Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2016, 09:14 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Magnolia , Texas
Yes or no

We are looking at a 1974 31' Land Yacht Sovereign with a center bath. We have a 1500 Chevy with a towing button. Can it pull it? Someone told us we needed a Ford 250 that has been bullet proofed.
Mommax3boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:08 PM   #2
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommax3boys View Post
We are looking at a 1974 31' Land Yacht Sovereign with a center bath. We have a 1500 Chevy with a towing button. Can it pull it? Someone told us we needed a Ford 250 that has been bullet proofed.
Military grade Ford? Sorry, no such thing as a bulletproof Ford.

As there are many different towing, axle, spring and engine size packages for trucks these days and you wern't specific on what year and trim of your truck (4x4 or 2x4, engine size?). In order to better serve you we would need the GVCR number from your truck.

Look at your GCWR sticker to find your Gross Combined Weight Rating for your truck, (the sticker should be on the drivers door). Weigh truck with payload and all passengers, weigh trailer with all payload; add both together and that's your total combined weight.

I'm taking a wild guess that your combined will be at the very top, or exceed your trucks rating. That being said, equipped with a good manufacturers towing package and a very well set up weight distribution hitch you may find she tows just fine.

If you want the best person to answer this question I would contact Andrew at Can-Am Rv in London Ontario Canada. Have all the info possible on your truck; GCWR, engine, 4x2 or 4x4, rear axle ratio (your build sticker would have what type of axle installed).

Give him a call.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:12 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Depends on the 1500 year and engine model. Your owners manual should have a table in it that lets you figure it out. The trailer will have a plate giving its max weight, will be a combination of the axle rating and tongue weight, about 8000lbs max. It'll be about 5000lbs empty.
Needs a real hitch not a ball on the bumper.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:12 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Good advice from Tony... If the 1500 Chebby meets or exceeds the trailer specs (including any mods you make which may change CG, tongue weight or trailer weight.. Will probably be OK... But please, keep both in good mechanical order and be careful.

Have you towed before?

You have electric brake actuator?

Trailer brake condition?

Receiver hitch on truck?
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:16 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
If anyone told me I needed to buy a Ford I would immediately quit listening to them.
SpletKay06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 04:52 AM   #6
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Sorry I was tired and typing too fast with two fingers. Imeant to type GCWR not GVCR which I can only have meant to be Gross Vehicle Combined Rating close but not quite.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Old 08-13-2016, 06:40 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpletKay06 View Post
If anyone told me I needed to buy a Ford I would immediately quit listening to them.
If anybody told me I had to buy a specific brand of anything, I would quit listening to them.

Depending on engine size, axle ratio, and optional equipment, most half ton trucks with a v8 could safely tow the 6800 pound gvw Sovereign.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:20 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Magnolia , Texas
The Bulletproofed Fords are a special after market suspension, that only goes on diesel Fords 250 & up. So, its not "bulletproof" like military vehicles. But, the truck is a 2011, 1500 5.7L. The door panels says 5000lbs. On airstream.com it says the trailer weighs 4800ish. I just want to know if it would be possible to pull it for about 7 hrs, just to get it home until we can find a better truck to pull it with. Its close to the limit.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:52 AM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
If you are just towing it home, empty, you probably could get away with it. It would depend some on your experience and the terrain. I'm guessing that you won't have any mountains to deal with, but are there some steep hills that you will either have to climb or descend? As I recall, most Texas highways are pretty wide, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Be sure to get a good hitch system that includes both weight distribution and sway control.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 07:57 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
It is quickly becoming apparent that many RVers replace a fully adequate truck with an overbuilt truck rather than do a proper hitch setup on the good truck they already had. Then they confidently drive their new monster truck with a poorly adjusted hitch with compromised steering and brakes.

There is sufficient safety cushion built into the numbers given on your truck and trailer. If your trailer numbers don’t exceed your truck numbers, you are just fine with what you have. If your truck’s limit is 5,000 lbs, and your trailer is less than 4,999 lbs, you should have no worries. But a badly adjusted hitch on any truck is unsafe.

We are running our truck at about 90% of its towing capacity. Following the suggestions of those who sorta knew how to hitch up the trailer, we thought we were doing okay, but felt a unsure. Taking on a little more advice we adjusted the spring bars a little, and had significant improvement. Finally I went the experts, and readjusted the hitch from the ground up. Wow, what a difference!!! The truck now tows confidently and serenely.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:59 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Magnolia , Texas
Thank you, yes it's pretty flat. We are close to Houston and the only area not flat is Oklahoma and North Texas. We have towed boats, other campers, and a 1940 Ford sedan so, being comfortable towing isn't a problem. We just don't want to ruin the truck, or do anything dangerous.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:59 AM   #12
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
The number one thing you should check on the trailer is the brakes and axles before towing home. A huge trailer with good working brakes is a hundred times better than a small trailer with no brakes at all.

Take it easy, anticipate traffic, accelerate before the hill, decelerate or gear down before the decent and give yourselves lots of space; you should be fine.

Welcome to the insanity that is Airstreams.

Cheers
Tony

Old 08-13-2016, 09:54 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Quote:
The Bulletproofed Fords are a special after market suspension, that only goes on diesel Fords 250 & up. So, its not "bulletproof" like military vehicles. But, the truck is a 2011, 1500 5.7L. The door panels says 5000lbs. On airstream.com it says the trailer weighs 4800ish. I just want to know if it would be possible to pull it for about 7 hrs, just to get it home until we can find a better truck to pull it with. Its close to the limit.
As long as it's not on the bumper and on a regular hitch, and as long as the trailer brakes work, you should be fine just for the trip getting it home. If it comes with a weight distributing hitch use it. Give yourself plenty of braking distance. Take it slow and don't rush it. If you can arrange a chase vehicle to keep an eye on thinks it'll give some more peace of mind. Pay attention to the age of the tires, check pressure before leaving.
I pulled my 31 home with the smallest most basic Dodge Ram. No trailer brakes, up and down some very big hills. Plenty of room and manually shifting the engine to control speed and it worked out ok. Definitely wasn't a super comfortable tow, but like you I just needed to get it home.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:23 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
It's not close to the limit at all. The trailer you're buying weighs around 5000lbs empty, with a tongue weight of less than 500lbs. You can look up the weight here: https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...me-Weights.pdf

Your vehicle will be more than adequate to tow a light old trailer like this. Make sure that your brakes work, and that your vehicle has a working brake controller. Also, make sure that your weight distribution works, it would not tow that trailer on the ball.

The one thing you do not need is a huge 250 truck - it would be total overkill.
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:19 PM   #15
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
[QUOTE=andreasduess;1835346

The one thing you do not need is a huge 250 truck - it would be total overkill.[/QUOTE]

wait for the 3/4 ton crowd to pipe up.

If we just walk away quietly...........

Cheers
Tony

Old 08-14-2016, 08:22 PM   #16

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sparks , Nevada
What about us F350 folks?

2015 F350 CC 4X4 6.7 Diesel
2010 27FB Silver Cloud "The Silver Spoon"
sheriff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 09:00 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
To be fair, there are some 1/2 ton pickups that can barely pull their own shadow. You can buy a brand new F-150 with a 5K lb tow capacity. 20' Flying Cloud will max that out in a hurry. If all you've ever known was entry level pickups, you'd think you'd need to go up to a 3/4 ton or 1 ton to get some towing muscle.

But Ford also has F-150 that pulls over 10K lbs. Has Airstream ever made a trailer with GVWR >10K lbs?

You can work hard, or you can work smart. For some of us, working hard is easier.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:08 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
The trailer will weigh about 5K dry.

In my view just about any 1/2 ton truck with a V8 will pull that trailer.

Gradiens super tenui glacie.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:37 PM   #19
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
I wouldn't run out and buy a new truck. Your current truck can probably do just fine. Once you get your trailer and see what your total on-the-road load looks like, you might still be OK, you might not. But I would plan on at least reevaluating down the road.

Quote:

PaulnGina
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke

Not "lucky"....... BLESSED!!!!!!
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote