Old 02-08-2009, 07:07 PM   #1
1965 22' Safari
lonoke , Arkansas
Question 1965 safari needs towing - have hitch questions

I just picked up a 65 Safari Double, and have never owned an airstream. It is going to be a restoration job for me over the next couple of years It is supposed to have a sway bar with it. If it does, can I just hook it up to a hitch and go (after sway bar hooked up) or do I need a special hitch for the truck??? Need to tow it about 300 miles to my shop to start the fun!!

stevewilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:22 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1990 34' Excella
1964 22' Safari
Savage , Minnesota

Welcome to the Forums! I am not a towing expert, so I will let someone else comment on that. Glad to hear another 60's era Safari will be restored. We'll be anxious to hear your progress.

"I've got aluminum fever, and the only prescription, is more AIRSTREAM!!!"

'64 Safari Resoration Blog ("May"):

AIR 25979
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:34 PM   #3
Wagon Master
It depends on what you are calling a sway bar? Are you referin gto the tube that has a bar that slides in it and you can add more or less friction as needed. I mounts to two small balls about 1 inch. one on the tralier and one on the truck hitch. Or is it the two bars that twist lock in to the truck hitch and are hooked to the trailer via chains? If it is the later than you need the right hitch and they are actually equalizer bars. They will take weight off the back of your truck and move it forward. The first one is a sway control and you can have one or two. But you need the ball on the truck hitch. But me personally would look at the roads you are taking..Interstate, mountain, snow, stong crosswinds likley? and base you desision on that. If you are towing with a 1ton 3/4 ton, 1/2 ton etc. I would check the trailer tung carefully for cracks, shoot some grease in the berrings and go. But that is just me and I feel safe doing that as I used to haul logging eguipment off-highway in the BC Rockies for a living. you need to find your comfort level.
Igor68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Welcome to the Forum.
What are you using for a tow vehicle? What kind of hitch do you have now? Do you have a brake controller in the TV?
If the sway bar is the typical friction type, the tongue doesnít sit more than a few inches high or low when hooked up and the hitch is the same size as the receiver then a cautious, easy pull should be OK.
If itís a weight distributing type hitch ,two spring bars with an adjustable head, then you may have to do some on the spot adjustments.
Depending on your tow vehicle you might find the wiring harness incompatible with a mid 60s Airstream.
If everything fits together OK and you get on the road check the wheels to see if there is any excessive heat coming from the bearings or the brake drums. You donít want to lose any part of the running gear on a single axle rig.
Good luck, let us know how it goes.

AirForums # 2806
WBCCI / VAC # 6411

Not All Who Wander Are Lost.

Avid supporter of trailing edge technology.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote

1965, 1965 safari, sway, towing