Old 02-19-2009, 03:40 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Mike.. This chart may give you an idea what kind of performance you can expect towing the 3,500lbs. The Escape is not a barn burner but close to some of the V8's towing at their limits.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:55 PM   #16
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnSafari View Post
Ok. Bought a 17' Sport. Our Ford Escape we discovered tonight after talking with the Ford dealership has a 4,500 GVWR. Now, everywhere I've read had said it was 3,500. So I look on the door sticker and sure enought it says 4,500. So I call the dealership and they said that the correct # is 4,500 and that the published GVWR is 3,500 after taking into account passengers, gas, load, etc.

It says it has a max tow capacity of 3,500 lbs. (trailer load). So that makes me feel alot better as first I thought it was 3,500 - passengers, gas, load ,etc.

Now the next issue is we bought the Equalizer system and found out our existing Class II hitch receiver isn't big enough for the EQ system. So hopefully not a bid deal to break off the Class II and add a new Class III. Geeesh !

Thanks, all.
You won't get any speed awards but make sure you trailer brakes are always in good condition. The Escape alone will have a very difficult time stopping the TV and the trailer.
http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2007_Ford_Escape.htm
those 1 1/4 to 2" adapters are asking for an accident.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:39 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
We just dropped off our TAB and Ford Escape at the Airstream dealer. They will be putting on the class III hitch today for pickup of our new Safari Sport 17' tomorrow!

Thanks everyone for all the input, advice and moral support. We sincerely appreciate it.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:45 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Mohrsville , Pennsylvania
Mike and Tricia,
Glad to hear of your positive outcome. You are leanring a lot of valuable lessons. Please enjoy your new coach and most of all, be careful out there.
TAC PA-3
S/OS#042
AIR #14487
NQ3U (was KB3UOM)
DEITZ645 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:08 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
That's great Mike. Assuming they get it all set up right you will really enjoy towing the bullet.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:41 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1949 18' Trailwind
Huntsville , Alabama
we towed our vintage airstream (which is much lighter than your coach) across the US with a 06 escape. it had it's drawbacks at times but kept us at a nice leisurely pace. everytime i pull that airstream or any trailer for that matter, i remind myself again and again..."you are pulling a trailer...you are pulling a trailer." most people get caught up in the technical side of things (which is a good) and forget the most basic things. that's all. go camp and have some fun!!!
Benjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:29 PM   #21
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Don't know about you, but when I look at tow vehicles, 0 to 60 while towing is one of the top 3 things on my list of important items and gauges of how well it'll tow.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:45 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Our Escape worked great !

Ok. To put an end to this thread, we've successfully returned from our first night of camping at Pio Pico, Thousand Trails in San Diego. We had a 100 mile trip both ways and our 2007 Ford Escape did a grand job pulling our Sport 17'.

The dealer ended up mounting the Class III hitch underneath the Class II hitch. We lowered the trailer onto the hitch without the Equalizer and it did lower the back end considerably. We raised it back up, added the EQ, lowered it and this time the back end stayed more or less where it should have stayed.

We cruised at 55-60 the entire way and it pulled it very smoothly, nearly the same feeling as when we were pulling our T@B.

Here are photos of our setup:

Old 02-23-2009, 07:39 AM   #23
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'd be interested in seeing the rig with the hitch jack fully retracted while it is connected to see what the lean may look like if possible. From the current pics, the unit appears hitched, but seems to have the hitch jack extended.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 02-23-2009, 08:40 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
I'd be interested in seeing the rig with the hitch jack fully retracted while it is connected to see what the lean may look like if possible. From the current pics, the unit appears hitched, but seems to have the hitch jack extended.
Here ya go

Old 02-23-2009, 08:50 AM   #25
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
That is a very level connection. I had thought there may be a bit of a slant, but it's perfect. Nice!

I have to say that little Airstream is really cute!
Old 02-23-2009, 08:55 AM   #26
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
One suggestion would be to get mudflaps for the Escape. I don't see rock guards on the Sport unit and a good set of mudflaps for the Escape will help save the front from being dented from projectiles coming off the rear tires.

I took the OEM mudflaps I bought separately and added some length to them. Also I have an enkay hitch mudflaps too. The enkay alone still might let some blow by happen, but between both, it's pretty great protection.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:57 AM   #27

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
It looks like a great set up. Get out there and start using it. We hope to see you down the road.

Safe travels, Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:20 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
One suggestion would be to get mudflaps for the Escape. I don't see rock guards on the Sport unit and a good set of mudflaps for the Escape will help save the front from being dented from projectiles coming off the rear tires.

I took the OEM mudflaps I bought separately and added some length to them. Also I have an enkay hitch mudflaps too. The enkay alone still might let some blow by happen, but between both, it's pretty great protection.
Yep, already thought of that. The Airstream does, however, have a layer of rock guard protection. Something you can't see in the photos as it's a transparent barrior of some sort. Can't remember what they said it was, right off hand, but it's there. We will more than likely still add some mudflaps, though