Old 10-26-2007, 11:55 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Will my 04 Dodge 2500 tow my new to me Argosy?

I have a 04 Dodge 2500 w/tow pkge and the guy at the RV dealership where I am picking up the Argosy said I should have no trouble towing the 24 Argosy with the standard ball and hitch. I have to tow it 750 miles to get back home and I want to make it home w/o incident. I don't now have the money for the Hensly or anything in that price range. Y'all think I'll be okay? Thanks.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 12:05 PM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmossyone
I have a 04 Dodge 2500 w/tow pkge and the guy at the RV dealership where I am picking up the Argosy said I should have no trouble towing the 24 Argosy with the standard ball and hitch. I have to tow it 750 miles to get back home and I want to make it home w/o incident. I don't now have the money for the Hensly or anything in that price range. Y'all think I'll be okay? Thanks.
You have plenty of truck there. You do NEED to install a weight distribution hitch with sway control. I don't know the pricing for that off hand, but its nowhere near the price of a Hensley.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 12:07 PM   #3
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
You will need a brake controller installed in your truck as well.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 12:34 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Portage , Michigan
If it were me I would not have any problem towing the 24' home with a 3/4 ton truck without a w/d hitch. I doubt the back end of that truck will drop very much once hooked to the trailer. A brake controller is a good idea, but again can be left off for the first trip home. Just pay attention to the traffic so you can avoid any panic braking. In the long run get a w/d hitch, what ever one you chose will work, if it didn't it would not be on the market. Either get a separate sway control system or one that's built in to the w/d hitch. I went with the Equal-i-zer because it can be used on my enclosed snowmobile trailer that has a straight tongue rather than a typical V tongue. Do not forget the brake controller, again they all work.

Have fun - Derek
Old 10-26-2007, 12:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Level

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmossyone
Hi mrmossyone, The minimum I would tow with that combo is an anti-sway bar. A weight distribution hitch would be great. Towing your trailer level is also very important. Please keep in mind this is a personal opinion.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:22 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Get an equalizer for $399 from RV wholesalers and you're all set
WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 02:06 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
I made it back with the regular ole ball and chains. I had no problems, the trailor towed just fine without w/d bars or anti sway. I can see myself investing in the anti sway at some time in the future, maybe the equalizer. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Heinlein
Old 11-01-2007, 02:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Welcome to the forum.

Where is Collierville, Tenn. ?
Old 11-01-2007, 08:26 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
RV Guy speaks with forked tongue

Note RV Guy said you SHOULD have no problem not you WOULD have no problem. You should have no problem until you have a problem, then you have a problem. Acutuarily speaking the odds are you will have an OK tow. But without the extra safety equipment a minor problem could take on catastphic proportions. If you are a gambler go slow and easy. IMHO if you can't get the whole tow package the most important component is having the trailer brakes working.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:43 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
naked in Tempe

I've put 5,000 miles on our 24' Argosy with the 3/4 Dodge. I''ve been in high winds between Tempe and Tucson, mountain roads in Colorado and high speeds on the Interstates. I won't relate my cruising speeds here to avoid rankling the more conservative folks. I have a buddy who tows a 24 Argosy with a half ton. He definately benefits from the weight distribution. I don't need it. The Hemi is level and the camper is level. I prefer the rig without sway and weight distribution.
Trailer brakes are a really good idea. The rig stops okay without them but you risk ruining the disc rotors on the TV and premature wearing out of the pads.
one man's opinion

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 09:13 AM   #11
Rivet Master

You asked for advice, all I know is what I know.

I read everything I could find on towing, and asked everyone I knew
about everything I could think of, before I towed.
About weight distribution, I drove one time without it and will avoid driving without it if possible. My rig was bobbing upand down like crazy everytime I went over a seam in the highway. Not fun!
Read about brakes and jack knifing and you'll understand why you want a brake controller. Aside from safety and or emergency situations, without a controller your trailer brakes will most likely lock up. Not fun!
About tires, are they good ? No, not do they look good. Are they good?
Blow outs are ....Not fun!
Take it easy with the speed the braking, and avoid quick lane changes.
I believe towing requires more concentration than just driving. So maybe split up your trip. Maybe stay in a Wallmart and get to know your new camper.
Oh by the way.....HAVE FUN
Old 11-03-2007, 02:03 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
I did have a brake controller installed before I left MI. with the Argosy and the tires are good. I had a Prodigy controller installed. I don't really know if weight distribution would help me any as my truck and trailor are level and there was almost nonexistent sway ( even while traveling through high cross wind farm country and over some very bumpy high construction interstates).

I did notice a lot more brake dust on my front wheels than I have noticed before and wondered if this is normal when towing a heavy load( it was a fairly long trip 1500 miles there and back). Thanks for all the advice and well wishes.

Heinlein
Old 11-03-2007, 02:07 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfoot321
Welcome to the forum.

Where is Collierville, Tenn. ?
About 25 miles east of Memphis city limits. I try my best not to go past those twenty five miles.

Heinlein
Old 11-03-2007, 06:35 AM   #14
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I towed home just on the ball my first time and thought it was fine... I did not know any better. Then I got weight distribution and someone turned on the lights. Then I got a brake controller and someone turned on the flood lights. I bought the draw tite system for about $460 installed (improperly, do it yourself if you want it done right or go to your local RV Dealer not a trailer supply type company). The trailer brakes help stop the rig very well, better than just the truck alone. One last thing... my truck is a Dodge 1500 a.k.a. one half ton... no problem as all the SOB's can attest to as I blow past them.

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote