Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2015, 11:21 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Yellow door sticker - right or wrong?

I am considering a new 2015 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn Crew 6'4" box truck.

The Ram brochure says the Payload Capacity is 2360 pounds maximum for this model. Of course this number is a maximum and the manufacturer must deduct the weight of options/accessories beyond the base from that. The final number is specified with the documentation for the specific vehicle.

The VIN specific printout for customer turnover shows a capacity of 2270 pounds for this specific truck. The sales folks are supposed to cover this with the buyer during turnover.

The "Tire Inflation and Loading" placard (yellow sticker) on the inside of the driver door of this truck shows 1990 pounds.

So, why the difference between documentation with the VIN and the "yellow sticker"? Is there someone here that knows the background and why this occurs? This is a common issue and I have yet to find a sales person that knows anything about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	door sticker.jpeg
Views:	2459
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	245259   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ram Laramie turnover printout.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	245260  

Air #64439
Southeastern Camping Unit WBCCI #5033
Alphonse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:36 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
Can't answer question, but know for a fact sales folks won't know. I was payload sticker hunting a few weeks ago and sales folks didn't even know there was a sticker in driver door jamb. When trying to find out why Tundra payload was so low compared to Toyota brochure, two sales person and a manager were baffled, they called Toyota and called me back, and still didn't have the answer. I finally found that door stickers are always lower than Max possible payloads advertised, based on trim, options, and such. But no idea about VIN documents.

Dan

"The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask."

- Nancy Newhall
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 11:36 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I just purchased a 2015 RAM 2500 Big Horn Crew 6'4". My label show 2089lbs of payload. The Tradesman we were considering was about 200lbs more. The 20" tires of my Ram are each 5lbs heavier than the 275/70x18 tires on the Tradesman. Maybe the rims are heavier, extra sound deadening, center console, adjustable drivers pedals, electric driver's set adjustment, etc.

Like my credit card. $20 here, $30 there and by the end of the month I have to pay $400. It all adds up.

An equally equipped Silverado Duramax LT had a little more payload than my Big Horn I think about 2300 lbs

F250 6.7L Lariats have under 2000lbs

"Bling" is heavy.

Maybe consider the Ram 3500 if payload is crucial.

Kelvin
Old 08-11-2015, 12:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Every truck is ordered with different options.Each option takes a piece of the payload capacity.The print out listing is before options added
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:38 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
Every truck is ordered with different options.Each option takes a piece of the payload capacity.The print out listing is before options added
Repeat:
Factory spec 2360# max
VIN specific turnover doc. 2270#
Tire and Loading sticker 1990 #

Understand options and weight deducts. I would assume that's the 2360 - 2270 since the VIN Data Sheet is what's presented and reviewed with the customer as fact as required by the manufacturer.

I'll assume the manufacturer is being honest, although recent events with fines and court action might make one question my assumption.

So back to my original question! (post #1)

Air #64439
Old 08-11-2015, 01:54 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Castle Rock , Colorado
Maybe the tire and loading sticker deducts for passengers.

150 lbs x 2 = 300

2270 - 300 = 1970
kmlacroix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:55 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
Al,

My 2014 Laramie CTD 4x4 crew short bed lists 2274 on the VIN report. I recall the door sticker said something like 2050. I never figured out why there was a difference either. If it bugs you, call Customer Care and ask.

It's just a guess, but the VIN report might be for a Base Laramie and the door number might account for additional options (side steps, bed liner, 20" wheels, etc) above the base trim level.

Keith

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Southeastern Camping Unit, WBCCI #1675
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:03 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
If you got 4x4, heavier motor, etc that will detract from payload. I read the asterisk by the VIN data sheet payload, makes me wonder at what stage in that particular vehicles assembly the VIN data sheet was generated.

Out of curiousity, is this a vehicle you ordered? I'm not familiar with the VIN sheet, but will be ordering my vehicle when time comes. Curious if they prent this VIN data sheet to you when vehicle arrives, or at an earlier point in the process.

Dan

"The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask."

