Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2010, 08:03 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
rozenburg , netherlands
looks great! here another dodge ram owner, only a few years older
qc1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:09 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
I'm really looking forward to it. I had no WD/SC or anything with the 19' and Ford F250 combo. That was a different story, however. This combo is just fine, but tilts the scales more toward the upper limit and WD and SC is needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
AirHeadRik,

I guarantee you will like the ProPride. I used to tow with a Reese Dual Cam hitch, and the ProPride is so much better they are not even in the same league.

Yes, it costs more, but like many things, it's worth it. And, in the grand scheme of things like relating the cost of it to the cost of your tow vehicle and trailer, and more importantly, the safety of your family, I think they are more than worth the money. No, I don't work for ProPride...just a totally happy owner.
AirHeadRik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:11 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
Dodge trucks look really good with Airstreams. Just the curves lend themselves to the Airstream feel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ram.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	115856  
Old 11-23-2010, 08:32 AM   #24
_

. , .
yep d'rams got nice curves...

i especially like the subtly taller nose on the cummins rams.

but the ford is ugly in a good way.

so you ordered a pp? nice choice.

it's a lotta boxes and a big/heavy pile of iron,

and installation can seem overwhelming at first glance.

but read over the users thread, scan the many pix of our installs.

IF questions or issues appear, toss a pic or 2 in the UNofficial pp users thread...

and we can all kick in some help.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:09 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
Just waitin' on the Pro Pride. I had wishful thinking that it would show up before Thanksgiving (Who knows, today it could...) and my buddy Steve and I could get it installed before our next trip Friday. Even if I had to do it on Thanksgiving day, I would. (Who cares. Once I eat, I'm bored!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
yep d'rams got nice curves...

i especially like the subtly taller nose on the cummins rams.

but the ford is ugly in a good way.

so you ordered a pp? nice choice.

it's a lotta boxes and a big/heavy pile of iron,

and installation can seem overwhelming at first glance.

but read over the users thread, scan the many pix of our installs.

IF questions or issues appear, toss a pic or 2 in the UNofficial pp users thread...

and we can all kick in some help.

cheers
2air'
Old 02-20-2011, 08:20 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Miami , Florida
Friday we just traded in out 2004 Expedition for a 2006 Ram 1500 with the HEMI. We hooked up with 19' Bambi and the truck just sank. We have an Equalizer Hitch set up, but it looks way too low for my confort. Really worried that this new TV just won't do it. ALl the reason we waited so long for a new truck. Any words of inspiration or ideas. Thinking about addind ajustable airshocks.
MamaTRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:01 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
I'm curious to see who weighs in (no pun intended) on this subject. I have had zero problems with towing a 25' footer with my Ram. Now, realize that mine is a 2011 and it has a different suspension set up. It does sink a bit, (up until I got the Pro Pride), but nothing significant.

I seriously think that you can beef up the rear suspension with a more aggressive truck shock and be just fine.

There are times that I wish I had my Ford F-250 Diesel back, but those times are rare. When we are towing, sure, it would be nice to have a heavier duty truck, but the rest of the time it drives so nice and parks great for my wife and kid.

Good luck. I really think with some heavier duty shocks you'll be rockin'!

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaTRC View Post
Friday we just traded in out 2004 Expedition for a 2006 Ram 1500 with the HEMI. We hooked up with 19' Bambi and the truck just sank. We have an Equalizer Hitch set up, but it looks way too low for my confort. Really worried that this new TV just won't do it. ALl the reason we waited so long for a new truck. Any words of inspiration or ideas. Thinking about addind ajustable airshocks.
Old 02-21-2011, 08:02 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
BTW
I had air shocks on a Chevy truck years ago. Looooved them!
Old 02-21-2011, 09:03 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Quote:
Have you re-adjusted the tension in the Weight Distribution system for the new rig so that the front wheel arch of the truck is at least returned down to its height when the trailer is not attached? After this, have you adjusted the towball height on the hitch to make the trailer horizontal? If you have done these two fundamentals, you have a firm basis on which to make finer adjustments before visits to the weighing scales.
(If you want advice on the desirabilty of adjustable airshocks for curing assumed problems with hitch settings, you could try asking Andy at Inland RV. Before you do, put on your visor, crash helmet, and fire-proof overalls.)
Nick.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:32 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst View Post
(If you want advice on the desirabilty of adjustable airshocks for curing assumed problems with hitch settings, you could try asking Andy at Inland RV. Before you do, put on your visor, crash helmet, and fire-proof overalls.)
Nick.
That's note a joke!
Old 02-21-2011, 10:12 AM   #31
_

