Old 11-16-2014, 01:27 PM   #1
David

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Who is towing with a Honda Ridgeline???

Who is towing with a Honda Ridgeline and what size trailer are you towing? I'm considering a 20 Flying Cloud. Tongue weight is 30# over my rating but deal insists its ok with WD hitch. Manual does not recommend WD hitch. Confused in Cali! Please help! Please chime in as we are going to look again today!

Old 11-16-2014, 06:09 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Washington , Washington, D.C.
If you look around these forums you will find stories about AS dealers who tell people they can tow their AS with anything, TV manufacturers recommendations be damned. But think about this: if you're in the business of selling trailers the last thing you want to tell your customer is that he or she has to buy a new tow vehicle as well.
The Honda has an independent rear suspension which is very susceptible to overloading not to mention what it will do to your tires with the wheels out of camber. Remember that your hitch weight plus the weight of your passengers and whatever stuff you're carrying in the truck added together is your cargo weight and has to be compared to the vehicles rated cargo capacity. Finally, the automatic transmission hooked up to your 3.5 liter engine is notable for its failures in early 2000s model Pilots, Odysseys and Accords. Especially the heavier Pilot and Odyssey. So be sure and get an extra large transmission cooler for your Ridgeline if you tow anything with it. We have an '08 Pilot with 100k miles and no issues but we've never used it to tow anything. The Honda dealership will not install a hitch unless you add a transmission cooler.

Old 11-16-2014, 06:33 PM   #3
David

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
It does have the factory hitch and towing package. I did not know that about the rear suspension. We actually chose a slightly larger trailer with a much lighter tongue weight. It is now within specs for towing and also within GWVR! still going to look at a Tundra!! :-)
Old 11-16-2014, 07:18 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
As a retired auto tech (foreman) for a honda dealer as others have said the auto trans are a week point on alot of honda's auto trans, the ridgeline was not as bad as the odyssey maybe because there's more odysseys out there but the worse was the 1999-2004 odysseys as others have said the rear tires are going to get bad wear patern if you drive around with that heavy load on the suspention you maybe will have to a do a alignement with the load on to keep the alignement in specs, I like the ridgeline I was going to get one but realized it would cost more on fuel then a full size pickup with a 8 cylinder engine and I would be towing at max capacity of ridgeline , so I bought a full size Chevy truck. There is no way I would pull a 20 foot airstream with a ridgeline ,the only airstream you should pull with the ridgeline would be a 16 foot sport, and make sure you have a trans cooler and change the trans oil way more often then honda recommends I would change oil at least once a towing season or 24 000 kilometers and make sure to change it 3 times as when you change it once you don't get all the old dirty oil out only 1/3 as 2/3 of the oil is in the torque converter, so you need to drain it ,first time then fill it up and start up engine let it run for a couple of minutes then drain trans oil second time then fill it up and repeat for a third time.

Don
2012 silverado ext cab 4x4 ,5.3 L , 6 speed trans,3:42 final drive,tow package standard box 6 1/2 foot . 2014 honda forza 300 scooter, #2 2015 honda crf 250 L (Dual sport)
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
You will hear a lot of nonsense here. Our '06 Ridgeline is going on 120k with 40k+ towing our '22 SS. Outside of normal replacement of tires, battery, and timing belt, I've had no problems as some none owners have mentioned. I do not use a WD or sway control. Some of the members of the Ridgeline Club do use a WD hitch without complaint.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:32 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Salem , Virginia
Do yourself a favor and sell that Honda and get a Tundra.
Old 11-17-2014, 12:51 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
Do yourself a really big favor and get a Ford or GMC.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:24 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2011 19' Flying Cloud
Renton , Washington
Welcome! We're towing our 19' FC with a '12 Ridgeline. Handles well, never had an overheating issue--the temp gauge never even seems to move after its warmed up. I use WD and CAT scale readings reflect good numbers. Payload is the limiting factor but we're light travelers, no kids, so no problem. That said, unless I was towing a lighter weight vintage unit I wouldn't go bigger with this set up. Good luck to you in your search!
Old 11-18-2014, 06:54 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JConsroe View Post
Do yourself a favor and sell that Honda and get a Tundra.
I too would favor the Tundra.
I Googled the vehicle towing guide, and the Honda was limited to 5000# IIRC. That's at the low end of Airstreams.

But, money aside, the Tundra will get 12 -17 mpg all the time. Less when towing. I remember the $100 fill-ups in my Dodge Ram (12 mpg. in town) causing me to get a Honda.

Of course, the easy answer is only use the Tundra for towing, keep a compact for a daily driver. Then you win another $1000 insurance bill. (every year)

Nothing is easy.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:29 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1957 22' Caravanner
1964 26' Overlander
1954 29' Liner
Washington , Washington, D.C.
I love reading all this opinion. So fyi I towed a 23' AS with a 2011 Ridgeline to Newfoundland and back from DC. Then to the Everglades and back. Fully loaded trailer, and truck. No problem ever plus 12-13 mpg.

Traded that for a 2013 Ridgeline and towed a 26' Overlander for twice the distances...never ever a single problem of any kind!

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 11-18-2014, 11:47 PM   #11
David

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Well we opted for a 23FB FC! So long Ridgeline. Now, replacement tow vehicle, Tundra or GMC Sierra 1500? Why??
Old 11-19-2014, 05:43 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
N/A , N/A
Tundra. Look at the resale value of Tundra after 5 years and compare it with GM/Ford/Ram. Disclaimer: I am a Toyota fan

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 11-19-2014, 05:48 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Bruce View Post
The Honda has an independent rear suspension which is very susceptible to overloading not to mention what it will do to your tires with the wheels out of camber.
Some of the better performing TV's have IRS.

The Ridgelines work well as TV's.

Ridgeline's can tow (photos) - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Old 11-19-2014, 07:14 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
They sure did copy the Chevy Avalanche. Reward them and buy one.