Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2010, 11:22 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockville Centre , New York
Adding a hitch to the rear of my Airstream

can i put hitch on 28 ft intl 2005 , to carry my 70 lb gen ? the hitch goes under the chassis across the frame.
Josie28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:35 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2002 27' Safari
College Station , Texas
Also, as a practical matter, with two trailers behind you how could you ever back up?

Mike

"The written word will soon disappear, and we'll no longer be able to read good prose like we used to could." - James Thurber
mddsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mddsmith View Post
Also, as a practical matter, with two trailers behind you how could you ever back up?

Mike
As a practical matter, you can't.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie28 View Post
can i put hitch on 28 ft intl 2005 , to carry my 70 lb gen ? the hitch goes under the chassis across the frame.
Yes you can, but will you cause frame seperation???????
Old 09-01-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Why not get a MoHo?

Better safe than sorry. Plus in a MoHo, you could have the dogs in their trailer or in the MoHo with you! Yeah, all six of them! Better yet, see if any of them shows talent as a driver!!

Yikes...!
Old 09-01-2010, 12:18 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Rockville Centre , New York
I am not planning to add a trailer...just a 20" x 54" cargo carrier to the back of my 28' intl using a universal hitch. Will this still cause frame separation?
Josie28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josie28 View Post
I am not planning to add a trailer...just a 20" x 54" cargo carrier to the back of my 28' intl using a universal hitch. Will this still cause frame separation?
Good question. It's the weight that could cause it, not the towing so much.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:40 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
3 way towing is illegal in NJ and just seems dangerous overall...
however, i was thinking it would be cool to tow with a sprinter or the like to have a bird room in the back for our 4 parrots... lol. or an entirely separate trailer would work i suppose.

Currently all 4 ride shotgun with us. they're used to it and well behaved - you should see the looks we get though...

phoenix rides on poppas shoulder, with the remainder spread equal distances across the bench seat back. they all have their preferred spots. they go nuts when a big truck passes, and eyes go wide when we go through tunnels...

they're NOT headless, they're NAPPING!
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:39 PM   #9
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Man, I like my pets. Or hunting dogs. And South Texas is waaay too hot for a dog trailer w/o A/C, IMO. Plus, as I couldn't see them behind the trailer I'd be worried. Never know if something was going wrong back there.

Get a bedrug and a bed topper and let'em ride back there (with decent restraints).
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 05:02 PM   #10
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
The frame of an Airstream trailer is not the only weight bearing piece. The body or shell of the trailer is there for structural support as well.

Adding weight of less than 100 #'s to the rear of a 28' trailer may be OK. And again may not. The year of the trailer and if it has a rear bath or not may have some impact. I would venture to say if you had a supply or waste tank back there, the weight of it filled would be over 100#'s. So if you had that arrangement and ALWAYS traveled empty likely you could get away with the extra 100#s. Atachment may be an issue however you didn't ask that q.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 09-03-2010, 08:31 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
The generator and maybe bicycle or scooter issue is one reason I see a crew cab pickup would be a useful tow vehicle. I have a Yukon XL 4WD as well as my 1500 Silverado 4WD. The Yukon will work okay except for the generator and the gas smell. I've read some about LP generators that use the coach LP tanks. I kind of like that idea.

I don't plan to tow a travel trailer much, but when I go I'd like to be well equipped and comfortable. The generator fits both of those categories. My other two trailers are work trailers and I'm mostly alone when I tow them so I use the pickup.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:20 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
It is my impression frame separation is more of a 70s issue. I'm not saying this would work but if the load of a rear hitch were transferred to the frame nearer to the axles rather than the rear end it seems to me there would be less risk
Old 09-04-2010, 05:41 AM   #13

1994 28' Excella
1973 23' Safari
lubbock , Texas
the shorter the trailer, the less flexing the frame wants to do. with the cargo carrier acting as a "cheater bar" torqueing the frame it would put additional stress on the frame to shell connection , its not a matter of it causing a problem, but when it will. eventually the bouncing road miles will get it --thats my opinion, hope it helps
brady806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:41 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
There have been many discussions of this subject ver the past and the most common recommendation - and one I decided to follow - is not to hang anything off the back of the trailer.

I bought my Classic 30 used and it came with a very solidly mounted 2" receiver at the rear. I suspect the previous owner was towing some sort of trailer behind the AS because there was not only the hitch but a four wire flat connector.

My initial thought was to carry our mountain bikes back there instead of on the front of the truck as I normally do.

After research on this forum, I decided not to tempt fate and in the end, I cut off the 2" receiver.

I have my fingers crossed that the previous owner has not caused damage - I haven't seen any evidence of problems yet.

It may have been fine, but since by far the majority of folks advised against it, I decided to play safe. I actually don't mind having the bikes up front of the truck, at least I can keep an eye on them!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote