Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-03-2007, 03:41 PM   #61
1 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
2009 30' Classic
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Sussex , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hensley Ron
It's good to see another company taking trailer sway seriously. For 14 years, Hensley has been the only company blowing that horn. Our biggest complaint has always been the lack of "real" competition. If you're the only one making a product, people wonder if it's really a necessary item.

Best of luck to Sean. Hensley will continue to fight the good fight and develop (with your input) products to make our chosen lifestyle safer and more enjoyable.
Ron, as a new HAHA owner of less than 5 months who has rust problems specifically on the right and left adjustment tubes as well as the adjustment bolt at the top of the tube, what is HA doing to fix this problem or make it right for existing customers? It appears as if the competition has at least thought about addressing this by using an improved (POR-15 or similar) coating. Quite honestly, for a $3,000 piece of equipment to rust as quickly as this has doesn't appear to bode well for HA's overall longevity.
Airstream 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 05:44 PM   #62
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
the aDjUsTaBLe stinger...
any better shots of this?
Attached below is all I have at this point.

Quote:
it seems that MASSIVE forces are transmitted and handles in the stinger/drop bar, and in everywhichwaydirection.
Yes, there are. No more than any other adustable hitch bar though. We've loaded it to over 3,000 pounds of tongue weight and it hasn't been a problem. It is "beefer" than the conventional adjustable hitch bar.

Quote:
a quick look at the haha user guide and talks with haha users confirm, pin box wear and up grades and wear on the haha stinger hole too....
I'm not sure what I can do about the pin hole in the receiver. We have, however, reinforced the hitch box on the main head and used a different method for putting it together than the haha uses. There WILL NOT be any stretched hitch boxes on the new design. That is something that has always concerned Jim Hensley so he addressed it in this design.

Quote:
i do wish the haha had 1 inch increments for drop sizing BUT....
I understand but it has to stop somewhere...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HitchBarCompleteSideView.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	50333   Click image for larger version

Name:	HitchBarHitchend.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	50334  

Click image for larger version

Name:	HitchBarTVendSideView.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	50335   Click image for larger version

Name:	HitchBarWedgesOCLTabs2.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	50336  

Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:23 AM   #63
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Oxford , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstream 22
Ron, as a new HAHA owner of less than 5 months who has rust problems specifically on the right and left adjustment tubes as well as the adjustment bolt at the top of the tube, what is HA doing to fix this problem or make it right for existing customers? It appears as if the competition has at least thought about addressing this by using an improved (POR-15 or similar) coating. Quite honestly, for a $3,000 piece of equipment to rust as quickly as this has doesn't appear to bode well for HA's overall longevity.
Paint is one area I've been addressing lately. When the company first started, the mentality was to make it safe, first, then worry about cosmetics. Now that we've established ourselves as the safest hitch on the market, we can look at things like paint. I should have more news on this in the next few months.
Hensley Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:37 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
How nice to see both Hensley Ron and Sean on one thread. Congratulations to both of you! Competition is good, improvement is even better. Not that I think our Hensley itself needs any improvement, but Sean's pictures of his adjustable stinger show some very good thinking. I am intrigued by the elongated holes which suggest that not just the drop, but the tilt of the stinger is adjustable. That would be just to ticket to take care of my down-pointing Hensley (see my recent post in 2air's Ultimate HaHa Guide). So Ron, will Hensley come up with something like this or, alternately, Sean, will your new adjustable stinger fit my Hensley?
Tim A. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 11:47 AM   #65
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A.
I am intrigued by the elongated holes which suggest that not just the drop, but the tilt of the stinger is adjustable. That would be just to ticket to take care of my down-pointing Hensley (see my recent post in 2air's Ultimate HaHa Guide). So Ron, will Hensley come up with something like this or, alternately, Sean, will your new adjustable stinger fit my Hensley?
That is exaclty what the elongated hole is for. It will make for better weight distribution on all the receivers out there that tilt up.

Jim Henlsey has the patent on the adjustable bar with a convergent linkage hitch so I don't think Hensley Mfg, will be making one. Unless they decide to just copy it and let him fight it out with them.

The bar for the new design will not fit the old design because we have changed the angle of the wedges to take care of the hitch bar sticking in the hitch head. Also note that the bar is shorter in length by the wedges being closer to the tow vehicle and OCL tabs. This moves the pivot point projection two inches further forward for sway control.

