Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2008, 11:18 PM   #1

montrose , California
yet another 4 runner question

Similar question as Scotty O. I have a 2004 4 runner 4x4 v 8 with tow pkg. and xreas shocks. i would like to tow a 25 safari fb se would this work. if needed i would add a hensley arrow. 3 differant dealers said the tow ratings are fine. is there a complete or single correct answear?
artfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 12:38 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Minneapolis , Minnesota
Hello artfull!

I own a 2007 4 Runner with a V6... I know the V8 has around 30 more hp and a bit more torque, and in the owner's manual your vehicle is rated for for around 6000#s max, but there is no way I would tow the Safari you are considering with a V8 4 Runner (on a regular basis anyway).

Several years ago I bought an Airstream with a similar dry weight to the one you are considering. Two different "dealers" said the tow vehicle I had at the time would be "OK". And indeed my V8 Grand Cherokee did manage to tow the load on flat land, but the trailer was always boss, even with an Equalizer sway control hitch. In the end, I sold the trailer.

When the trailer you are considering is loaded (with two full prop bottles, freshwater and camp gear) will likely be very near or exceed your max 600# tongue weight (expect 12-15% of the trailer's loaded weight). If you add a sway control/weight distribution hitch, you may get rid of some of the sag in your rear end, but the redistributed tongue weight, when combined with the weight of you, your passengers, and any gear you may have in the vehicle, will likely be very close to or exceed your 4 Runner's max load of aprx 1050#s.

Sorry, but I really think the 4 Runner isn't enough vehicle to tow the Safari.
kmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:24 PM   #3
ProPride Industries, Inc.
Commercial Member

Holly , MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by artfull View Post
Similar question as Scotty O. I have a 2004 4 runner 4x4 v 8 with tow pkg. and xreas shocks. i would like to tow a 25 safari fb se would this work. if needed i would add a hensley arrow. 3 differant dealers said the tow ratings are fine. is there a complete or single correct answear?
What is the weight of the 25 Safari FB?

The wheel base being short can easily be taken care of with a pivot point projection hitch but the power needs to be there to pull it.
Tu ne cede malis
Sean Woodruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:32 PM   #4
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
25' FB SE is 5210-lbs (720-lb tongue)

No options, no fluids, no load.

GVWR appears to be 7,300-lbs.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:56 AM   #5

2007 20' Safari
Wallingford , Vermont
Quote:
Artfull, we are in the same position. Have a v-8 4 runner and want to move from 20 ft safari to the 25 ft FB. Have you found any other responses? I've been more concerned about the wheelbase length than the weight. What are your current thoughts
paulaandjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:44 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Post #13 on the link below pretty much sums it up folks. I guess if there is no alternative there are probably upgrades, tweaking, etc that could be used to make one work??

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...ion-42259.html
Old 07-07-2008, 01:50 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Bad 4Runner Experience

Quote:
I've owned several Toyotas for 15 or more years and love them- and still have a RAV. However, I had two very close calls (out of control) with my 2004 4Runner (V8) and my 72 Overlander (28'). Although the tow capacity might appear ok on paper, and there's plenty of pull-power, my experience was that the over-all weight ratio of tow vehicle to trailer was not adequate, and as I learned here from others, the wheel-base ratios of the two were not within any safety margin.

I've switched to a full-size (1994) Suburban and have had NO similar problems, or even a hint of such. The towing experience is completly different, and it was clear to me within a few minutes the handling was considerably better. I would not again use a 4Runner for my application.
AirConditioner is offline   Reply With Quote