Old 03-02-2008, 05:00 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari 28
I have been told earlier versions of FFV vehicles had issues. Our 08 f150-- not even a burp on the corn fuel/ sometimes and very rarely at idle you can feel the computer hunting for the right numbers, just a brief 1-2 second rough idle.
The truck in question is a 2007 model bought last year, right around the time Chevy was marketing all the hoopla about their vehicles being able to burn E-85.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:07 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Journalist
The truck in question is a 2007 model bought last year, right around the time Chevy was marketing all the hoopla about their vehicles being able to burn E-85.
My 2002 GMC is a flex fuel vehicle... the hoopla is what's in vogue now. Take a look at a hybrid, they plaster a half dozen hybrid insignias all over the outside of the vehicles. Bein' green is what sells these days... even if it just sounds "green"

http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 08:09 PM   #73
4 Rivet Member

2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
White Lake , Michigan
Sorry overlander63
I thought I was just stating the facts about was going on in this great country of mine.
I was an owner of a steel erection company and know if we owners did what the oil companies did, we would be in prison for collusion(price fixing). The gov't watched our bids like an eagle.
We also played a part in the Alaskan pipeline construction, but most of that oil goes to Japan.
We were supposed to be able to retire and enjoy our trailers or MHs and this isn't exactly the way to do it.
bfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:05 AM   #74
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
2Air hit the nail on the head back in post 48. No matter how you slice it, the way our agricultural system is set up today, you will rob Peter to pay Paul. There is a finite number of farmers left in this country and a finite number of acres being farmed. Until that ramps up to meet demand, there will be a trade off. Already, farmland that was going for $1,000/acre has sored to $15-$16,000/acre just because of the demand for corn.

I recently read an article in the New York times regarding the impact that the demand for bio-diesel in Europe and Asia is having on the food supply in third world countries. The E.U. countries have a ban on ag products that come from rain forest depleting growth practices. So tropical grown palm oil is usually not accepted in the E.U. countries. The demand for bio-diesel in Europe and Asia, where it is made from fresh vegie oil and not recycled cooking oil like here in the U.S., has created a shortage of soy bean oil. This has led to clear cutting tropical rain forest in southeast Asia to grow palm oil palms to replace the soy bean oil that goes into European bio diesel. In most of southeast Asia, families grow 98% of their food and the main food item purchased is cooking oil. The price of cooking oil has skyrocketed in these countries causing a food crisis in these countries.

This is the same thing we can expect from E-85. Corn oil and livestock feed will escalate in price as more and more go to fuel automobiles. Each gallon of E-85 takes approx. 4 gallons of petroleum to produce by one source I read. It is not the answer nor is it part of the solution. I truly wish it was. It would be the ultimate if the U.S. could produce a renewable energy source that would not negatively impact the rest of our economy. Certainly, the U.S. could produce that 15% gasoline component out of our own resources and make us energy independent...but it just isn't going to happen with E-85. It isn't going to happen using pond scum/algae either. How big of a pond would you really need after all to produce enough algae to supply the U.S.'s energy needs?

People keep saying that diesel will be he next wave and will be the answer. If that is true, then the answer to bio-diesel may very well be recycled plastics. The Chinese developed a portable refinery that using an inexpensive catalyst and a self-supplied heat source can melt down plastics (everything from grocery bags to soft-drink bottles) and recapture diesel and even gasoline from the petroleum that went into making the plastic. The cost per gallon of diesel: approximately $0.48/gallon. A British company has sole rights to the technology and has plans to bring it to this country (already has to many municipalities) and set up the refineries at land fills so that counties and other municipalities could recycle the plastics into diesel and generate a new revenue source in addition to property taxes. Cost of the portable refinery: approximately $5,000.

