Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Hitches, Couplers & Balls
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-30-2007, 10:28 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
1 Ton Van TV and 25 ' AS - what hitch?

I have search the forums and do not find much on towing with a 1 Ton Ford Econoline Van, (just two seats, your basic work van). We load the van with lots of stuff for going to dog shows, and two large dogs.

We are getting a 25 ' Safari SE in a month or so, and I am trying to research which hitch is the best.

I have read some say the 1 Ton is too stiff for the AS, but I cannot get a new TV right now, so I need to make the best choice I can.

I am seriously considering a Hensley, but the dealer has said a Reese Dual Cam would suffice.

We currently tow a 22' SOB with a Reese (do not think it is a dual cam), and we do experience some sway, which really scares me. So for the preservation of my sanity, and marriage, I would spend the money for a Hensley if it will take care of sway. But also concerned about the height, the TV is rather high, and stiffness of the TV, will that matter?

Thanks for any advice,
Diane
bernermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 10:44 AM   #2
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernermom
I have search the forums and do not find much on towing with a 1 Ton Ford Econoline Van, (just two seats, your basic work van). We load the van with lots of stuff for going to dog shows, and two large dogs.

We are getting a 25 ' Safari SE in a month or so, and I am trying to research which hitch is the best.

I have read some say the 1 Ton is too stiff for the AS, but I cannot get a new TV right now, so I need to make the best choice I can.

I am seriously considering a Hensley, but the dealer has said a Reese Dual Cam would suffice.

We currently tow a 22' SOB with a Reese (do not think it is a dual cam), and we do experience some sway, which really scares me. So for the preservation of my sanity, and marriage, I would spend the money for a Hensley if it will take care of sway. But also concerned about the height, the TV is rather high, and stiffness of the TV, will that matter?

Thanks for any advice,
Diane
Diane, is your van extended or is it the regular version with the short rear overhang? If it is indeed the extended version, then I would recommend the best hitch that you can afford, either Hensley, Reese Dual Cam HP or Equalizer. The long distance on the Ford vans from the axle to the hitch can contribute to sway.
I used to tow with an extended Dodge 1 ton van, and this is why I know....
Old 10-30-2007, 10:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
I pulled with an Econoline for 5 years and never had a problem with sway. I've been using an older Reese WD with 750 bars. The draw head has a provision for mounting a sway bar if needed. Check yours.
As far as the TV being too high, if you can get the ball height correct I don't think that would be a factor.
Maybe try a short run with the old hitch and make a choice when you see how the new unit rides.

Thinking off the top of my head,
Tom.

Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:16 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
It is not the extended cab, it is the regular one.

Thanks
Diane
Old 10-30-2007, 11:30 AM   #5
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
It is not the extended cab, it is the regular one.

Thanks
Diane
That would work in favor of towing, in my opinion. Make sure you have 1-ton tires, ( load range D or E) and you will most likely be good to go with your old hitch, adjusted to the new trailer, of course.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:34 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
Not sure if I can keep my old hitch. I am trading in the Trailer, and the contract did not specify that the hitch is being traded in with the trailer. So I assumed I could use my hitch also, but then the dealer said the hitch usually stays with the trailer, so now I am not sure.

The hitch is the original one we bought in 1994, so maybe it is time for a new one. Do they get worn out?

Diane
Old 10-30-2007, 11:36 AM   #7
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Not trying to hijack

Diane,
I too have been thinking about hitches a lot lately. Part of my approach has been to try and identify the causes of insatiability and address them 'pre-hitch' if you will. This thread may be of help in thinking out how to get your gear in line http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...res-37009.html

I hope this doesn't take your thread off target..

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 11:47 AM   #8
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Not sure if I can keep my old hitch. I am trading in the Trailer, and the contract did not specify that the hitch is being traded in with the trailer. So I assumed I could use my hitch also, but then the dealer said the hitch usually stays with the trailer, so now I am not sure.

The hitch is the original one we bought in 1994, so maybe it is time for a new one. Do they get worn out?

Diane
Usually, trailers come without hitches...at least when you buy new, unless the dealer throws in a nitch for free etc.
Hitches do wear out, where the weight distribution bars go through the hitch head. Too m uch wear there from lack of grease can make the hitch less effective, or can cause uneven bar height from side to side.
It depends on jow it was treated while you had it. My old Eaz-lift lasted well, and worked well when I sold it, but it did show a slight bit of wear on teh bars and hitch head. Best o get it looked at by a pro if you're not sure.
Old 10-30-2007, 11:59 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
Rodney,
Thanks, I did read your thread, and to be honest, I don't really understand much of what was being discussed. I really cannot change my TV right now, as it is less than two years old, and with just ordering the new AS.

What is meant by the lb weight of the bars, vs the hitch weight.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:24 PM   #10
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Rodney,
Thanks, I did read your thread, and to be honest, I don't really understand much of what was being discussed. I really cannot change my TV right now, as it is less than two years old, and with just ordering the new AS.

What is meant by the lb weight of the bars, vs the hitch weight.

The good news here is that there are things you can do short of changing your TV. I would say there was agreement that correct tires and tire pressure top the list, but someone would object just to argue.

The short and dirty answer to your questions is this: the bar weight is a rating for force they can distribute, and the hitch weight is the amount of weight the tongue applies to the tow vehicle. Tongue weight is another place you can adjust without buying a new TV (here). No doubt there will now be 17 replies explaining how I have that wrong, but that is the general idea.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:33 PM   #11
_

. , .
Quote:
...I am seriously considering a Hensley, but the dealer has said a Reese Dual Cam would suffice....

So for the preservation of my sanity, and marriage, I would spend the money for a Hensley if it will take care of sway.,,,
hi bernermom and congrats on the new trailer!

great looking pooches too...

regardless of which brand/style hitch is chosen the issues of spring bars and hitch height and the van suspension will continue.

the simple-est way to to soften the van (if that is your goal) is to modify the rear suspension in one of the safe and proven ways.

but those sorts of tuning issues can happen (if at all) AFTER you use the combo a while...

deciding what is 'sufficient' in hitches is more personal. the driver/owners must use what they feel best using.

and the dealer isn't you (or your husband) right?

it drives some folks CRAZY when potential haha users mention the reasons you've mentioned...

they believe that IF you just set it up right and learn how to drive the other hitches will suffice.

there a LOT of happy haha users here (but we may not be sane) and exactly NONE would give up the hitch for something else merely 'sufficient'

that sort of product loyalty is rare, rare, rare.

almost everyone (non users too!) agree the haha will 'take care of sway'

take a look and any of the hensley threads for those insane testimonials and the equally crazy skeptics....

happy hunting and enjoy the travel!

cheers
2air'

and IF you have any specific questions about the haha consider asking over here...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...ide-26279.html

the answer may already be there and if it isn't a user will jump in and help ya!

also their customer support/tech support is good about answering questions without sales pressure and toll free.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 12:55 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
I would bet dollars to donuts the 25' Airstream will tow much better than the 22' SOB assuming it will be connected optimally (which most aren't by the way).

You may fine the 25' tows well with no sway using the Reese but the Hensley always provides the extra margin of safety, especially when you need it most.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:28 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
Can you get 550 lb bars with the Hensley. I was told that I should use them with a 1 ton van, instead of the 750 lb.
Old 10-30-2007, 02:44 PM   #14
_

. , .
no, or not easily.

sorry but the '550' advice is misleading and may be ridiculous

your trailer has a tongue mass that is likely to be 750-900lbs once loaded and measured.

550 lb bars will NOT transfer sufficient load, with ANY of the hitches.

with your tv some hitch brands will not have sway dampening unless the spring bars are adequately flexed,

so the lighter bars will flex more and allow the hitch to function. that is NOT an issue with the haha.

given your trailer specs (and tv) i'd opt for a hitch with 1000 lbs bars but no less than 750 lbs...

this debate gets into a quagmire that is well documented in other threads.

no doubt you are getting this advice via pm or phone with warnings of death and destruction IF u fail to follow it...

some hitches DO NOT allow interchanging spring bars of different ratings...

in other words a new hitch must be purchased in going from 500 or 750 to 1000 lb specs....

for a clue to the more complete picture start with post #44 here...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f232...use-28204.html

you may wanna read the full thread but about 14 of the posts are misleading.

otoh the haha does accept ALL 3 rated bars and has full sway control function even without spring bars...

in your case the 1000lbs bars could be tightened as little or as much as needed...

you cannot do that with bars rated at 1/2 of the tongue mass

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:04 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

The reason you were advised to use lighter-than-normal weight-transfer spring bars is the hope that doing so will reduce the negative effects of a heavily sprung tow vehicle on a trailer. But using lighter-than-needed spring bars may not be a good solution.

To my knowledge, only one type of hitch actually addresses the issue: the air hitch. I use the AirSafe air hitch on my trailer, and it does, indeed soften the harsh effects of my pickup truck on my trailer. However, this is not a cheap alternative: it cost me about $1000 for my Class V AirSafe hitch. But the hitch works exactly as advertised.

So many options. So many opinions. So many decisions.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:08 PM   #16
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Or you could......

Follow the maunfactures directions. Its just possible they know what they are doing.

Old 10-30-2007, 03:20 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari SS SE
Southern , New Jersey
Thanks so much for all the information. It is quite a lot to digest.

I was advised (from several sources) that a 1 ton is very stiff for an AS and could damage it, therefore the 550 lb bars were recommended.

So you are saying that a HAHA will also correct the problem of a 'stiff' or hard ride????

I have not heard of the AirSafe Hitch, I will look into that as soon as my head stops spinning

Diane
Old 10-30-2007, 03:34 PM   #18
_

. , .
Quote:
...So you are saying that a HAHA will also correct the problem of a 'stiff' or hard ride????
no.

i'm suggesting that with 1000 lb bars on the haha they can be tightened as little as need to balance the tow vehicle and redistribute tongue mass...

THAT should be your primary concern,

not that a/s may be using such a flimsy frame on heavy new trailers, which may not support the real tongue mass...

the issue of 1 ton tow vehicle is completely UNRELATED to safe towing hitch selections....

the 1 ton van is gonna be FANTASTIC as a tow vehicle, you are gonna LOVE IT!

and the 1 ton issue will be the same REGARDLESS which hitch is choosen ( except for the air-safe)

there are safe mods that can be done TO the van IF they are needed later on...

look it really is ALL already posted so keep reading....

besides, your trailer isn't gonna explode or fall apart for a few years....

how long is that finance plan?

cheers
2air'

Old 10-30-2007, 03:35 PM   #19
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
If it were I, I would look at a standard weight distribution hitch with recommended bars. As 2Air mentioned, you can tweak away after towing for a while and seeing how the rig performs. It might be that your 1 ton won't beat up the trailer to bad. I would find out before spending thousands of dollars to fix a problem that may not be there.

I will be watching for much the same thing on my F250 in the coming year. If it rides to rough there are some things like tweaking leaf springs, after market shock dampeners (my term), and the airhitch which I might then try.