Old 02-01-2011, 12:04 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
It was recommended to me to switch from 800 pound bars to 600 pound bars by you know who on my 25 footer towed with a HD 1/2 ton GMC. I did the switch, and I noticed the bars bent more to transfer the same weight, and that was all. I feel like in that circumstance, I wasted time and money.

So I believe every situation needs to be evaluated on it's own merrit, and not just jump off making changes because some parts salesman says it's "a must". Additionally, I don't think you can go too far from wrong if you follow the hitch manufacturer's recommendations, not the salesman's at the RV store.

These hitches are designed by engineers to do a specific job, and those engineers know more about the product than most of us will ever know.

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."-- Thomas Jefferson
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:22 PM   #16
Rivet Master
2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I'm not trying to be an advocate for any point of view, just to do whats right in the situation. I have Eaz Lift. Instructions PDF:

On page one, to me it infers the hitch has to have adequate bars to meet the hitch's rating. In other words using 600 lb bars with 900 pound tongue load would not meet the requirements of the hitch manufacturer.

I surely can see not going to overkill here--using bars in excess of whats necessary.

tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:42 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
1200# bars too much for my set-up?

Greetings Camp!

Originally Posted by Camp View Post
Hitch bars, while serving a very important purpose, are boring. Convertible Caddy tow vehicles are!! My son asked if I could tow the argosy with my 68 corvette. I like it without the wheel covers. How did you keep it from bottoming out? Just WD hitch or beefed-up suspension? Uh, oh, now I'm hijacking my own thread.
Prior to towing for the first time the rear springs were replaced with heavier new units froom Moog's Cargo Coil Division. Heavy duty gas-charged shocks were then installed along with air bladders in the rear springs. The air bladders are never inflated beyond 20 psi (minimum man. recommended inflation). The Reese Straight-Line Hitch with Dual Cam Sway Controls handles everyting else in the process.

Since the photo was take, I have acquired stainless stell beauty rings for the wheels along with simulated "knock-off" spinners for the center of the wheels.

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:13 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Went through the same thing, had 1,000# bars and got a 600# set-up on Ebay, sold the other set-up for even money to someone with a much heavier trailer. The cat, who rides back there, says it's smoooooth now. Takes a while to get all these things dialed in when you haven't owned a big trailer before but it's worth doing right I think.
Love that Caddy! -tim

tphan is offline   Reply With Quote