Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-24-2019, 09:28 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
A Question for ProPride owners

My chains are crossed and do not seem to interfere with anything.

Jack foot is not attached to the jack. When I hitch up and tension the WD bars by raising the jack very high it works fine.

When I retract the jack I have enough space to pull the foot out and stash it in the truck. The Airstream came to me with the foot removable, so I have no clue as to wether it was ever attached.

Putting the foot away is just part of my checklist.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 11:57 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.mileur View Post
Ahoy ProPride Mate,
your picture shows some crossed chains? Might check your ProPride Manual to verify the instruction for hooking up that specifies, "Do not cross the Safety Chains."

I've found getting into tight spots is more difficult than getting out, as far as jack-knife concerns go. Also, dropping the foot off, BEFORE backing in sometimes will preclude having to pull out again to move the bars enough to drop the foot. It's easy enough to install the foot below the bar. I've never been at an angle that blocked the jack post, but routinely, blocks the foot flange, if installed.
Nothing in my manual says anything about crossing or not crossing chains. But the chains are not the problem. Hitting the end of travel on the hitch was the problem. I can't hit the end pulling forward in a tight turn, but backing on a turn makes it pretty easy to do that. I typically don't try to get into tight spots and am willing to park as far away from my destination as possible. Sadly, not everyone has awareness of the issues and several times, I've parked by myself only to return and find a car (or multiple cars) parked right next to me with many, many open spaces around. I don't know if they feel safer parking close to someone or if they are just being idiots, but it's occasionally a problem. Nowadays, I try to park where they can only park on one side of me and I center both the front and the back on parking spaces so that they can't get to close without being obvious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
Nothing in the current ProPride manual mentioning the crossing of chains. Page 24

Step 9: IMPORTANT – IMPORTANT – IMPORTANT – Route your tow chains UNDER the Main Hitch Unit and BETWEEN where the Spring Bars insert in the bottom of the Main Hitch Unit. When you are straight in line with your trailer the chains are the longest they ever need to be. When routed properly they should hang about 1” from the bottom of the Main Hitch Unit. *See Page 25 for photo.
I only have 23 pages in my manual. I have no problems with my chains at all.
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 10:14 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Jamul , California
2015 Tundra, Jayco 27' using the ProPride for the past 4 years over 10K miles and never have had a problem. Tight turns, backing up, inclines, declines and odd angles it does make noise but I've never had to readjust the hitch. Love the ProPride
rgchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 10:58 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Litchfield Park , Arizona
After having our ProPride installed at Jackson Center, I had to readjust the frame bracket three times as we headed west. Don't recall hearing any pops. Finally figured out in Spearfish SD that my chains were too short, were binding the hitch head on turns, and were twisting the hitch head to one side. This caused awful towing problems and backing up after towing was crazy. I think the AS guys at JC who did the installation cut out some links (the chains were almost dragging at first) and cut out a few too many.

So we replaced the chain extensions and working with Brent got the chains the right length. After that no problem. I checked the torque on the frame bracket bolts each time before starting out until they no longer needed adjusting. I have all the nuts torqued to 60 lbs. My book says 55, but have been using 60 at Brent's suggestion. So far the frame bracket has not shifted but I visually inspect it at every opportunity.

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 11:53 AM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I bought my Airstream from a previous owner that already had a Propride installed. I have never adjusted anything yet but want to know where the measurement is taken from with a tape measure to evenly position the u bolt bracket all of you are talking about. Thanks for any info.
coolbikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 12:28 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephraim View Post
My friend spoke with Brent at ProPride and this was Brent's solution. apparently, this is not a safety release and should not be happening.
Not clear on ‘solution’. Am I to infer that the making mark with white sharpie is the solution? Thanks
sarchib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 12:29 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Belen , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbikeman View Post
I bought my Airstream from a previous owner that already had a Propride installed. I have never adjusted anything yet but want to know where the measurement is taken from with a tape measure to evenly position the u bolt bracket all of you are talking about. Thanks for any info.
Starting on page 11 of the manual 20" +/- 1/2" from the center of the trailer coupler measured along the frame. If you didn't get the manual when you bought it, you need to print it out and keep it with your trailer manuals.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ProPride 3P Hitch Installation and Operation.pdf (713.5 KB, 31 views)
Ephraim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 12:58 PM   #28
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
There is an updated ProPride manual available that has additional photos, measurements and torque information.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 05:04 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Thank you
coolbikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 09:09 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

Paradise , Texas
What's funny, is that I had a discussion with Shawn on Facebook a while ago. After I pointed out the time mount could move, He was adamant nothing could ever move it come loose or shift. Yet, there are many more who have experienced this.

You won't have this problem with a Hensley... Ever.
Crackerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 09:24 PM   #31
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Hensley has it's own share of issues. Been there...

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote