Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-26-2019, 03:50 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Holly Springs , Mississippi
Sounds like the secret is to be sure the ball is in the forward part of the hitch -- just like about all the others. Seems easy, but I get snookered by this every once in a while.

2016 FC 25' FB twin
2013 F-150 Lariat CrewCab 3.5 EB 4X4 3.55 axle
Bob662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 12:46 PM   #22

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belbein View Post
What Demco told me--and what he said a few times above, although he didn't underline it and put asterisks and exclamation points--was that the ball retainer only releases when there's weight on it. So when he said (I can't quote it exactly) that releasing the handle is the first thing you do, that's the first thing you do when you're parking, after taking off the sway control and weight distribution hitches and before removing the weight from the ball using the jack. That's really, really different.
Actually it's not different at all from my process. I unlatch my Atwood coupler with weight on the ball. After removing the WD bars I lower the jack back down to where the shaft of the hitch head is resting on the bottom lip of the receiver and the truck squats just a tiny bit, unlatch the coupler, lift the trailer off the ball with the jack.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 12:33 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
INDIAN HARBOUR BEACH , Florida
THX for the link. I am glad I have a old style hitch (but I have never extended the jack to see if it will force a release!).
PC Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 05:19 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
FWIW, there have been times with a “standard” coupler latch when the lever has been stuck and couldn’t be lifted without jockeying the trailer or TV so in that sense there is no difference. My very limited experience with the Demco hitch has been positive but time will tell.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 10:41 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2020 20' Caravel
Dallas , tx
Is there a recommended pin lock for security while towing with this new 2020 Demco? Would like to lock the ball of the truck to the trailer if I have to run in a store for a few hours.

How long of a pin is needed? What is the diameter of the pin hole (what size shaft fits in that hole and how long does the shaft need to be?)
Jason in TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 03:29 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Boyden , Iowa
There are several good options from companies like Trimax, master lock and Reese.

Pin needs to be 1/4" diameter by 3" long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason in TX View Post
Is there a recommended pin lock for security while towing with this new 2020 Demco? Would like to lock the ball of the truck to the trailer if I have to run in a store for a few hours.

How long of a pin is needed? What is the diameter of the pin hole (what size shaft fits in that hole and how long does the shaft need to be?)
Demco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 03:06 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Snellville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demco View Post
Good morning afternoon everybody

I am the product manager for Demco Trailer Components division, located in Boyden IA. I though i would come here and field any questions or concerns that may arise from the new airsteam coupler choice.

A little back story on Demco, we are a family owned and operated business based out of Boyden IA. We have been in business for over 50 years and we have a pretty diverse line of products that we offer ranging from Agriculture, RV, Rental, Semi Trailers and of course Trailer products. We have been in the coupler business for just over 20 years now. I invite you all to check out our website at demco-products.com

As Far as the coupler goes on the 2020 Trailers,

The Coupler is an EZ- Latch coupler produced right here in Boyden IA. The design allows for the coupler to auto latch as you drop it over the Hitch Ball. This makes for an easy and quick hookup. The design by nature is a safer the the traditional coupler. The EZ-Latch is a spring biased closed system where as the traditional is not and requires secondary measure to keep it closed.

What this means as far as everyday use -
Just drop the coupler over the Hitch ball and your good to go,you do not need to remember to put a pin in it. If the ball is in the socket and the Composite handle is down you are ready to tow. When the coupler is latched and on a ball, it acts for lack of a better term, like a Chinese finger trap. The harder the ball is pulled out the tighter the clamp is held in place.The coupler is tested to SAE standards without a pin in place. We do provide a hole in the side of the coupler that is meant for anti-theft purposes while towing.

Few more points of information that may answer some questions floating around out there.

The plastic handle- The Black Composite handle is much more than just plastic. It is a impact modified Nylon 6/6 that comes with a Lifetime Warranty. Hit me up on this if you have issues I will take care of you if you do happen to break it as nothing is indestructible We have a youtube video that offers some more info but i do not believe i can post any links yet without approval look it up at our Demco products channel

Hooking and unhooking - Hooking is pretty well covered above, Back under the coupler drop it down and that is it. While the coupler is going over the Hitch ball, you can watch as it is lowered. The Handle will rise up and when the ball is in going into the socket it will fall back in place when the ball is seated in the coupler. This is when you know everything is as it should be. If you happen to back to far under and the handle doesn't fall back down completely. Give the truck or trailer a little push or just pull the truck forward and that should do the trick as the handle will fall into place. Un-hooking is just as easy. First thing you want to do the is pull the lever to the up position and go about jacking the trailer up. Important note- since our coupler is the opposite as most, jacking the trailer part way prior to flipping the handle up can lock the coupler in the closed position.
Sometimes if you have a situation where the truck is pushing against the trailer or Vice-versa, the coupler will not want to open. In this case you need to block the wheels on the trailer and pull the the vehicle forward to relieve the pressure and it should open.

Maintenance, Lube and Adjustments-
Our coupler requires no lube, no maintenance and no adjustments. A periodic visual inspection is all that us need. You can lube the ball socket if you wish to but it is not required.

Lastly- The form is pretty large and I'm sure i will not catch all the Demco related posts. So feel free to send people my direction if they have any questions or concerns
We recently purchased a 2020 Airstream Classic 30 RBT Travel Trailer. We just came back from our first trip and following your instructions had no issues with our Demco coupler. However, today our Airstream dealer tested our coupler (while in for other issues) and found that it failed inspection and is therefore under a recall. How soon do you believe Demco will have a fix for the recall? We have a lengthy trip to Florida with all reservations made and paid for in less than eight weeks. In addition, we pay $300 per month to NIRVC for inside, climate controlled storage to protect our Airstream. We also understand that Airstream Dealers can't sell any Airstreams where the Demco Coupler has failed inspection. Our Airstream Dealer is Southland RV in the Atlanta area. Thank You. Tom Schuck E-Mail: moonriver4@comcast.net
moonriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 06:28 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Boyden , Iowa
PM sent
Demco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 01:05 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
What recall?
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 07:39 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
DALLAS , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
What recall?
That's what I want to know.
Phantom98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 10:38 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Snellville , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom98 View Post
That's what I want to know.
The dealers just in the past week were given a device to check for too much play in the hitch coupler. Demco should have a fix in the next few weeks but for now those that are at dealers and fail can't be sold.
Old 11-03-2019, 05:06 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
DEMCO:
I took delivery of a new Airstream on 10/21. How can I check that the coupler is OK? I pulled the trailer almost 1000 miles since and have not noticed anything odd.
Thanks,
Jim
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:04 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
New Hyde Park , New York
We bought a 2020 23GT on Aug 1. All went well. After 3000 miles, I started hearing a loud “bump” or “thud” sound coming from the hitch area when either accelerating or braking. Also, the ball popped out of the Demco coupling when trying to install the Eq bars.

Our dealer (Colonial) received a letter from Airstream advising them about this problem. Airstream also sent some kind of device to measure all their 2020s to see if there is too much play in the coupler. Not sure what the solution is.

Currently waiting for a service date, I hope.

2021 Ram 1500 Laramie - 5.7L Hemi eTORQUE

Airstream Club International #2600

I’d rather be camping is an understatement!
eagletoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:49 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
So if there is a recall shouldn’t we be notified about it? Or should we all just wait till it fails?
Old 11-03-2019, 07:50 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Snellville , Georgia
Below is PM message to and from Demco Products Manager:

Re: Demco Coupler Recall
We recently purchased a 2020 Airstream Classic 30 RBT Travel Trailer. We just came back from our first trip and following your instructions had no issues with our Demco coupler. However, today our Airstream dealer tested our coupler (while in for other issues) and found that it failed inspection and is therefore under a recall. How soon do you believe Demco will have a fix for the recall? We have a lengthy trip to Florida with all reservations made and paid for in less than eight weeks. In addition, we pay $300 per month to NIRVC for inside, climate controlled storage to protect our Airstream. We also understand that Airstream Dealers can't sell any Airstreams where the Demco Coupler has failed inspection. Our Airstream Dealer is Southland RV in the Atlanta area. Thank You. Tom Schuck E-Mail: moonriver4@comcast.net

Tom,

Demco will be providing airstream parts for infield repairs very soon(days not weeks ) . 8 weeks should not be an issue. Did your dealer indicate by how much it failed the inspection ?

Re: Demco Coupler Recall

They said that while it did fail, it did not fail by much.
Thank you for such a quick response!!
If it didn't fail by much than it should be a quick 10 minute fix once parts arrive at the dealership
Old 11-03-2019, 07:50 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
DEMCO:
I took delivery of a new Airstream on 10/21. How can I check that the coupler is OK? I pulled the trailer almost 1000 miles since and have not noticed anything odd.
Thanks,
Jim
Me too!
Old 11-03-2019, 07:57 AM   #37
1 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Snellville , Georgia
I believe it would be best to contact your dealer as they have just in the past week received a device to measure the play in the hitch coupler. Our dealer, Southland RV in Atlanta, tested all new units on their lot with the Demco Coupler, approximately 25 units, and found 4 units that failed. Our 2020 Classic 30 RBT, which we received in July, was also tested and failed.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:10 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonriver View Post
I believe it would be best to contact your dealer as they have just in the past week received a device to measure the play in the hitch coupler. Our dealer, Southland RV in Atlanta, tested all new units on their lot with the Demco Coupler, approximately 25 units, and found 4 units that failed. Our 2020 Classic 30 RBT, which we received in July, was also tested and failed.
So what was the fix?
Old 11-03-2019, 08:16 AM   #39
1 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Snellville , Georgia
Demco Coupler Recall

I do not know what the fix is other than "the parts" for the fix will be to dealers "in days, not weeks".
Old 11-03-2019, 08:19 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Thanks. I have a service date this week so I’ll insist they check it.