Old 06-28-2015, 03:51 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Council , Idaho
7-way wiring problems Help

I rewired my 79' AS trailer from 6 way to 7 way. I have 03 Tundra w/tow package. On my first trip everything I thought tested Ok. I soon found out that when I went to back up (putting the truck in reverse gear) the trailer. The gage-10 amp fuse in the tundra blows and I think the brakes lock up. What the heck is going on. To finish my trip I would go out and disconnect the plug before backing. Works great in forward including the brakes. Where is the feed back coming from??

Old 06-28-2015, 04:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by blheron View Post
I rewired my 79' AS trailer from 6 way to 7 way. I have 03 Tundra w/tow package. On my first trip everything I thought tested Ok. I soon found out that when I went to back up (putting the truck in reverse gear) the trailer. The gage-10 amp fuse in the tundra blows and I think the brakes lock up. What the heck is going on. To finish my trip I would go out and disconnect the plug before backing. Works great in forward including the brakes. Where is the feed back coming from??
Sounds like you have the backup light circuit going to the brakes. Or a strand of wire within one of the plugs is touching another circuit.

The correct wire colors for the circuits are as follows.

White = Ground
Blue = Charge line
Red = Left turn
Green = Clearance/tail lights.
Brown = Right turn.
Black = Back up lights
Yellow = Brakes

Andy

Old 06-28-2015, 04:43 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Texas
I am not sure what fuse you are talking about on your tundra that blew. Yes you said it is a 10 amp, but what does that fuse go to? Read the manual and let me know what that fuse is for. As far as the color combination of wires on the trailer, white is always ground, brown is the tail lights, black is the 12v supply, blue is the brakes from brake controller, yellow is left turn/brake light, and green is the right turn/brake light. On a seven way flat rv style plug, the center pin is reserved for reverse lights. On that old of a trailer, (and you said it yourself that it was a 6 way) it probably only has 6 wires. It sounds to me like you have the wire that should be for trailer brakes in the reverse light pin, which is the center pin on the 7 way plug. Which is why when you put it in reverse the trailer brakes lock up and usually blows the fuse. Is it the trailer brake fuse that blows each time? I'm sure it is. Did you wire anything on the center pin on the new 7 way?
Old 06-28-2015, 04:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Sounds like you may have your brakes wired to the backup line instead of the brake line.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 06:16 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Texas
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1435576560.545391.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	241817

The correct wiring color combination
Old 06-29-2015, 11:35 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Council , Idaho
Thanks all so far. The fuse that going is the gauge fuse in the tundra. In other words I lose all function of my OD and gauges. I also removed the black backup wire with no chance. I removed it because my Backup lights were on full time. I really have 6 wires going to a 7-wire plug. I will recheck my plug one more time.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:38 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by blheron View Post
Thanks all so far. The fuse that going is the gauge fuse in the tundra. In other words I lose all function of my OD and gauges. I also removed the black backup wire with no chance. I removed it because my Backup lights were on full time. I really have 6 wires going to a 7-wire plug. I will recheck my plug one more time.

Just make sure no wire is plugged into the center terminal of the 7 way plug. All 6 wires are to be on the outside 6 terminals.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:38 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
North Fort Myers , Florida
Quentin541,
thanks for posting the correct wiring. I was reading the previous two up top and said to myself, self, that's not what my service manual states! Many questions within this forum can be answered themselves if the would buy the service manual from airstream. I did and saved me hundreds of hours searching wire etc.!

ps. when life gets to riveting, put AS in the wind!
Old 06-29-2015, 02:20 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLBIJOU View Post
Quentin541,
thanks for posting the correct wiring. I was reading the previous two up top and said to myself, self, that's not what my service manual states! Many questions within this forum can be answered themselves if the would buy the service manual from airstream. I did and saved me hundreds of hours searching wire etc.!

ps. when life gets to riveting, put AS in the wind!

No problem. Unfortunately, there have been many ideas on wiring over the years but the industry standard for trailers regardless if its an airstream or not is what i posted above in both my posts. On Semi trailers the plug terminals are a little different. But the color code remains the same. Yes many answers in service manuals. If one can buy it get it!! I have rewired many a trailer the past couple of years. And the most common prob is a bad ground or a miswire. Etrailer.com is a great source for wiring diagrams for lights and trailer brakes. Some a little vague, but still good. Hope it all helps.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:26 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
Sometimes the hard part is figuring out which way the wiring picture is looking....easy to get it backwards. The diagrams for the trailer and the truck are mirror images. good post by Quentin
JCW
Old 06-29-2015, 02:36 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWDCW View Post
Sometimes the hard part is figuring out which way the wiring picture is looking....easy to get it backwards. The diagrams for the trailer and the truck are mirror images. good post by Quentin
JCW

Your exactly right. Even I have misread it and got it backwards. I spent almost thirty min one time because i kept putting the wires back on the same terminal even though i knew it needed to be switched. If one remembers to look at the pic and look at the back of the plug corresponding with the pic it'll be a cinch!
Old 07-05-2015, 03:36 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Texas
Here is another diagram for everyone that needs help with trailer wiring. There is a standard 7way and there is an rv standard 7way color diagram, however, the locations of the wires stays the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	faq043-trailer7waydia-ver2_2_800.jpg
Views:	614
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	242266   Click image for larger version

Name:	faq043-vehicle7waydia-ver2_2_800.jpg
Views:	12213
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	242267  

Old 07-05-2015, 04:58 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Council , Idaho
Quentin541 and all thanks for the info...... I have enough now to fix this. I cant tell you all how much this form knowledge base helps.
Old 07-05-2015, 10:07 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Texas
Absolutely no problem!!