Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-20-2009, 12:55 PM   #1

2011 27 FB International
Muskegon , Michigan
Yukon Denali AWD

I have not seen this vehicle discussed in much detail, after searching.
I am trying to decide Denali or Burb 2500.

I know the 2500 is the choice for most here.
Even though this is a 1/2 ton it is quite a different vehicle than
an 1/2 ton Burb. - 403HP and AWD
More torque than the 2500.

I just really like the ride (unloaded), AWD, and looks.

Planning on towing a 28 CCD.

It seems it has plenty of power 403HP vs 366 for the 2500.

Am I correct in thinking this would be in between the 1/2 and 3/4 ton given the HP and Torque ratings?

Thanks
1414lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:22 PM   #2
_

. , .
hi lake, welcome

3 D threads...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...c-so-8871.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...ali-20953.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...-tv-32509.html

and 60 more with references to the D...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/sear...archid=1609023

so sort out the numbers and read some, from the users AND switchers.

the concern with the 1/2 ton (or any suv/big trayla combo) is...

PAYLOAD (gvwr-curbweight+options)=the LOAD that can be placed ON/in the den/burb.

hp/torque are fine (even less would be ok IF u don't mind climbing slowly) but TOWING options/bits are important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1414lake View Post

Couple questions:

-Will the air ride system work well with an equalizing hitch?
-Will the AWD be a good thing or bad for towing?

Thanks
-yes (but there are threads that contradict this, based on ancient notions and gear)
-yes (and it's full time AWD not 4x4, a good distinction )

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 01:34 PM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

As far as the half ton Denali goes, there are several issues to consider. You didn't say if your Denali is the Yukon size or the Yukon XL size. The longer wheel base is an advantage when towing a heavy trailer. Does the Denali have a transmission fluid cooler? This is a big plus when towing heavy. Also check the Denali's tires to make sure that they are LT's with load range D or E. If they are load range C's, you should probably replace them before pulling a trailer that heavy.

We have a 2005 Safari 25FB, named Lucy. Lucy weighs 7400# ready to travel. We have pulled her over 50,000 miles and have spent over 500 nights in her in the past 3 1/2 years. We pull Lucy with a Suburban 2500 that does have Auto Ride (self leveling) and have not had any problems using a Hensley hitch system. There are some members here that feel that the Auto Ride is not conducive to trailering, but it seems to work well for us. I don't believe that the AWD should cause any problems when towing.

We have pulled Lucy with our 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe 1/2 ton. It did OK, but the 3/4 Suburban does quite a bit better.

It sounds like you already have the Denali and should give it a try and see if you are satisfied with the towing experience.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:46 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
scappoose , Oregon
Welcome to the Airstream forum. Just about any question you may have can be answered by many members, who have long experence with anything connected with Airstreams.
rangebowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:14 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

North Woods , Illinois
Moosetags - sent PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

As far as the half ton Denali goes, there are several issues to consider. You didn't say if your Denali is the Yukon size or the Yukon XL size. The longer wheel base is an advantage when towing a heavy trailer. Does the Denali have a transmission fluid cooler? This is a big plus when towing heavy. Also check the Denali's tires to make sure that they are LT's with load range D or E. If they are load range C's, you should probably replace them before pulling a trailer that heavy.

We have a 2005 Safari 25FB, named Lucy. Lucy weighs 7400# ready to travel. We have pulled her over 50,000 miles and have spent over 500 nights in her in the past 3 1/2 years. We pull Lucy with a Suburban 2500 that does have Auto Ride (self leveling) and have not had any problems using a Hensley hitch system. There are some members here that feel that the Auto Ride is not conducive to trailering, but it seems to work well for us. I don't believe that the AWD should cause any problems when towing.

We have pulled Lucy with our 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe 1/2 ton. It did OK, but the 3/4 Suburban does quite a bit better.

It sounds like you already have the Denali and should give it a try and see if you are satisfied with the towing experience.

Brian
laynlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:11 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
YYC , Alberta
We have an 2007 Denali XL AWD.

Got a 27' 1979 Argosy with a 4100lb dry weight and 6200 GVWR, so no problem to tow. Obviosuly the Denali has upgraded tranny cooler and hitch/electrical connector etc...also has tow/haul mode. 6 sp transmission helps too. Also, load levelling Air Ride suspension which was in full affect when we hooked it up last night the first time.

Can report back, just started towing. Tow/Haul Mode is meant to keep the truck from searching for gears...in my limited experience so far, seems to keep RPM's up as if its geared down...also notice engine braking-type feeling when slowing down.

One thing I didn't anticipate when we picked it up was the hitch height...luckily the previous owners had a couple hitches, the one they used, plus one they were using on their TV that had an adjustable drop...we needed a fairly large drop.

Also thankfully he had the bars to go with the newer hitch, so we were able to hitch up and go when we got the adjustable hitch on.
lbrownah is offline   Reply With Quote