Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2010, 01:38 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
denver , Colorado
65' Globetrotter towing questions - hitch ball size

Hello.

Please help me with some towing questions for a 1965 Globetrotter. Hasn't been towed in years, sitting in the elements and a lot of unknowns.

Owner states she doesn't know if it can be towed over a long distance - she hasn't seen the trailer in many years and doesn't know the condition.

I plan to tow it about 20 miles and have the tires replaced, bearings packed and brakes examined/replaced to get her home (about 300 miles).

My questions:

1. Hitch ball size?
2. Is there a manual handle to raise the front stabilizer at the towing triangle or is that an electric motor? If electric and doesn't work, then what?
3. Is the trailer lighting/electric brakes a 6 or 7 round?

Thank you!
star kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
The trailer should have coupler to receive a 2" ball. The GT should also have a manual tongue jack unless it'a been modified. Pick up a set of temporary magnetic towing trailer lights. You might want to consider new tires to begain with as a single axle trailer blowout can be costly to the exterior skin. Which direction from Denver are you going to bring the trailer from, and what is your tow vehical? Dragging a trailer from east to west won't be to bad without trailer brakes, west to east I would want the brakes working.

Welcome from Arvada
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 08:49 PM   #3
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
It should have a 7 pin connector. However A/S did not always use the standard wiring location in the connector. My '66 was different than the TV.

The jack as stated above should be manual. Electric would have been an option or previous owner modification. Again my '66 had an electric jack. It did work. Although I had to run new wiring at the time of pick up since the old wiring was messed up.

Next thing to look at is the axle. Long periods of sitting are no healthy for a torsion axle.

>>>>>>>>>>Action