Old 12-14-2005, 03:42 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
Thumbs up A/S hitch connection

About two years ago I developed a problem of the hitch pawl not staying down when I lowered the trailer into position for towing. On advice, I took the pawl and spring out and thoroughly cleaned the interior of the hitch where it mounts on the ball. That did nothing to solve the problem and on further advice, I replaced the pawl and spring with new parts. This helped somewhat, in that the pawl now only stays up about half way from where it should be when ready to trail. I took this to my local Airstream service center here in Dallas and they said that they had another 25' with the same problem and they have not been able to find the cause.
I was never able to find anyone that had the answer to this problem, EXCEPT NOW!

For your future information on this subject, please review the following:

In the pursuit of an answer to this problem I finally came across the solution, which is that the ball the dealer had installed on a new hitch I was using was different than the original one in that the neck (distance between the bottom of the ball and the lower flange was only about 1/4". When I installed a new ball with a neck of about 3/4" the problem disappeared completely. Obviously there are different styles of balls in use for different applications and I had received the wrong one for my hitch.
I hope this will help someone else if the problem ever comes up again.

AirBud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 12:44 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member
2005 25' Safari
Roseville , California
Thanks for the word...I haven't had that problem (usually, anyway) with my Safari. When it has happened, the answer in my case (in addition to making sure the ball is greased) is to move my tow vehicle a quarter-inch forward (sometimes backward) and things work out. But a quarter-inch is tricky...
cammur is offline   Reply With Quote