. , .
Quote:
Friday we just traded in out 2004 Expedition for a 2006 Ram 1500 with the HEMI. We hooked up with 19' Bambi and the truck just sank...
yo mama!

welcome.

an Unmodified 1500 should be more than adequate for bambi...

unless u r hauling another bambi in the truck bed.

post a few pix, provide more info.

lots of possibilities but without more details 4 the readers here to consider...

help is gonna be vague.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 11:26 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
Real life experience

In the past 2.5 yrs, we have towed around 22,000 miles (camping 141 nights) with a 2004 1500 Dodge Quad Cab Hemi. Trailer tongue weight is 800lbs, and we load approx. 300 lbs of gear in the truck bed. I've weighed the rig twice at CAT scales, and the fully loaded trailer axle weight is around 6,000 lbs (while hooked). I use 1,000 lb. Reese round bars with the equalizer, and no other sway control.

We have been to each end of US1 (Key West and Maine), up to the far reaches of BC (Prince Edward Island). We have towed across Kansas with high wind warnings, through the mountains of NC and TN, the hills of Arkansas, and the steep inclines of Colorado. I have never experienced the first moment of sway (even in the middle of storms), and no popped rivets.

The only problem the truck has experienced was a transmission rebuild at 68,900 miles. (This problem was self-induced as I pulled 3,000 lbs of motorcycle trailer for three years without locking the torque converter with the tow-haul mode). The only modifications to the truck have been the installation of Monroe coil-over load equalizing shocks on the rear. I had experienced some "porpoising" on a few interstates, and the OEM shocks were probably worn out anyway. Either way, the installation of new shocks solved this issue.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the Dodge as a TV. I have been tempted several times (convinced by reading this forum that I didn't have enough truck) to test drive other models. I keep coming back to my old Dodge. It has served me well, and I still like it better than the new trucks.

Tires, on the other hand, are a whole separate issue. After last year's experience with GYMs, there is a set of Maxxis "E's" just waiting for installation. I know.....too much tire.....not enough truck!

Chief

AIR # 22776
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:51 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Montrose , Colorado
Click image for larger version

Name:	2010 Late Summer 009.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	361.9 KB
ID:	122774

Love it! 2010 Dodge 1500 4x4 TRX, w/HEMI. Pulls the 20' Pony Keg with power to spare, even in the Colorado mountains.
Henny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:15 AM   #34
1 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Miami , Florida
Talking Wonderful News!!

Thanks you everyone for all the wonderful information!! I so appreciate everyone.

Yesterday was quite an adventure. Made more calls that I thought was humanly possible; locate mechanics, specialized custom mechanic, trailer shop, local dealerships, the Corp offices of Dodge, Airstream, etc, etc, etc. Had both the desk top and laptop going at the same time. Good thing I’m ambidextrous!

When hubby and I got home, we took all the measurements and started to take apart the Equal-izer set up and wow what a HUGE difference!!! Nickcrowhurst, you were right on it!! Hubby said he wanted to do this Sunday, guess I was not listening. Well it worked beautifully. Happy to say the Bambi was successfully pulled into the drive way. Good thing, hubby bonded with the new Ram, so it was staying! We’ll be testing out the ride on Friday to see if he still wants airshocks.

I was so excited, I completely forgot to take picture of the first hitching up. But I hope to post some pictures from this coming weekend.
MamaTRC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags