Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-03-2014, 04:07 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
2013 27FB International Serenity towed with a 2013 Ram Cummings Diesel 2500 4x4 and ProPride Hitch.

It doesn't get any better than this....

Have owned (and towed) both a 2009 25FB Classic with 2010 Touareg TDI (diesel) and a 2011 30 Classic with 2011 Ford F-350 SRW 4x4 Diesel - each with a ProPride hitch All Across this USA of ours...

My current rig is just like the 3 Bears - Just Right....
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:24 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by swan View Post
Doug (or others),

The 27 and 28' AS have a 950lb hitch weight. The Expeditions, even with the 9200lb GVW towing package, have a distributed hitch max of 920lb. How does that affect the overall towing and safety of the setup? I ask because we are days away from pulling the trigger on a 28' and the Expedition. Would load-leveling suspension in the back of the Expedition help? Is this close of a discrepancy relevant?

Eventually, we will go to the f250, but wanted to get a place where we can store it in a garage. Didn't like the idea of keeping the TV outdoors—especially since it will also be a daily-driver.

Do you think the Expedition will hold us off for a year or two?
I tow my International 27FB with a Ford Expedition because its what I owned when I bought the trailer. Works fine, not a rocket uphill, but otherwise okay. I've weighed it at CAT Scales twice. Once empty, the other time loaded for travel. I'm under all the important ratings. I'm planning to keep it (its a 2003) for a couple more years then I'll replace it with something new. Just my opinion, but I don't think this trailer needs a 3/4 ton 400 hp diesel to pull it around.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:26 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I wrecked a wonderful 2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 Diesel (and a 2006 Safari 25FB SE) this summer. I replaced it with a F-150 Ecoboost - big engine, gas of course.) That diesel Silverado was a MONSTER towing machine. As a daily driver it got better mileage than a Suburban 2500 (now no longer made). BUT I had two occasions where I was in small town America trying to find diesel at a pump I could actually get into. Can you say "Jerry Can" and haul a 55 lb can of fuel across a six lane highway to get enough diesel to make it to the next big truck stop?

With a 27... I like the 3/4 ton better though I have NO problems with the new Ford Ecoboost and my 25 Eddie Bauer. Of course in the mountains of WV... it isn't an all star, but it was actually OK. I fulltime but most of the time I'm in the local area at one of three or four favorite campgrounds.

Long haul, you'll like a 3/4 ton more. Pulling up to re-fuel it, not so much.
Were I going bigger I would have opted for a 3/4 ton, but I'd still have gone GASSER with this one... Just because ANY station has it. (OH, and IMHO get 4 wheel drive... you'll need it about twice a year. Wet grass in a campground is a PITA!

Paula
Old 01-05-2014, 09:04 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

2009 27' FB International
_ , North Carolina
I have a 2009 27 Ocean Breeze that I full time in and pull with a 2005 Dodge 2500 quad cab 4x4 diesel. Perfect set up in my mind. If you pull only a couple of times a year on flat ground then a 1500 pickup or expedition will suffice. The problem with SUVs arise when it is loaded up with 4-5 people, gear, and a full camper. Many SUVs will be beyond their weight capacities when loaded up like that. Most SUVs have passenger rated tires too, which are not good for towing.

Hypothetically speaking if I had a 1500 pickup that could tow 9,000 lbs with the tools I have in the back along with the gear and supplies that I have with a fully loaded 27 FB I would be over loaded.

I believe in overkill for safety reasons. I don't like to max out a tow vehicle. You may be able to tow with a vehicle but can you stop with it? Several years ago I was towing a 10,000 lb trailer in the mountains and going down a 5-7% grade when I noticed my plug to the trailer had come loose and I didn't have brakes on the trailer. I was able to stop without any issues from 65 mph with no brakes on the trailer. I doubt it would have been that easy with a 1500 or SUV.

My truck is my daily driver and not everyone wants to drive a 3/4 ton truck around as a daily driver, but I love it. Pick a vehicle that will fit your needs for both towing and daily life. If you tow often then consider towing with a 3/4 ton truck. Just because a truck can tow 7500-10,000 doesn't mean it can do it safely with a full family, supplies, and fuel.
FLMarine is offline   Reply With Quote