Old 08-01-2009, 08:08 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
dousman , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by cclarkego View Post
The owner of this ranch let me keep my trailer up there and I was allowed to come and stay whenever I wanted while I paint my landscape art. Apparently an ex-ranch laborer (who is loosely tied to the main owner by marriage) showed up at the ranch recently to "go fishing" and was told by one of the owners that he needed to ask permission to enter the ranch. He replied with, "How come SHE gets to come and stay in her trailer whenever she wants?"

Anyway, next thing you know the County agent shows up to inspect the property after receiving a report that "someone was living in their trailer up there." Even after they told him that I just came up to paint once in awhile, he saw a hose connected from my trailer to a faucet and called it "a living condition." Tagged the trailer that I had to be out by Aug 1.

I don't know the County rules, but since I have been a guest of the owner for the last year, I surely don't want to cause him any troubles. I know he and the County have knocked heads over the years about public access to his property, so they were probably itching for a reason to tangle with him again.

It was an incredible year in the most fabulous place, I will miss it dearly, but time to move on. At least I still have access to drive up anytime with the dogs and to paint, just not with my trailer....

Carol

Hi Carol,
The way folks assume and have a misguided sense of entitlement never ceases to amaze me.

The ex-laborer is an imbecile who assumed that he could just fish on his shirt-tail relative's land without checking to see if it was o.k.( evidently his parents never taught him a thing ). And as to why you had access to the ranch land .... that is none of his concern either.
He was told "NO" and could not do something that he wanted
to do, so he had to try cause trouble for you as well as the land owner.

Gosh, I really do wish people would put more effort into raising their kids and teaching them common courtesy and decorum.

And........... I hope that you find another scenic site for your Airstream.

Karol

Old 08-01-2009, 01:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
The funny part is that I solved all three of my thread post problems all in one fell swoop; the bear, the mice and charging the battery! Plus I have a pretty nice silver guest house out here in the backyard under the bamboo and surrounded by grass. Then there is the patio with light, a table and umbrella and my barbeque. The dogs can go out to play without taking off and I can turn on a sprinkler and run though it. Who needs to travel....?

Old 08-01-2009, 02:31 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
One last note on this...

ROBERTSUNRUS, you would have been proud of me! I got the hitch hooked up to my friend's Range Rover by myself, put it in reverse and got it on the ball in one try, (first time I ever drove this car) then backed the trailer up inch by inch, getting out to check where I was going every two minutes. I made it through the second gate while making a turn at the same time, (and I am not exaggerating, one inch on one side and two inches on the other to spare) swung it back through the next S curve, missing the sprinkler head and my raised bed garden on opposites sides and slid her into new home. I felt so smug. I think I need another rivet....
Old 08-01-2009, 02:57 PM   #18
Iwannagocamping

1979 31' Sovereign
Rineyville , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by cclarkego View Post
One last note on this...

ROBERTSUNRUS, you would have been proud of me! I got the hitch hooked up to my friend's Range Rover by myself, put it in reverse and got it on the ball in one try, (first time I ever drove this car) then backed the trailer up inch by inch, getting out to check where I was going every two minutes. I made it through the second gate while making a turn at the same time, (and I am not exaggerating, one inch on one side and two inches on the other to spare) swung it back through the next S curve, missing the sprinkler head and my raised bed garden on opposites sides and slid her into new home. I felt so smug. I think I need another rivet....

well.. by your own admission, you were not centered in the opening...

, congrats on getting it home in one piece, but don't be thinking she shouldn't travel, no matter how handy that sprinkler is to run through. If that was all you needed from her you could have built a shed, not fallen in love with a TRAVEL trailer!!

again, 'grats.

Just the photos.. (sometimes you don't need the blog, just a picture worth a thousand words..)

1979 Sovereign International
2004 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer
2 Golden Retrievers

Air #36788
TAC#3179
WBCCI #1265
Dakota's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 03:17 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Well, of course I left the extra inch on my side so I could peek thru to the back...

Truly stop traveling?
Never...

Carol
Old 08-01-2009, 05:40 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
Good to hear that you made it. I'm proud of you for the delicate manuvers. Hope you can find a TV soo and be on your way to happy travels.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:32 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Marked you off of my list.

Hi, cclarkego; Well I guess I will have to mark you off of my waiting list of Airstream owners coming to Lakewood for parking lessons. Good job and another fine story.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 02:07 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Redmond , Oregon
Carol,
Thank you very much for your story. And congrats on your almost perfect backing, an inch is an inch after all, of course that would only be half of an inch from being centered. Can you come to Oregon and give me backing lessons? Again, congrats!

'82 K20 Suburban 4spd
BMW K100RS, KTM 620SC
K7KIT
AIR #251
igor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 02:30 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
That's it! My newest idea on gainful employment....

I drive all over the US with my trailer and teach the new kids on the Airstream block how to back their trailers up. For an additional fee I will also teach a course in beginner's trailer ownership, "Mistakes You Should Not Make," of which I am quite certain I am well versed in.

Carol
Old 08-02-2009, 05:29 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
Walnut Cove , North Carolina
I sure could use the back up classes! We have free H2O and electricity! Oh and a portable dump tank. I think someone could make a funny video of all the people trhying to back up with help from their fiends or spouses.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:00 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Carol, thanks for all the great stories (bear, mice, backing up). I'm very impressed by your reverse driving skills. Keep travelling to add more stories to entertain us all! My Chessie had a near miss with a skunk last night. Not nearly as exciting as your bear experience....but had the skunk got him, we could have had quite the tale! What would one do if the dog were sprayed while camping? We thought we'd have to strap him to the roof of the TV!

Lisa

P.S. You DO deserve an extra rivet!

2008 23' Int. CCD "The Atomic Pod" https://atomicpod.wordpress.com
2002 Chinook Destiny | 1973 13' Boler (fiberglass egg) "The Boiler"
WBCCI #23223 (=23 CCD)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 06:58 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Redmond , Oregon
Carol,

Reminds me of something my Grandfather told me almost 40 years ago. After I had backed the log truck in next to the shop with the trailer down, including the 90 degree backing turn needed, I was sooo proud. He just said "Hell boy, I've backed up furthur than you have been away from home". Problem was, he was correct!

He was indeed a good backing instructor though.

'82 K20 Suburban 4spd
BMW K100RS, KTM 620SC
K7KIT
AIR #251
igor is offline   Reply With Quote