Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2011, 07:40 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Down the Shore , New Jersey
Adjusted the ball and hitch today

Getting ready for our first trip with the Silverado 2500 Duramax/Allison TV. Original hitch and ball height was set up by the AS dealer for our F-150 so after reading as many posts on the subject as I could, my son and I spent some time today adjusting the ball and hitch for the Chevy. I think I have it about as good as I can get it with the amount of experience I have. Am using the Reese WD and dual cam set up and the 800 lb trunnion bars. Without being able to get to scales yet, I think it is looking pretty good. I'm using 6 links on the chains as 5 jacked the rear up without too much difference to the front. I am thinking that is because of the big diesel sitiing up on the front axles of the truck. 6 links kept everything about the same with out too much stress on the bars.

Will try and post pictures in here; maybe some of you can give it an eyeball and let me know what you think. Trailer is a 23' Flying Cloud with lounge. Specs say max 6000# and a 750# tongue weight. For reference, there is about 7" inches clearance from the bottom of the hitch shank to the ground. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-26-2011, 07:43 PM   #2
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Sounds good... but you know we love pictures.

Hit the scales to be sure.

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:43 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
I don't think the pictures made it, will re-size and try again.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:13 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
OK, lets try for some pictures again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	524.6 KB
ID:	125424   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	434.4 KB
ID:	125425  

Old 03-26-2011, 08:22 PM   #5
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
The only problem I see is that the bars may make contact with driveways and such. You might consider the angle of the hitch and tip it a bit more. This will allow the bars to be a bit more horizontal when under load and a bit more ground clearance when out on the road. There are several threads here to better describe this. The overall setup looks level and a nice overall outfit.

Vinnie

Old 03-26-2011, 08:38 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
I will re-check the distance from the ends of the spring bars to the ground before hooking up the trailer and perhaps tilt the ball head a notch (forward, toward the tailgate I assume you mean). Thanks, I appreciate the help.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Dog View Post
I will re-check the distance from the ends of the spring bars to the ground before hooking up the trailer and perhaps tilt the ball head a notch (forward, toward the tailgate I assume you mean). Thanks, I appreciate the help.
A perfect setup with Reese bars and their sway control, is to have 5 links "under stress".

Your bars are too close to the ground.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 08:47 PM   #8
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Heres a picture of mine. Its a bit different because Im using an airsafe hitch and have round bars vs trunnian style. Even with my bars like this I still make contact once in a while.

Vinnie
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2011, 09:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Lucky Dog. Other than what has already been said, I have two things to add. If you are actually towing like this [or maybe just testing] I would install a lock or pin in the coupler latch. And when you are happy with your adjustments, I would cut off the excess on the bottom of your shank. I cut one hole off of mine.
Attached Images

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:45 PM   #10
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Thats a good point Bob. When you slam down on that you know it! and too often the chains find their way under it and grind away on the street.

Old 03-27-2011, 06:34 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Thanks for the replies. Yes, I do usually have a lock in the coupler and thought about cutting the last inch or so off of the shank. It bottomed as I was putting the AS back up into the driveway when we were done for the day. I will remeasure, adjust and get back to 5 links on the set up as Andy suggested. Vinnie, I can see how your bars are more parallel to the ground. Thanks again for the help. I appreciate it.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:59 AM   #12
hang up and drive

2010 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
A perfect setup with Reese bars and their sway control, is to have 5 links "under stress".

Your bars are too close to the ground.

Andy
Andy, since I am usually on the slow bus when it comes to visualizing what people write, I assume you mean that the fifth link from the cam/saddle should be hooked, correct? TIA.
kry226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:27 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kry226 View Post
Andy, since I am usually on the slow bus when it comes to visualizing what people write, I assume you mean that the fifth link from the cam/saddle should be hooked, correct? TIA.
Correct.

How many chain links are under stress is important.

How many links hang loose, means nothing, since sometimes there are more links to the complete chain on one side than the other side.

Therefore counting the number of links under stress is very important as well as directing a person attention to any twist that might be accidentially put in the chain, which decreases it's length, which would place a different load on the torsion bars from one side to the other.

Andy 10.3
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:37 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
One other comment: I'd re-route your breakaway switch cable ... it looks to me as if the breakaway chains are going to rub on / interfere with that cable. You don't want the cable to get tangled in the chains and then accidentally have the cable pulled. It also appears to be hooked right to the hitch receiver ... and if the hitch should fail completely and fall off, is there a chance that it would go sliding down the road with the trailer for a while, resulting in a non-activation of the trailer brakes? I don't know the answer, but I always attach mine (using a carabiner) to something other than the hitch receiver itself.

Perhaps others with more experience can comment on whether I'm just paranoid ... well, even if I am ...
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:57 AM   #15
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirsDream View Post

Perhaps others with more experience can comment on whether I'm just paranoid ... well, even if I am ...
you're right. That is considered a "best practice". I replaced one of my license plate bolts with a stainless-steel eye hook, and attach to that.

I'll also add that the break-away cable should be longer than the umbilical, so it is the last thing to disconnect from the tow vehicle.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:03 AM   #16
hang up and drive

2010 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Correct.

How many chain links are under stress is important.

How many links hang loose, means nothing, since sometimes there are more links to the complete chain on one side than the other side.

Therefore counting the number of links under stress is very important as well as directing a person attention to any twist that might be accidentially put in the chain, which decreases it's length, which would place a different load on the torsion bars from one side to the other.

Andy 10.3
Great. Thanks!

2023 Ford F350 Lariat 7.3/4.30 FX4 CCLB
2010 Classic Limited 30
ProPride P3-1400
kry226 is offline   Reply With Quote