I will, when I get a little more time, manufacture an adjustable bar that works with the Arrow.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:28 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
Quote:
Paint is one area I've been addressing lately. When the company first started, the mentality was to make it safe, first, then worry about cosmetics. Now that we've established ourselves as the safest hitch on the market, we can look at things like paint. I should have more news on this in the next few months.
Hi Ron
So I should wait a couple of months before I buy my new HAHA? I was planning on buying it this month to get the December discount. Airstream 22 has only had his Arrow for 5 months and he has rust?
What should I do?
Thanks
Dennis
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:13 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by millvalleyca
Hi Ron
So I should wait a couple of months before I buy my new HAHA? I was planning on buying it this month to get the December discount. Airstream 22 has only had his Arrow for 5 months and he has rust?
What should I do?
Thanks
Dennis
Well, I am not Ron, but can tell you that the rust on our Hensley has been essentially cosmetic and it has been hanging out in our Bay Area weather for almost 6 years. PM me if you would like to check in person what I mean since we are not very far away from you.
Tim A. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 02:01 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I really like the idea of your adjustable hitch bar and yes you need to make one for the HA - After seeing your hitch I am sorry I just purchased a used HA last month.
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 02:53 PM   #69
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy
After seeing your hitch I am sorry I just purchased a used HA last month.
why r us sorry?

the haha you purchased was only 5-600 bucks right?

that really old vintage job on ebay? wasn't that like a 10 year old unit?

perhaps i'm confused buyers, and it's none of my business, but...

this new product is 2,000+$ more than you spent,

and a virtually new haha, factory warranted, could have been purchased in in USE by now for less...

wasn't it the 'deal' that swayed your purchase?

it might be useful if we save singing the praise, until at least AFTER the product is available.

just a thought, in hyperbola land.

cheers

2air'

and THANKS for the better pics sean, will you also have a RIGID/welded/unadjustable stinger option available?

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 03:19 PM   #70
4 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Mill Valley , California
ONE MORE POST MAKES 4,000 2Air'!
congrats on that
millvalleyca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:24 PM   #71
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Quote:
LOL! Isn't it amazing what a little competiton will do! Forgive me Ron, if I point out that Hensley Corp. has had PLENTY of time to fix the nagging problem of paint.

And when exactly was the last time the haha was redesigned to "make it safe"?

Ron, don't get me wrong, I love my Hensley and am not particularly impressed from what I've seen with the new version (yet), but lets not re-write history.

Gary
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 04:56 PM   #72
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Oxford , Michigan
It was designed and tested to begin with to make it safe. That's always been the top priority. Paint jobs don't eliminate trailer sway. And I've only been here a year. Give me time. It's been my biggest complaint about the hitch, too. I own one, too, you know! Not an Airstream, though (yet). It's a Sunnybrook 33'. Sorry. Hope I don't lose a rivet for that. Besides, I need a bunkhouse for my kids and all their junk.

By the way, I'll be at Tampa and Perry, GA, if anyone would like to stop by. If you're gonna complain about paint at least bring me some of that fine show food and cup of coffee.
Hensley Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:14 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by millvalleyca
ONE MORE POST MAKES 4,000 2Air'!
congrats on that
2air is being suspended for a month .... woops! Reading from the wrong script!!! Congrats Joe. D'ya think we shouldn't allow mod posts on the 'dark side' to be counted toward post totals??????

In 2air's honor, it's International Post Like a Pyrite Day ...... Dots Galore ....... and that's not a character in a new James Bond movie ........

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 05:53 PM   #74
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
and THANKS for the better pics sean, will you also have a RIGID/welded/unadjustable stinger option available?
You're welcome.

No, I won't have a welded hitch bar available. I think that is a step backwards in product features and fleibility offered to the owners. I am manufacturing for improvements in the hitch, not copying the old design. Improvements are the only way to add any value to the market. I don't subscribe to the thinking that "it is already as good as it needs to be." If I did think that way I would have just copied the Arrow and sold a knock off.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:28 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
So 2air -- are you going to make the switch?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 12-12-2007, 09:21 PM   #76
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
... the switch?
ya mean hitches?

or forums?

no plans 4 either.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:29 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Works for me.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 12-13-2007, 04:09 PM   #78
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
HAHA Sway

I have an air suspension setup on my VW Touareg.
If I were to get one of these would I be able to just control the sway only.
Using the W/D part of it would conflict with the airsuspension.I could tighten it though but very lightly only.
My setup is perfect for what I have but what I have noticed is that over time the friction of the equalizer hitch tweeks a few parts and makes me wonder when I could have something happen.
I love the equalizer but now I wonder about the parts and how long they could actually last plus it just seems more user friendly to use the new HAHA and I would not really have to wrry about loosing all these little pins and pieces.
I have been looking into these for some time and it will probably be a bit longer before I actually get one but I just need some suggestions on if it would be the right decision.I was told in the past that it would probably be best to keep what I have but I do wonder still.Thanks.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:17 PM   #79
_

. , .
devoman

the haha can be used without the w/d components...

or they can be applied very lightly...

in fact u can REMOVE the w/d parts and the haha still controls motion as claimed.

richL has air/auto level on his nissan suv and uses a haha...

all your questions and MORE are answered in this thread...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ide-26279.html

cheers
2air'

Old 12-13-2007, 05:11 PM   #80
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Devoman,

2air' is correct that you don't have to use the weight distribution on the haha but you can't remove it. The spring bars in combination with the jacks hold the hitch box up when unhooked. You would also need to use them to adjust the hitch head angle when unhooking on unlevel ground.

This is also the same in the new design.