Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2009, 06:02 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Will I be safe?

I have a 1966 Tradewind that has to move now...

The County came up to the ranch and tagged my trailer that it has to be moved by tomorrow. Since this will be a sudden move for my trailer back home and my tow vehicle is out of commission, a friend with a big truck is going to tow it for me. They do not have the hook up for the weight stabilizers that I use and will only be hooking up straight to my ball and hitch and safety chain. This person does have experience pulling trailers.

We have to go about 10 miles, though with some very steep up and down hills in about 2-3 of them and speed bumps along the way.

We will be safe? Any suggestions?
cclarkego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:09 PM   #2
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
I don't understand how the .gov can tell you to remove your trailer from your property.. but..

If he has the proper size ball, and they go easy, if your trailer is otherwise safe to tow, it should be fine.

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

1979 Sovereign International
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:25 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
Sounds like the TV is BIG. In that case, you will have no trouble. The leveler and stabilizers were to compensate for undersized TV's.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
The owner of this ranch let me keep my trailer up there and I was allowed to come and stay whenever I wanted while I paint my landscape art. Apparently an ex-ranch laborer (who is loosely tied to the main owner by marriage) showed up at the ranch recently to "go fishing" and was told by one of the owners that he needed to ask permission to enter the ranch. He replied with, "How come SHE gets to come and stay in her trailer whenever she wants?"

Anyway, next thing you know the County agent shows up to inspect the property after receiving a report that "someone was living in their trailer up there." Even after they told him that I just came up to paint once in awhile, he saw a hose connected from my trailer to a faucet and called it "a living condition." Tagged the trailer that I had to be out by Aug 1.

I don't know the County rules, but since I have been a guest of the owner for the last year, I surely don't want to cause him any troubles. I know he and the County have knocked heads over the years about public access to his property, so they were probably itching for a reason to tangle with him again.

It was an incredible year in the most fabulous place, I will miss it dearly, but time to move on. At least I still have access to drive up anytime with the dogs and to paint, just not with my trailer....

Carol
Old 07-30-2009, 06:50 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1962 24' Tradewind
Vincennes , Indiana
Are you going to try and find a "bear-less" spot to put your AS now?

Godspeed,
Trent
TV4: 2005 Dodge 3500, 478,000 miles, 4spd auto
"Too much of what I once knew I now know not" Me
blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:29 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
Got to love california. Good luck with your next as adventure. hope it is as entertaining as this place has been.
Gypsy Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 08:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
Our 65 28" was towed without stabilizer bars up through the mountains. No problems. Just take it slow and easy
Old 07-31-2009, 02:19 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
1975 29' Ambassador
Greenfield , Massachusetts
I agree... you shouldn't have any problems. I towed my 66 24' tradewind about 100 miles with just a regular hitch and no brake controller when I 1st purchased it.

Good luck
msieber109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 06:37 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cclarkego View Post
The owner of this ranch let me keep my trailer up there and I was allowed to come and stay whenever I wanted while I paint my landscape art. Apparently an ex-ranch laborer (who is loosely tied to the main owner by marriage) showed up at the ranch recently to "go fishing" and was told by one of the owners that he needed to ask permission to enter the ranch. He replied with, "How come SHE gets to come and stay in her trailer whenever she wants?"

Anyway, next thing you know the County agent shows up to inspect the property after receiving a report that "someone was living in their trailer up there." Even after they told him that I just came up to paint once in awhile, he saw a hose connected from my trailer to a faucet and called it "a living condition." Tagged the trailer that I had to be out by Aug 1.

I don't know the County rules, but since I have been a guest of the owner for the last year, I surely don't want to cause him any troubles. I know he and the County have knocked heads over the years about public access to his property, so they were probably itching for a reason to tangle with him again.

It was an incredible year in the most fabulous place, I will miss it dearly, but time to move on. At least I still have access to drive up anytime with the dogs and to paint, just not with my trailer....

Carol
Gee.....and California is supposed to be so "broke". They paid for someone to come out and hassle you over your retreat.....sounds like a waste of taxpayers $$ to me.
Old 07-31-2009, 07:29 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I would look at the county rules. If you are on private land, with their permission, you are being asked to move why? It may be that if you relocate on that same land, without the full time hookup to water, you will be in compliance.
Old 07-31-2009, 10:20 AM   #11

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Since I don't see any reference to having trailer brakes, and I would think your AS weighs more than 1,500 lbs, I would say no it is not safe... My concern would be the steep inclines, especailly the decents with no trailer brakes. If the TV is big enough you may get away with it, but if something happens unexpectedly...

But even more important is that it appears to be illegal to tow a trailer in CA that weighs over 1,500 lbs. without brakes. Of course they don't come out and say that the brakes have to be functioning, but I doubt that argument would go far with the arresting officer.

Here's the CA DMV language....

Towing Your Trailer Safely
Trailer Brakes

In California, brakes are required on any trailer coach or camp trailer having a gross weight of 1500 lbs. or more. Usually the braking capacity on tow vehicles is good, however, it may not be good enough to safely stop the several hundred to several thousand additional pounds that your trailer weighs. Most conventional and fifth-wheel trailers have electric brakes, activated by a controller in the tow vehicle. The controller automatically coordinates the tow vehicle and trailer braking so the two systems work together when the brake pedal is applied.
The controller can also be helpful in stabilizing a trailer that sways because of bad road conditions. Manually applying the trailer brakes by using the hand lever on the controller will restabilize a trailer that is likely to sway.
Folding camping trailers and boat trailers are usually fitted with surge brake systems which operate separately from the tow vehicle's brakes. Surge brakes are applied by a mechanism attached to the receiver/ball connection. As the tow vehicle slows, the forward motion of the trailer compresses the mechanism which in turn applies the trailer brakes.
Motorcycle trailers do not need brakes unless the weight exceeds 1500 lbs. gross. If you install brakes on your motorcycle trailer, be sure the brakes do not brake harder than the motorcycle or the motorcycle may flip backwards over the trailer when the brakes are applied. The brakes must always be properly adjusted.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 10:58 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
I have a 1966 Tradewind that has to move now...

The County came up to the ranch and tagged my trailer that it has to be moved by tomorrow. Since this will be a sudden move for my trailer back home and my tow vehicle is out of commission, a friend with a big truck is going to tow it for me. They do not have the hook up for the weight stabilizers that I use and will only be hooking up straight to my ball and hitch and safety chain. This person does have experience pulling trailers.

We have to go about 10 miles, though with some very steep up and down hills in about 2-3 of them and speed bumps along the way.

We will be safe? Any suggestions?
So this is what it's like to live in the People's Republic of California!

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 04:42 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
HOORAY! We made it....

I stayed there last night so I could finish up a few things, go to sleep, and roll out of bed to be ready by 8:30. I was so nervous that with my luck, the bear would try to crash the party again, so I locked every window up tight. Quiet night...

They show up in a GIGANTIC truck, as in the kind that pick up your trash. The ball was too big for my hitch and they didn't have another. Told me they would be back in a few hours so I ate breakfast, took the dogs for a walk and let them go swimming. Finally they come back with a big van, hooked it up, and oh yes, the brakes.... I have a braking system in my set up, but all we had for this tow was my break-away trailer brake cable which I showed them. Anyway, we took it slow, got it all the way home and then they looked at the passageway to my back yard. There is a little snakey part, going past the porch with the giant wisteria bush, swing in at the second fence, though even with both sides of the gate wide open, it is a bit tight with a little swerve afterwards to miss some sprinkler heads. He said, "I will only take it as far as the second fence." Which was fine with me, I was just happy to get it home in one piece, though I haven't looked inside yet..

Soooo, it's been awhile since I have backed up the trailer and I was never the expert at it. I looked up some websites on "Unassisted Trailer Reversing" for a little review, reading outloud as my hands were moving in the air trying to practice it. My friend's Range Rover is still sitting in my front yard, I'll have to look in the garage for the rest of the hitch stuff. Let's see, it is 3:30PM right now, thank god I have back porch lights, I may get it in by morning...

Thank you for all your gracious replies,

Carol

PS When we got here, I found out they never hooked up the trailer break cable!
Old 07-31-2009, 05:02 PM   #14

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
HOORAY! We made it....

I stayed there last night so I could finish up a few things, go to sleep, and roll out of bed to be ready by 8:30. I was so nervous that with my luck, the bear would try to crash the party again, so I locked every window up tight. Quiet night...

