Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2015, 03:29 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 28' International
Columbus , Ohio
2015 Yukon/Suburban towing mirrors

I have a new 2015 GMC Yukon Denali and a new 28' Airstream International trailer. I have searched the internet for towing mirrors that will fit the Denali, but no luck. My AS dealer sold me a pair of universal towing mirrors, but they shake and slip like crazy. Does anyone know of a mirror set that will fit a 2014/2015 GMC Yukon/Tahoe/Suburban. Chevy and GMC dealers are clueless regarding this matter.

Thanks for any advice on towing mirrors...
mohawk622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 04:14 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
A number of us are using the JR mirrors. They go on and off easily and find them to be very adjustable and relatively stable. They probably will fit most any vehicle.

Amazon.com: JR Products 2899 Aero 2 Towing Mirror - Pair: Automotive
remphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:56 PM   #3
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by remphoto View Post
A number of us are using the JR mirrors. They go on and off easily and find them to be very adjustable and relatively stable. They probably will fit most any vehicle.

Amazon.com: JR Products 2899 Aero 2 Towing Mirror - Pair: Automotive
There is a larger version of this mirror, the Grand Areo, that provides more visibility. It does not work on all mirrors so check first. We found they worked best when clamped to the top o the mirror instead of the bottom as shown in the link above. Additionally, these mirrors are good enough, but they are not as stable as your standard mirrors. The best solution appears to be the mirrors that are formed to the back and sides of the OEM mirrors. From your comments, they are not yet available. So, suggest you get a set of Aeros and use them until a larger population of Denalis sells and the form fits are available. Enjoy your tow! Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 02:12 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Dayton , Ohio
I have the Grand Aero on my 2012 Yukon and love them.
rumbac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:38 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

I have a 2015 suburban & pull a 27' Safari. I don't think our situations could get much more similar. Anyway, I use a universal mirror by K Source. It is extremely easy to install , fairly inexpensive, (around $25) & it is sturdy. It has a ratchet system that clamps it on snugly. It's not the largest mirror nor does it extend out the furthest but it does the job. Try it I believe you'll like it. You can get it on the web or in a auto parts store like Advance Auto.
loberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:52 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Could you put towing mirrors from a Sierra/Silverado on a Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon?
In past model years you could because the front cap, windshield, and front doors were the same across the model line-up, but I don't know if these vehicles share the same doors in the 2015 model year.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:18 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Absolutely. I also own a 2012 Silverado. The k source mirrors fit on it & my 2015 suburban. I could be crazy but I think it was one of the better purchases I've made for the airstream since I purchased it 6 months ago. Plus, if you buy it at a local store and don't like it, you can return it easily. You really can't lose.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:36 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Also

It took me about 10 minutes to set up the 1st mirror when I got them. The second was much faster. Now that they're set up it takes me less than 2 minutes to put them on & about 10 seconds to take them off. Each. This is not an exaggeration. I'm starting to feel like I'm trying to sell you these things as if I have something to gain by it. I'm simply answering your plea for help & telling you my experience. Good luck with what ever you choose.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:07 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
GMC Trucks

This is one of the things that bothers me about a GM vehicle. Why do they put the stupid rabbit ear mirrors on a 2500 or 3500 series Cheby or GMC? Really GM?? What's the truck designed to do? Tow a load, or pimp down the street? My 2012 came with the rabbit ears, and I wanted the larger stock mirrors. GM wants over 600 bones for a stock set. HA! KMA GM! This is one instance where they truly have their heads up their 4th point of contact. I searched the net, and finally found a company in CA selling a pair new, for 350 bones. Still WAY too much, but The "paddles" as they are affectionately called are the dumbest thing GM ever put on a 2500/3500 series truck. I would get yourself a free membership to SilveradoSierra.com • Chevy Truck Forum | Silverado Sierra GMC Truck Forums and git to lookin around there. They do have classifieds, and you may find someone who wants those stupid things as alot of those peeps pimp out their trucks. I sold my stock chrome rims off of their classifieds for free in less than 48 hours. Nuttin but trucks over there. I apologize for not having the link to where I got mine, but you can certainly beat the heck out of GM's factory price gouging. You'll appreciate the real ones, and not the add-ons. So much wider of a view too. I considered the smaller add-ons, but IMHO, "come correct, or don't come at all."
Sea ya down the road,
Gavin
FishinHatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 04:28 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
I have a feeling that the towing mirrors that GM put on our 2015 Sierra Denali HD would probably go on your 2015 Yukon Denali. I'm sure they wouldn't be inexpensive, but they are outstanding mirrors!

They are loaded with great features: power fold-in-fold-out, remote power adjusting, top mirrors for distance, bottom wide angle mirrors for close by stuff, built-in night time running lights (as you can see "on" below), and built-in turn indicator lights facing rearward in the mirror and facing forward and sideways on the front outside of the housing.

In addition, they have built-in, super-bright white LED backup lights to assist when in reverse! They are amazing mirrors that are worth the expense, in my view. (Though they were standard equipment on our truck.) We love them!

DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:08 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
z , North Carolina
Ugh

DHart...you're KILLING me on the drool factor here. That is one damn fine piece of metal you got there. If I only had the cash, if I ONLY had the cash!
I would love to have a set of those mirrors too. I had no idea they had a reverse light. I'm signing off before I ruin my keyboard! Pretty sweet lookin ride!
FishinHatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 05:49 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
2015 GMC Sierra Denali HD mirrors:

Rear-facing turn indicators are the six LEDs in the upper mirror. Back up LEDs are the two on the lower left side of the housing.

Running lights and front-facing and side-facing turn indicators are within the wrap-around amber lens area. These mirrors really get "the word out" when you plan to make a turn, and when you're oncoming at night!

Old 07-09-2015, 05:50 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
My boss just got a Chevy Silverado High Country 2500 Duramax/Allison.
It doesn't have are vents for the back seat!
It may have the ductwork under the seats like the older models, but nothing in the B-pillars or back of the center console. His 2011 LTZ 1500 6.2L doesn't have air vents in the back seat, either.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 07-09-2015, 06:20 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
The mirrors can be programmed to automatically fold in when the truck is parked.

Old 07-09-2015, 07:37 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I just drove the local GMC lot.
The mirror mount/sail panel area looks different on the Sierra and Yukon. The body lines/profile is different.

TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 07-09-2015, 10:35 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
I just drove the local GMC lot.
The mirror mount/sail panel area looks different on the Sierra and Yukon. The body lines/profile is different.

Perhaps this might be a little extreme, but maybe the window/mirror mount could be replaced with one for the Sierra? Or not. I have no idea.

You could always trade the Yukon. People do trade very youthful vehicles for another one which may suit their needs/desires better. In fact, I recently did! I had a new 2015 Yukon Denali that I had owned for only about 5 months when I decided to trade it in on the 2015 Sierra Denali HD. But I didn't do it just for the mirrors. Payload had a LOT to do with it. Then there was the diesel puling power and engine braking. Lots of good reasons to do the switch given I would be pulling the 30 footer. Plus, I like nice trucks better than SUVs, so I didn't hesitate to do the swap. Yes, it cost a little money to do the swap, but now I have the truck that I want to tow the new 30' Serenity. Life is good.