Old 08-21-2016, 07:32 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
We pulled our 34 foot Limited with a 01 Ford E-350 for years. It made a nice tow vehicle. Ours had the trailer tow package with transmission cooler. The V-10 is smooth and powerful. Ours had a 4 speed automatic. The transmission would shift to 3 on "ordinary" hills and down to 2 on the steeper stuff. We towed at about 62 mph. I would recommend an aftermarket tachometer for it. You need it to judge engine braking speed going down hills. But I never added a tach to ours. Ours had E load range tires and I would highly recommend these truck tires, not a passenger tire.

The V-10 liked to fail ignition coils from time to time. I think we replaced 5 or 6 of them through the years. A rough idle and missing on wet mornings is a clue. Our van was a "one wheel drive" wonder, or rear drive with an open differential. This can give problems when pulling out on wet grass, up hills on gravel roads, and the like. There was one time on a steep hill where we had a red traffic light. When the light turned green, the van spun its rear tire. I couldn't get going. I had to drop the spring bars to add enough weight to pull up the hill. A bad experience. And I would get stuck with it every winter. I like 4WD a lot better. This is the main reason we traded for the F-350.

We averaged about 10 mpg towing, and about 14 in town.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0809 Pine Grove.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	269726  

dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:31 PM   #16
2010 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
On the Road Full Time , Utah
We tow our 30 foot fc with a 7.3L e350 4x4. Love it.

2010 Flying Cloud 30
Wanted: 2006-2009 25ss International (corner bed) - PM me if you'd be willing to sell
Follow our journey living and working from the road full-time:
explore more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 10:39 PM   #17

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
Our van was a "one wheel drive" wonder, or rear drive with an open differential. This can give problems when pulling out on wet grass, up hills on gravel roads, and the like.
We had to deal with this as well. We got stuck with the one wheel in the mud off the side of the pad in a campground, and got stuck trying to pull the trailer in and out of it's spot behind the house on the wet grass. That 'one wheel drive' is a pain in the rear. We are SO much happier with our AWD Flex in that respect.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote