Old 10-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
RWC , California
16' Bambi Tow Setup

First, thanks to all of you for the tons of info on this forum for us rookies. After hours of reading and driving myself crazy, I think I have settled on the following. Advice if this is good or not would be great.

16 Bambi new - 3500 GVWR, 350 lb tongue weight dry
2011 Toyota Tundra - full size
Equal-i-zer 600 lb tongue weight/6000 lb max trailer weight (item#09-00-0600)

Two additional questions:

1) I read that going on the lighter side (i.e the 6K instead of the 10K Equal-i-zer hitch) will be better in not "over stiffening" the hitch assembly since my truck is beyond capable of handling the small Bambi (in terms of towing capacity). Agreed on my scenario? Or is going with the 10K better?

2) I read also that the Equal-i-zers can be noisy. Grease / sleeves I understand helps this. Is this an issue & worth switching to a Reese Straight Line system (like a 600 or 800 pound trunnion bar system)?

Thanks!

Old 10-15-2013, 09:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
if you are wanting options in light weight distribution bars, the blue ox swaypro can be bought with bars rated at just 350 pounds or 550 pounds ( or 750, 1000, 1200 or 2000 pounds).
It is quiet and "clean" in that the parts you handle all the time are not greased.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Another option for you to consider with your combination would be the Andersen WD system. Light weight, quite, no grease required and built in sway control.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal bass View Post
First, thanks to all of you for the tons of info on this forum for us rookies. After hours of reading and driving myself crazy, I think I have settled on the following. Advice if this is good or not would be great.

Two additional questions:

1) I read that going on the lighter side (i.e the 6K instead of the 10K Equal-i-zer hitch) will be better in not "over stiffening" the hitch assembly since my truck is beyond capable of handling the small Bambi (in terms of towing capacity). Agreed on my scenario? Or is going with the 10K better?

2) I read also that the Equal-i-zers can be noisy. Grease / sleeves I understand helps this. Is this an issue & worth switching to a Reese Straight Line system (like a 600 or 800 pound trunnion bar system)?

Thanks!
IMHO both of the hitches you mention, the Equal-I-zer, and the Reese, are both too stiff for your application even with the lightest bars.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:37 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Salt Lake City , Utah
Do NOT go with the 10,000. I had that setup on my 16' from the previous owner and just "downgraded" this year to 600/6,000. So much better.

Stan
Salt Lake City
Old 10-16-2013, 12:07 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
I never understood greasing the eq bars for noise. I wonder if they also grease the brakes. That would be the equivalent. 600# bars would be the heaviest you should go. You can drive yourself crazy with everyone's opinions. Do your research and pick something and get it installed. Mine is better then yours and his is better then mine can be exhausting. Enjoy
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:23 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Is that Anderson thread still going? I think I stop somewhere after 1200 posts.
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:14 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUMSHIP View Post
Is that Anderson thread still going? I think I stop somewhere after 1200 posts.
I quit too, but it's still going with the same few cheerleaders, and a few of the same naysayers posting from time to time.

I would think the Andersen would work great on a 16 footer, as long as you understand how it works, and do the installation so the side pieces can't slide.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
Your combo sound good to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal bass View Post

Norcal, Been towing a 16' Bambi for 7 years with a Reese hitch with 600lb bars. The hitch came with the trailer and it is not the dual cam version so I run a friction sway bar with it. She tows like a dream and has always been steady as a rock. Would definitely stay with the lighter 6000 lb max version. Had nothing but pleasant results from mine and I'm sure the Equalizer will serve you well also. Enjoy your new trailer!!
Old 10-16-2013, 07:46 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
K.C. , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
....snip....

Look for a hitch appropriate to your trailer and tongue weight.
And to followup my reply earlier about the BlueOx, and to tie it in to part of Doug's response, I will add something else. The reason I mentioned that BlueOx offers weight bars as light as 350 pounds is because there is a recurring mention on this forum that an A/S requires, or at least prefers a soft ride for best rivet life. Inland Andy regularly points this out, and from my perspective, as non-A/S owner ( yet ) it would be pretty hard to argue against his statements. He obviously has far more experience with this brand than most others.

So...that brings me back to the idea of using 350 pound bars for the OP trailer. I would guess his actual tongue weight is going to be over 350, so it could be that 550 pound bars might be more appropriate, but I am wondering if 350 bars would help achieve the desired "soft ride", while still giving the desired weight transfer and effective sway control ?
Old 10-16-2013, 07:55 AM   #11
Rivet Master

If you have the Equalizer use it. The 1000 pound bars are overkill, use the 600 bars. You will get a soft ride if you use LT tires in the appropriate load range and reduce if not eliminate the ST tire blowout risk.
I never grease mine. Grease makes a huge mess. It squeaks a bit. My hitch is 8 years old and shows very little wear.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:41 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I am all of the suggestions will work! The question is what will offer you the best results.
The only caveat about the Andersen is that the company who manufacturers them seems to have (or have had issues) with the receiver used by Airstream and last I knew did not suggest the hitch be used in this application. Some people have cut the trailer frame and replaced their receivers to get around this. I would check with Andersen before going there.
We all seem to like rationalizing our hitch choices.
I tow a 16" 2012 Bambi with a Ford F-150.
I began towing with an Equalizer hitch and 600 lb bars at the dealers suggestion. After about 6000 miles of towing I switched to a ProPride hitch. I would never go back! The Equalizer was fine but there is no comparing the towing experience to the ProPride (or a Hensley, same difference).
I still own the Equalizer and would happily sell it to anyone who would like to try one....
Bruce
Old 10-16-2013, 08:52 AM   #13
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Remember......

.......it's the WD bars that may be overkill not the hitch. Get a hitch that will tow any AS that you will buy sometime down the line.

I started out with this style Reese with our 22' Safari, it worked for the much heavier 25' Classic, with heavier bars and dual friction slides, went to the Hensley Arrow in 2007.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:10 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2014 16' Sport
RWC , California
Thank you all for the great advice. You've all helped me tons. Sounds like a Hensley or Propride would be great ... but at $2,300, I think that is out for me at least for now. Not trying to go cheap, but although those hitches are superior, just the total amount of parts & pieces seems like a crazy overkill for this small, light setup.

I guess the Anderson probably is out too since I guess there are issues with it not working with the standard AS coupler. I too have heard people having to switch to a QB coupler or something different. Is that simply due to the inability to hook it up without backing straight into it or is it something more critical? Modifying the coupler on a 16 bambi to accommodate the Anderson doesn't seem worth it, again, for this light set up.

I guess an Equal-i-zer with the lightest bars (600s) or a Reese with light bars will have to be the one. The Airstream always turns heads in a campground, might as well turn more heads with loud creaking & cracking if I go with the Equal-i-zer.