They show up in a GIGANTIC truck, as in the kind that pick up your trash. The ball was too big for my hitch and they didn't have another. Told me they would be back in a few hours so I ate breakfast, took the dogs for a walk and let them go swimming. Finally they come back with a big van, hooked it up, and oh yes, the brakes.... I have a braking system in my set up, but all we had for this tow was my break-away trailer brake cable which I showed them. Anyway, we took it slow, got it all the way home and then they looked at the passageway to my back yard. There is a little snakey part, going past the porch with the giant wisteria bush, swing in at the second fence, though even with both sides of the gate wide open, it is a bit tight with a little swerve afterwards to miss some sprinkler heads. He said, "I will only take it as far as the second fence." Which was fine with me, I was just happy to get it home in one piece, though I haven't looked inside yet..

Soooo, it's been awhile since I have backed up the trailer and I was never the expert at it. I looked up some websites on "Unassisted Trailer Reversing" for a little review, reading outloud as my hands were moving in the air trying to practice it. My friend's Range Rover is still sitting in my front yard, I'll have to look in the garage for the rest of the hitch stuff. Let's see, it is 3:30PM right now, thank god I have back porch lights, I may get it in by morning...

Thank you for all your gracious replies,

Carol

PS When we got here, I found out they never hooked up the trailer break cable!

Glad to hear you made it without incident. Now enjoy your weekend.

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:08 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
dousman , Wisconsin
Quote:

Carol

Hi Carol,
The way folks assume and have a misguided sense of entitlement never ceases to amaze me.

The ex-laborer is an imbecile who assumed that he could just fish on his shirt-tail relative's land without checking to see if it was o.k.( evidently his parents never taught him a thing ). And as to why you had access to the ranch land .... that is none of his concern either.
He was told "NO" and could not do something that he wanted
to do, so he had to try cause trouble for you as well as the land owner.

Gosh, I really do wish people would put more effort into raising their kids and teaching them common courtesy and decorum.

And........... I hope that you find another scenic site for your Airstream.

Karol
campngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
The funny part is that I solved all three of my thread post problems all in one fell swoop; the bear, the mice and charging the battery! Plus I have a pretty nice silver guest house out here in the backyard under the bamboo and surrounded by grass. Then there is the patio with light, a table and umbrella and my barbeque. The dogs can go out to play without taking off and I can turn on a sprinkler and run though it. Who needs to travel....?
Old 08-01-2009, 01:31 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
One last note on this...

ROBERTSUNRUS, you would have been proud of me! I got the hitch hooked up to my friend's Range Rover by myself, put it in reverse and got it on the ball in one try, (first time I ever drove this car) then backed the trailer up inch by inch, getting out to check where I was going every two minutes. I made it through the second gate while making a turn at the same time, (and I am not exaggerating, one inch on one side and two inches on the other to spare) swung it back through the next S curve, missing the sprinkler head and my raised bed garden on opposites sides and slid her into new home. I felt so smug. I think I need another rivet....
Old 08-01-2009, 01:57 PM   #18
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
Quote:
One last note on this...

ROBERTSUNRUS, you would have been proud of me! I got the hitch hooked up to my friend's Range Rover by myself, put it in reverse and got it on the ball in one try, (first time I ever drove this car) then backed the trailer up inch by inch, getting out to check where I was going every two minutes. I made it through the second gate while making a turn at the same time, (and I am not exaggerating, one inch on one side and two inches on the other to spare) swung it back through the next S curve, missing the sprinkler head and my raised bed garden on opposites sides and slid her into new home. I felt so smug. I think I need another rivet....

well.. by your own admission, you were not centered in the opening...

, congrats on getting it home in one piece, but don't be thinking she shouldn't travel, no matter how handy that sprinkler is to run through. If that was all you needed from her you could have built a shed, not fallen in love with a TRAVEL trailer!!

again, 'grats.

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

1979 Sovereign International
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:17 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Well, of course I left the extra inch on my side so I could peek thru to the back...

Truly stop traveling?
Never...

Carol
Old 08-01-2009, 04:40 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
Good to hear that you made it. I'm proud of you for the delicate manuvers. Hope you can find a TV soo and be on your way to happy travels.