- Nancy Newhall
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:11 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Sun City West , Arizona
If you go to Tire Rack and look at the your tires specs, you may find you have a P rated tire with a lower weight rating. I found the tires on my Ram were P and not Light Truck. I had to buy new tires for my Safari. I have heard negative things about the stock tires
So, I got E rated light truck tires.
BTW the 1500 ecodiesel tows great. 2007 Safari 25 FB . Got 18 mpg for first 800 mile tow. Boise ID to Las Vegas. Last 260 miles killed it with many 6 degree grades into the west side of Phoenix. Still had a overall of 16.1 mph. Much cheaper truck than the 2500/3500 I started to look at. I'm pretty happy. More money for traveling.
Truck tires are BFG Goodrich LT275/60R20 All Terrain K02.
New wheels on Safari Sendel 16" with Michelin LT 225/75 R16 LTX MS2.
If you don't have ST trailer tires you probably won't have flats. Nor the expense of fixing the damage to your Airstream.
Many on this forum have done exactly this.
dhoover1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:46 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I bought my truck used, so I didn't get the sheet you are talking about. I did download a build sheet, but it doesn't speak to the payload, neither does the window sticker I ordered. The only thing weight related is the GVWR which is 10,000#. Subtracting the curb weight from that should yield the weight available for passengers and cargo on the door sticker. Unfortunately my truck is in the shop right now so I can't check that.

What is the wording of the VIN report regarding the capacity? Is it a payload package? If so, then it may not consider all the options. I'm guessing that the sticker is printed on the line after weighing the truck and subtracting the curb weight from GVWR. Perhaps the software printing the report doesn't have access to that data and is based on just the major characteristics of the truck.

I did say I'm guessing.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:19 PM   #11
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphonse View Post
i am considering a new 2015 ram 2500 laramie longhorn crew 6'4" box truck.

The ram brochure says the payload capacity is 2360 pounds maximum for this model. Of course this number is a maximum and the manufacturer must deduct the weight of options/accessories beyond the base from that. The final number is specified with the documentation for the specific vehicle.

The vin specific printout for customer turnover shows a capacity of 2270 pounds for this specific truck. The sales folks are supposed to cover this with the buyer during turnover.

The "tire inflation and loading" placard (yellow sticker) on the inside of the driver door of this truck shows 1990 pounds.

so, why the difference between documentation with the vin and the "yellow sticker"? is there someone here that knows the background and why this occurs? This is a common issue and i have yet to find a sales person that knows anything about it.
DUDE, asterisk! The answer is clear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-08-11_17_18_21.png
Views:	525
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	245266  
Old 08-12-2015, 11:27 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Regardless, your truck will haul 700# more in the bed and pull a trailer 6,000# heavier than what my truck will-
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 06:15 AM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Vehicle Specs......

I recently learned about the "yellow" stickers that are now required by the powers that be. No such thing before I retired. It was a bit easier pre 2009, we just used the axle & tire ratings and actual weights.

Here is a handy site to spec out your vehicle.

Bob
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 08:36 AM   #14
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The world won't end if one goes over "rating". Just keep things under tire/wheel/axle limits. Those are what matter. Properly setting the WD hitch is more important, as is setting the brake controller, and TV tire pressure according to scale loads.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 09:46 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphonse View Post

The Ram brochure says the Payload Capacity is 2360 pounds maximum for this model. Of course this number is a maximum and the manufacturer must deduct the weight of options/accessories beyond the base from that. The final number is specified with the documentation for the specific vehicle.

The VIN specific printout for customer turnover shows a capacity of 2270 pounds for this specific truck. The sales folks are supposed to cover this with the buyer during turnover.

The "Tire Inflation and Loading" placard (yellow sticker) on the inside of the driver door of this truck shows 1990 pounds.

So, why the difference between documentation with the VIN and the "yellow sticker"? Is there someone here that knows the background and why this occurs? This is a common issue and I have yet to find a sales person that knows anything about it.
Beside the payload on the document there is an asterisk, *, indicating a note. At that note the second sentence says this payload number is decreased by added options. The actual payload is as shown on the door sticker.

