Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2010, 06:15 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
leo , Indiana
2010 2500 Suburban Excella 30 1998 bad hitch set up

So my wife and I picked up our "new" Airstream yesterday, problem is we were told our old Reese WD and friction sway would work ok.

Problem #1. Picked up trailer after hitch installed and front of trailer is 5" higher than rear and Reese doesn't make a longer dropdown. Installer said "it's fine".

Problem #2. Stopped at an RV place closer to and on the way home he said the other shop should not have let me leave like this. He also said current setup is not adequate sway control for a 30' trailer. Trailer guy #2 recommended an Equalizer 4 point. I would have bought this at Trailer guy #1 where we traded in but was told my equipment on my trade in trailer was fine.

Help please I want this to be right!
2010 2500 Suburban 4x4/ Excella 1000 30" 1998 7129#

I know this is probably covered somewhere so I apologize but I'm really confused
bikedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:24 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
when i had a reese dual cam on my 28 safari the hitch head was adjustable.it may require the purchase of a new adjustable hitch.on that size trailer you dont want to tow with the front end high or you will have sway.my 31 i now tow with a hensley and a diesel excursion.your trailer is much too heavy for an inadequate hitching setup.
xonvldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:33 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
A trailer should always pull level, if possible. Pulling a little low in front is OK. Pulling high can be dangerous. The guy that told you that pulling high is fine doesn't know what he is talking about. I'm not familiar with your hitch system, but I do know that you need a sufficient drop on the hitch bar to be able to pull level. The new Suburbans have a fairly high receiver, requiring a greater drop in the hitch bar.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
Years ago I had the same problem with a 31 foot Airstream and a Chev Pickup. I took my hitch which came with the used trailer to the local welding shop and they lowered it for $50. Used it for 10 years with out a problem.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikedog View Post
So my wife and I picked up our "new" Airstream yesterday, problem is we were told our old Reese WD and friction sway would work ok.

Problem #1. Picked up trailer after hitch installed and front of trailer is 5" higher than rear and Reese doesn't make a longer dropdown. Installer said "it's fine".
A 5" difference means you need a hitch that's 2 or 3" lower assuming that the WD is dialed in correctly. Maybe more if you don't have the WD tight enough which is likely.

I would get a new hitch for this reason alone.

Quote:
He also said current setup is not adequate sway control for a 30' trailer.

He's right

Quote:
Trailer guy #2 recommended an Equalizer 4 point. I would have bought this at Trailer guy #1 where we traded in but was told my equipment on my trade in trailer was fine.
Quote:
I personally am not much of a fan of the Equalizer because they sell through dealers and the prices are high for what you get. I believe the Reese dual-cam hitch is a better hitch, and it costs less.

You could also get a Propride hitch if you have the money.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
When I shopped for a Reese hitch this summer, Reese made any drop I needed. I'm not sure what world I live in.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:49 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
leo , Indiana
In my world a 14" dropdown is as long as Reese makes. It's 24" to the bottom of the reciever on my TV. Equalizer makes a longer dropdown so I may go that way.

Thanks to all for confirming my set up was not "fine" I'll post the results soon.
bikedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:11 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Wait a Minute...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikedog View Post
In my world a 14" dropdown is as long as Reese makes. It's 24" to the bottom of the reciever on my TV. Equalizer makes a longer dropdown so I may go that way.

Thanks to all for confirming my set up was not "fine" I'll post the results soon.
Something is VERY Wrong. I've had an 03 Suburb 2500 & now have a 2007 Silverado 2500. When I bought the Silverado, it appeared to be butt-high. The tires in the rear were nearly 10 inches below the wheel well side, while the ones in the front were only about 6 inches clear.
I thought I'd need more adjustment than my dual cam receiver had, but had to do one short tow badly set up first. So I hitched my 18" high trailer onto my 22 inch high ball. Lo... my Silverado which looked to be nose low, just evened out.

I was amazed, but worried that I wouldn't have good steering control, but it towed fine. The next week I hitched up and went to the truck stop to get on the scales. With the weight bars on, everything was pretty even on the trailer axles and between the front and rear truck axles.

The funny thing is that after a month or two, the back end of the Silverado went down a couple of inches. According to a service guy at the dealership, the shocks just soften up a bit.

I did switch down to 600lb bars instead of the 1000's I had. Much smoother. However I too think the ProPride is the way to go if money is no object and you put lots of miles on towing.

Paula
Old 10-27-2010, 05:44 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post

The funny thing is that after a month or two, the back end of the Silverado went down a couple of inches. According to a service guy at the dealership, the shocks just soften up a bit.

Paula
Shocks dont hold up a truck unless they have springs on the outside, they just dampen.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:46 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
Shocks dont hold up a truck unless they have springs on the outside, they just dampen.
Not totally true....high pressure gas shocks, now used by most manufacturers, have a significant amount of lift.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:12 AM   #11
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I also suggest that rather than buying a Reese or other similar hitch, go ahead and invest in a sway eliminating hitch like the ProPride or Hensley (which is the one I have). It will give you years of safer towing and over your towing life the initial cost will be forgotten.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote