Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-07-2017, 07:25 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Who Makes the Most Comfortable Seats Among the Big Three?

My 2009 chev LT isn't all that comfortable after 5+ hours of driving. Who has the most comfortable interiors?

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I am pretty satisfied with the leather bucket seat on my Ram. Electric 6 way adjustments and heat.

There are also aftermarket seats.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:49 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
My Mercedes ML350 with upgraded Leather seats are the best. Lots of adjustments including 4 way lumbar. Ventilated and heated too. The upgrade on seats is usually worth it. Your LT could be improved significantly with LTZ seats which you could find used to match your interior and keep the truck.
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
My wife has never found any brand to be comfortable enough, even her Volvo, which I think has the most comfortable seats of any brand I have ever encountered. She makes carryaround cushions as a seat topper for the seat and back, foam with a density that pleases her. I wouldn't select a truck based on seat comfort when you can do something like my wife does.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1997 30' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1981 28' Airstream 280
San Antonio , Texas
I have had a 2012 1500 LT that I drive for work and have made some long trips in. I am a big guy and it is quite comfortable to me.
Personal/tow vehicle is a 2009 2500 LTZ Z71 4X4 with leather and heat. It is also quite comfortable.

Worst seats I have found are the Fords unless you get into the REALLY expensive trucks.

Just my opinion.
No amount of time will erase the memory of a great dog.
bwoodtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 08:22 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
my audi Q5 is very comfortable to sit in on long trips
waninae39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:19 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Deforest , Wisconsin
I have a 2015 Silverado LT Z71 Crew cab split bench seat in the front, vehicle seats 6 in a pinch. Drivers seat is good, the passenger seat is horrible....my wife was complaining, I understood completely once I rode shotgun.
RxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 03:49 AM   #8
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
We are very happy with the seats in our '15 F150 crew cab. The '13 we had, not so much. Ours is an XLT Sport, which gets you the 10 way power heated buckets and floor console/shifter from the Lariat and up trims, but in cloth. The backs are actually "thinner" looking than the previous gen seats, but very comfortable, and the adjustability is really the key. I also like that the headrest pad can be "rotated" forwards and back so they don't cut into your neck no matter your height.

The Sport with MaxTow is really a great option, giving us the 6.5' bed, 4wd, and 1907 lbs of payload. The higher trim lines get you leather and heated/cooled seats (and I think even massaging on the mac daddy's), but it really cuts your payload rating down, hence the XLT for us

Hope this helps.
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:23 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Seats will feel different to everybody's beeeehind! The worst ever has been our 2005 Honda Civic. After 30 minutes I'm done!

I think the most important aspect is having options such as heat, cooling, adjustable lumbar support, adjustment for leg support (6 way seat).

I have also seen a retrofit of air ride seats into a pickup truck like those used in a OTR truck.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:02 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Carlsbad , California
We're all built differently, so one size doesn't fit all. Consumer report, Car and Driver, Road and Track will write of their opinions, as will many of us, but you should visit showrooms to make the decision. When young I could drive on any seat all day and just shake it off. Now I'm getting picky about seat comfort. I had a full sized Chevy van recently with OK seats, and a Honda Fit with excellent seats. I just bought a new Silverado LTZ tug with Leather buckets. They have many power adjustments including lumbar, as well as heating and cooling. They are a little firm and the lumbar support is too low on the seat back. The seat cushion is a little short to support my legs. They are still very nice, so I can't complain, just not custom made to fit me. I also sat in a Ford F150 at the dealer. It was a leather optioned truck which felt comfortable for the 15 minutes I sat there. The Ford lumbar support was higher on the back.
Russ
Ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:13 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
The best seat ever was in my MH. Eight way power seats, I could always move, tilt, raise, lower to make another 100 miles painless.
The seat was leather, but there were fabric inserts in the middle for ventilation. Add to that the wheel went up, down, in, out, to match. It was wider than normal and the armrests were comfy.

My Ram had comfortable seats, but everything else was terrible.

My Harley seats are torture, but look great. 50 miles and I'm squirming.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:20 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Calgary , Alberta
Smile Can't speak for the other brands but...

[QUOTE=Lumatic;1920073]I am pretty satisfied with the leather bucket seat on my Ram. Electric 6 way adjustments and heat.

+1- I have a Ram as well and have driven over 13 hours, feeling no discomfort or soreness. (lots of fatigue though!) I also have the leather/electrics in my truck.
Masondood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 06:02 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Palm Desert , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeinated View Post
My 2009 chev LT isn't all that comfortable after 5+ hours of driving. Who has the most comfortable interiors?
You asked about interiors but most responses were about seats. And that's what I want to talk about.

Most cars and trucks are supplied with seats that are too soft IMO. This means that your body weight is supported by the flesh in your legs and buttocks. That's no problem for a run to the grocery store but for 5+ hrs, it's painful as the pressure will cut the blood circulation in your lower body.

The solution is a firm seat so that your weight will be supported by your sit bones. Take a look at a pro cyclist. You may wonder how they can be comfortable for a 5 hour ride and the answer is that they are supporting their weight with their sit bones.

I have a 911 with firm seats and I can sit there all day and feel great. But an hour ride in my Dad's mini-van? Painful as all get out. Seats too soft. I'm squiring within 30 min. As always, YMMV. Dave
dasams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:12 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I am pretty satisfied with the leather bucket seat on my Ram. Electric 6 way adjustments and heat.

There are also aftermarket seats.
+1 cooled and heated seat sure make the ride more comfortable!
Poodle and two cats!
Masondood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 09:57 PM   #15
Rivet Master

South East , Michigan
I really like the seats in my F-150. Heated, cooled lots of adjustments, and massage! When we first test drove the truck the DW said she didn't care about the massage - thought it would be rough and hard like some of the shiatsu chairs. We were driving and I turned on the feature as a joke. When we got out of the truck, she said buy that one, the seats are WONDERFUL!

On the trips we've been on, running the massage for 10 minutes after a few hours on the road results in an amazing attitude readjustment.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:20 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Another vote for the RAM seats. I've driven newer ford 250's and a lot of other random vehicles but no 2500 Chevy's. I can say the RAM seats are some of the most comfortable I've been in for long drives. The only thing better was a Ford F450 I drove one time that had a completely aftermarket interior with custom seats. It was set up as a hot-shot rig, so the seats were high-end for long hauls, and very comfortable.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:10 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bozman , Maryland
An important factor in seat comfort isn't the seat at all, but how high it is off the floor, especially if you're 6' tall or more. A low seat concentrates your weight on the back of your butt; a higher seat distributes it along the underside of your thighs. The leather seats on my Silverado LT are super-comfy: ventilated, heated, cooled and all that. But, even raised as high as possible, they're a few inches closer to the floor than the other half tons. This allows me, at 6' 3" tall, to wear my "Indiana Jones" leather hat inside the truck, but I get sore butt after 5 hours or so. Unfortunately, this is not obvious in a 30- minute test drive.
DC Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:20 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bruce View Post
An important factor in seat comfort isn't the seat at all, but how high it is off the floor, especially if you're 6' tall or more. A low seat concentrates your weight on the back of your butt; a higher seat distributes it along the underside of your thighs. The leather seats on my Silverado LT are super-comfy: ventilated, heated, cooled and all that. But, even raised as high as possible, they're a few inches closer to the floor than the other half tons. This allows me, at 6' 3" tall, to wear my "Indiana Jones" leather hat inside the truck, but I get sore butt after 5 hours or so. Unfortunately, this is not obvious in a 30- minute test drive.

So what you're saying is, your chevy makes you butt sore?...
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:48 AM   #19
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Proper posture means as much. Those who slouch out of long habit will be worst off.

N-V-H (noise, vibration, harmonics) are perhaps the largest factor. A firm riding but quiet truck can be perceived as better than one with "best" seats but a louder interior.

Going back about 30-years, GM trucks are usually perceived as being the most comfortable (due to much of the above).

Frankly, there's no easy way to tell these days, outside of IFS front ends versus beam axle (first is best).

Seats are the final part of a larger equation. I use a PURPLE Ultimate Seat Cushion as I drive 300-600 miles daily. Cuts vibration and gets rid of the cracks in the road. Doesn't seem to wear out either.

Tire pressure according to scale readings makes the biggest difference in all this past suspension design.

A beam axle 4WD with sector gear steering and open shoulder tread will wear down the driver faster.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:21 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Little Rock , Arkansas
We love the seats in our 2016 F250 King Ranch. We tested the big 3 with emphasis on comfort of the seats, both front and back. We wanted to make certain the ride was comfortable for any guests who were in the back. We measured and sat in them all. The F250 King Ranch seats for the 2016 year model got our vote. MOst of the others had front seats that were not as deep. Some of the others had really small back seats that just didn't cut it. Three adults fit comfortably in the back seat. Ours has heated seats both front and back and cooled in the front. Other interior features we love are the multiple drink holders and all the charging stations and methods for anyone needing to charge an electric device. We also love the spaciousness of the interior. We have a locking big drawer under the back seat which comes in handy. We love our truck!
judyjudy is offline   Reply With Quote