So why aren't we hearing more about this recycling option as a solution instead of E-85 and bio-diesel? I think it's because E-85 and bio-diesel have a green appeal to them and recycling to make more diesel doesn't seem as "sexy". Green is in, recycling is passť'.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:27 AM   #75
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Ok all, in 2 days towed the 28 from Ft. Collins to Holland, I mean tough in cross winds of over 50mph on Colo and Wyoming, snow in Des Moines down to 2 track on I80 and then the wake up call of pot holes in Illinois and Michigan. It is amazing what the trailer takes, the suspension is incredible, I stop sometimes to check her and all is in place. Anyway, an update on e85. All e85 this trip, low in ft collins of 2.49, never more than 2.53/gallon and in Illinois a new 100 million gallon plant being built. The local gas/ethanol station guy( next to the plant) said a huge glut and the price is dropping. He was right, all on I80 signs by the state(Illinois) now showing e85 locations. Claims state employees coming in and a huge push for marketing for the stuff. I say it is here for some time, I never dropped under 12mpg even under punishing winds. I detect no power loss. Please, tell me how a diesel at over 10k upfront, and a buck a gallon or more everyday would be the right move????? I know loaded she is under 6500lbs, but really this is a very good study indeed for those towing under say 7klbs or less.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:01 AM   #76
4 Rivet Member

Safari 28, noone can validly argue with you. It is really working on your behalf. I wouldn't buy a new diesel today, although I'm happy with my old 96 which garners 14.5 mpg towing, which is better than the new emission-controlled diesels. I recently paid $3.70 per gallon for diesel, although most suppliers sold it at around $3.50 or so. All I can say is, enjoy your moment with the E85. Things will probably change, if we come to our senses and quit subsidizing such fuels with tax dollars so the real cost of producing food-for-fuel can be realized, as pointed out in previous posts. What's politically correct now can change. But enjoy while you can.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:10 AM   #77
Site Team

, Minnesota
It sounds like some great comspiracy is underway to drive up food prices, just so I can have cheaper fuel. I think someone in the goverment needs to step up and put an end to this nonsense. We need price controls and fuel rationing right now.

Vote for me!
Old 03-04-2008, 08:44 AM   #78
Getting Back Into It...

1975 Argosy 24
St Petersburg , Florida
Send a message via Yahoo to ttam
I just got diesel this morning and my pumps have hit a new record - $3.73 cash and $3.79 credit.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:33 AM   #79
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Safari28, you are correct about diesels vs. lighter trailers. It doesn't necessarily pay to own one. But if you have a heavier trailer, as you say, it is a durability benefit to have a diesel. If you tow in the higher altitudes, it is a benefit. If you keep a vehicle for the long term, it is a benefit for durability to have one.

A diesel is definitely NOT the right tow vehicle for everyone. For some of us, we are happy with our decisions to have bought a diesel. For some, a V-10 3/4 ton gasser is preferred. For some, a 1/2 ton tow vehicle is sufficient and the owners are happy with them.

It's a lot like owning an Airstream: there are a lot of other brands that you can enjoy camping in for a lot less money, but in the end it comes down to what fulfills your individual criteria the best. I think we are very fortunate to have options in this country.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 03-04-2008, 10:42 AM   #80
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttam
I just got diesel this morning and my pumps have hit a new record - $3.73 cash and $3.79 credit.
I hit a new record yesterday filling the truck. $120 for one fill up!

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 07:32 PM   #81
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
I hit a new record yesterday filling the truck. $120 for one fill up!
I can just see all the new fuel charges I will get from the trucking companies. I have a very good friend at the marina that owns a fleet of 150 semis. He loves fuel surcharges, he stuffs a small % of it in his pocket. Easy to hide. He is the same guy that owns a 55 sea ray and bitches about the 3k it cost to fill up. You know it is all relative, at least being a streamer we only have one engine to feed, not 2. Michelle can you burn bio diesel? Is it any cheaper?
Old 03-04-2008, 08:35 PM   #82
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari 28
Michelle can you burn bio diesel? Is it any cheaper?
I can burn bio-diesel but I have not found any nor do I know if it is any cheaper.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 02:55 PM   #83
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Last night I bought the most expensive diesel I have had to buy so far...BP @ $3.699/gallon. Can you say ouch?

Check this out:

StumbleVideo

Maybe this will prove to be our answer. If not, we have a problem Houston! This would be better than a fuel cell.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 03-05-2008, 04:55 PM   #84
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Excellent video, He was in USA today as well. Something tells me he will be the next Bill Gates, and he should be looking for very good personal security on a 24/7 basis. He needs lots of electricity to break the water molecule apart, I suspect modern technology in capacitor and transformer development is the secret. Just a guess, but damn, this maybe the salvation for Michigan. We have lots of water!!