When I bought the truck I have today I took it to the Cat Scale immediately from the dealership. I topped off the fuel tank at the gas pump at the truck stop where I weighed it, exactly as it came from the factory. I did not include myself in the weight. I was surprised to find that the door sticker was off by 60-70 lbs. Then I took it to a second scale about 5 miles away. The second weigh confirmed the first was correct.
The way I calculated this was (GVWR) - (actual weight) = (payload)
Old 08-13-2015, 10:09 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Marysville , Washington
The Tire and Load sticker is correct for THOSE TIRES at that published air pressure... The Title of the label explains the context of the label.

The Tire and Load sticker does not reflect the capabilities of the vehicle as published on the VIN specific placard.
Not Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:27 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
On my 2012 Ram 2500HD Cummins 4x4, I weighed it empty straight from the dealers lot after filling it up. That weight did NOT agree with the door sticker, but the scale number is what I started with. As each accessory was added, I crossed the scales and observed the increase in empty weight that decreased payload.

The sticker says the truck's GVW is 9,600 pounds, The front axle rating is 5,500 pounds and the rear axle rating is 6,010 pounds or 11,510 pounds together. The factory installed Michelin Load E tires are rated to carry the axle loads, plus some reserve. When crossing the scales with the truck and trailer loaded, I see the truck has 10,100 pounds on the axles and the trailer has around 9,100 pounds on it's axles for a total weight of 19,200 pounds which is less than the 20,000, pound limit for combined trailer and truck weight. Both axles are over 500 pounds below their load limit.

As we have gained experience, the weights are going down as we switched to a lighter battery system and are not taking as much stuff as we did initially - like one generator versus two since we have 800 watts of solar on the roof.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 01:15 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Done View Post
The Tire and Load sticker is correct for THOSE TIRES at that published air pressure... The Title of the label explains the context of the label.

The Tire and Load sticker does not reflect the capabilities of the vehicle as published on the VIN specific placard.
Sorry, but the tires are much more capable than the yellow sticker. Search for an load chart for tires that size and load rating and take a look.

Air #64439
Old 08-13-2015, 01:45 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2010 28' Flying Cloud
Lower Alabama , USA
So here's the official answer from Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphonse View Post

The "Tire Inflation and Loading" placard (yellow sticker) on the inside of the driver door of this truck shows 1990 pounds. (should have said 1980 in original post)

I contacted Ram Customer Service as Keith suggested. They didn't know much and the conversation was a bit comical. Finally, after some persistence on my part, the gent was kind enough to give me the contact information for some Ram folks who would be able to answer my question. Here is the answer that I received from Ram:

"The plant system that prints the label is not sophisticated enough to calculate the true weight of the vehicle on the fly, base weight plus any combination of options ordered. So, it adds an average Max Options weight to the base weight to get curb weight. In this case, with max options, this vehicles curb weight is 300 lbs higher. So, the payload is approx 300 lbs less at 1980 lbs. The label reads “Passenger and Cargo weight cannot exceed 1980 lbs.” So, it uses base weight plus a standard max options weight.

The VIN specific is the most accurate representation of payload which reads 2270 lbs

GVWR – Base Weight = Payload
Payload = Max Options + Passenger weight + cargo
Cargo = GVWR – Base Weight – Max Options – Passenger weight

For this truck the base weight is approx 7730 lbs. The GVWR is 10,000 so payload is 2270 lbs.
2270 payload = 300(Max Options approx.) + 750(5 pass x 150ea) + 1220 (cargo)

Bottom line, use the VIN specific vehicle capability numbers.
"

So bottom line, the terms cargo capacity and payload capacity have different definitions. The "yellow sticker" states "cargo capacity" but is a best guess.

As already pointed out by others, the real answer lies with the CAT scales. But meanwhile I now am no longer guessing as to how these specs are arrived at.

Air #64439
Old 08-13-2015, 02:32 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' Flying Cloud
Oviedo , Florida
Cool - guess I had it exactly backwards😀 glad to see I just have 200# more payload🍸

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Southeastern Camping Unit, WBCCI #1675
khollister is offline   Reply With Quote