within a short distance from the park. It works great, no hard bounces or jerks, I wanted to take it on a concrete road so I could see what it is like on expansion joints but I feel sure it will work great. I took some pictures of the setup with the weight bars hooked up as there seems to be a lot of questions about this. Silvertwinkie, I haven't tried the class 6 but I did talk to a guy that uses them on his trailers, he has some consession trailers and said he used them because his trailers are heavy and he doesn't use weight distrubution bars but does use friction sway bars. I don't see why you would need one for a Airstream. Our trailer tongue weight is 800 lbs. and I had 50 lbs. in the air bag. I think the max is 100 lbs.
Attached Images

WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 07:13 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Happy, thanks for the photos. Now I have some idea what people are arguing about. It's probably the perspective, but the tongue doesn't look level.

After reading the opinions, facts and factoids, all strongly held, all sincerely believed, I have no idea who's right. I think the discussion went from air bags to air hitches. It got so esoteric at times, it was way beyond me.

For what it's worth, a long time ago, we bought a truck camper and the manufacturer installed air bags. One blew out in a few days. I discovered it was installed incorrectly. They expressed me new ones and I installed both properly. I eventually returned the camper since it was poorly made and the air bags too. What does this prove? Probably check what people do. There are now air springs made by Timbrem which appear to be more less solid rubber and take some weight off the springs. Interesting. I don't know how good they are, whether they smooth the ride and whether they add to payload, take stresses off the suspension, or otherwise affect the truck's performance positively or negatively.

I'm trying to learn from all this, but I'm not learning from this discussion.

Gene

Old 12-18-2008, 07:47 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Hi Gene, The trailer is level, the pictures were taken after I came back to the park and the front of the truck is a little lower than the back. I wish you were closer and you could try this one out. The nearest we will be to CO is when we go the the Vintage Rally in San Antonio TX in Feb. As I find out more about the hitch I will let you know.

Marvin
WBCCI 10103
Old 12-18-2008, 07:53 PM   #46
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
The obvious concern I see with this hitch is the additional distance the ball is from the back bumper. This really increases the wheel base to overhang ratio which is a big negative.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:29 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Road Ruler, The Air Safe hitch moves the ball back another 9 inches, the trailer tongue weight of my trailer is 800 lbs. I don't know how much that converts to but it doesn't seem like it would be that much.

Marvin
WBCCI 10103
Old 12-18-2008, 09:42 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Air Safe vs MOR/ryde

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 Overlander View Post
I also remember the question about using it with the Hensley and I don't think that is possible
How would the Air Safe Hitch compare with using a MOR/ryde Suspension Kit to lessen the impact of a stiff ride on an Airstream?
The MOR/ryde is more expensive at $1271 installed, but would allow use of a Hensley, and would soften the truck's ride even when not towing.

1946 Spartan Manor
1954 Va-Ka-Shun-Ette
1964 Overlander
1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper
1974 Sovereign
2005 F-350 SRW 4x4 crew cab long box
TAC ON-5
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:39 AM   #49
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Just installed an Air Safe hitch

I put it the hitch on last weekend just before leaving for the Region 9 Rally. I have about 250 miles on towing on it now and, so far, I am very pleased with the investment.

I towed through a lot of construction and it was nice not feeling the impact of the trailer over the rough stuff.

The hitch moves the trailer back nearly a foot. Since I have some tight turning at the storage yard and at the cul-de-sac where I live, the tighter turning radius is very welcome.

There was not enough room between the hitch box and the receiver to put the bracket for my mud flaps. Fortunately, there were holes in the side of the hitch box at a perfect location to mount the arms that support the flaps.

I set the ball height at home by airing up the bag until the bars were level. Then, at the storage yard, I hooked up and aired up the bag to get the bars level under load.

It does require jacking the trailer quite high to get the WD bar chains attached because the hitch raises to the top as soon as the weight comes off the ball. I'm thinking of using a wedge of some sort to prevent the hitch from raising during hitching so that I don't have to jack the trailer so high. The wedge would go between the top of the box and the limit bar above it.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:41 AM   #50
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
The obvious concern I see with this hitch is the additional distance the ball is from the back bumper. This really increases the wheel base to overhang ratio which is a big negative.
I can't tell the difference. My bar setting did not require a change. There was no effect when towing except that I could turn a bit tighter.
WBCCI #9632
Old 04-13-2009, 05:30 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
That sounds like a good idea John to put a block of wood in to stop the hitch ball from coming up, it dose cause a lot of extra work for the jack but I have noticed that mine doesn't set after I put the bars on until I start moving the trailer and hit a little bump. I have towed 5,250 miles and I really like the hitch.

Marvin
WBCCI 10103
Old 04-13-2009, 06:06 PM   #52
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thanks for the info and for reviving this thread.

Anyone know about how well weight distribution works with these? I was talking with someone on this forum off line and the question came up how can weight distribution work if the hitch is not static? It was a question I had not considered, but after thinking about it, really was a great question.

Any thoughts on this? Anyone that has this setup, have you weighed the trailer and found that the unit still does transfer weight? I do see some significant flex on the bars, but is it transferring any weight to the front of the tow vehicle or is it pushing it back to the trailer axles?

I asked the company (High End Markets--the rep for the hitch) that sells these and this is what I got. I have not heard an engineering answer as of yet:

The hitch has been tested with weight distribution systems and the system has allowed the weight distribution system to function had designed. We have many system sold that use the weight distribution system. I will see if I can get a better engineering answers and forward to you.

So that is what I have so far...any additional comment or input on this question would be appreciated.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:23 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

Livingston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
---Anyone know about how well weight distribution works with these? I was talking with someone on this forum off line and the question came up how can weight distribution work if the hitch is not static? ---
A weight distribution hitch accomplishes load transfer by applying a pitch-axis torque to the hitch receiver. The amount of torque is equal to the vertical load applied to the rear ends of the WD bars multiplied by their effective length.

The Air Safe Hitch has an upper and lower horizontal link on each side. These links transfer longitudinal forces between the front and rear portions of the hitch. The air bag transfers vertical forces.

When the WD bars apply a pitch-axis torque to the rear portion of the hitch, the upper link pushes forward on the top of the front portion and the lower link pulls rearward on the bottom of the front portion. The magnitude of these "push-pull" forces multiplied by the distance between the links results in a torque being applied to the front portion of the hitch and the rear of the tow vehicle.

Ron
Old 04-17-2009, 01:19 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Silvertwinkie, I tried to throw the trailer in to a sway after I installed my hitch and the Reese Dual Cam brought it back straight again. I am making some changes to my trailer which will change the tongue weight a bit and will be readjusting the hitch in a few weeks and I will let you know and maybe I can take some pics too.

Marvin
WBCCI 10103
Old 04-17-2009, 01:45 PM   #55
Rivet Master

Hays County , Texas
I have found no detectable difference in the weight distribution and the action of the bars. Except when undergoing vertical acceleration when going over a bump, the ball mount may as well be welded in place. I have not had to change a thing in the hookup.
WBCCI #9632
Old 04-17-2009, 04:05 PM   #56
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
That is great to hear. I really would love to have a soft ride for my Airstream, and of course less transmission of the shock to and from the connection. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, but I may bite the bullet and go for this now that the folks in the know have spoken to my last main concern about this.

Got my Centramatics yesterday.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote