Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-31-2011, 06:05 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
I thought I had the perfect tow vehicle with my GMC Duramax/Alison truck until I drove my buddy's new Dodge 4X4 Diesel. A really nice truck with LOTS of power.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:18 PM   #42
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
1981 31' Excella II
longview , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by gheuer View Post
We just got our Excella two months ago. We looked at 25s and 27s but settled on a 30. Our GMC 1500 5.3 V8 was not up to the challenge. We did a LOT of research on a replacement TV. Knowledgeable mechanics pointed me away from Ford and Dodge, and to the 2007-2008 GMC or Chevy 2500HD 6.6 diesel with the Allison tranny. Got our 2008 Chevy and just got home from the first trip pulling with it. Heaven on Earth in the hilly Blue Ridge of Virginia compared to the gassey.
what was the problem with the 1500? did fuel milage improve with the 2008?

thanks Dee
AirDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:27 PM   #43
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 310z View Post
I have not done any heavy towing with it yet. My boat and trailer are only about 3000 lb. The boat trailer is balanced out well and I cant even tell it is behind me. I live in the mountains and everywhere I go is either up, down or around a corner.

Yup, sounds like a TOYota is exactly what you need to fit your needs.

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:21 AM   #44
ptv
pv

2008 23' Safari FB SE
st. aug. , Florida
We've put over 30k miles on my 96 titan with absolutely no problems, while dragging a 23' safari from key west to yellowstone 3 times ----plenty of power/comfort. Total mileage around 60k right now. Still no major problems. pv
Old 06-09-2011, 10:39 AM   #45
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida 55 View Post
My wife and I are in exactly the same place you are except we are still looking at both 25' and 27'. We have decided to go 1/2 ton tow vehicle and are currently leaning toward the Ford F150 crew cab with the max tow package and Ecoboost engine. Having driven the prospective TV my only concern is the engine is in its first year and unproven in real service. The endurance testing Ford has done on this engine is impressive and the initial comments on the Ford truck blogs from actual users are so far very positive for both fuel economy and towing.
The eco-boost is intriguing...but a $4400 option?!
I am not sure what is gained in efficiency versus the standard engine on the F150...but it would take a significant increase in efficiency to offset $4400.
Can you enlighten us with a comparison of rated mpg and also vehicle capacities of the various F150 drive trains?
Does the ecb come with same tranny?
Interesting engine for sure...

To the OP...keep in mind a 1/2 ton is the minimum you would want to tow a 25'...if you plan on venturing far from home...you should consider stepping up to an HD truck...whatever flavor you like; Ford-GM-Ram.

B
Old 06-09-2011, 10:54 AM   #46
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I thought I had the perfect tow vehicle with my GMC Duramax/Alison truck until I drove my buddy's new Dodge 4X4 Diesel. A really nice truck with LOTS of power.
That's interesting as the 2011 Cummins is just now catching up in the hp/tq wars with GM and Ford...

The Cummins is a bullet proof engine...but IMO, I always felt the Dodge chassis were a couple of generations behind GM/Ford...they just feel dated; rough ride, ponderous steering...
They're good trucks...but not my first choice...(Note; have not driven the latest gen Ram)

Please tell us what you liked about the Ram versus your GM?
Why do you think it felt more powerful as the specs are (finally) very close among all 3 diesels...
What else did you like about the Ram?

Tx, Bill
Old 06-09-2011, 01:17 PM   #47
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I understand ecoboost is 2 turbochargers on a 6 cylinder engine for the Ford 150. Do they run all the time? How would that differ from a supercharger? If they don't run all the time, does this work for towing?

If you keep the truck for 6 years, that is $733/year, so it may come out even or better, but would be different for different uses. Last time gas mileage was to be increased by gov't regulations, the answer was usually turbos along with turbo lag and repairs. Eventually other manufacturers will add turbos or superchargers too and prices should come down.

Has anyone been towing with the ecoboost engine?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:54 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex View Post
That's interesting as the 2011 Cummins is just now catching up in the hp/tq wars with GM and Ford...

The Cummins is a bullet proof engine...but IMO, I always felt the Dodge chassis were a couple of generations behind GM/Ford...they just feel dated; rough ride, ponderous steering...
They're good trucks...but not my first choice...(Note; have not driven the latest gen Ram)

Please tell us what you liked about the Ram versus your GM?
Why do you think it felt more powerful as the specs are (finally) very close among all 3 diesels...
What else did you like about the Ram?

Tx, Bill
Bill,

I did not drive the Ram long enough to compare fuel mileage, etc. However, in the past the Cummins was LOUD, but not so any more. It's no noiser if as noisy as my Duramax.

Also, in the past the Ram interior was sort of spartan, but not so now, it is VERY nice indeed. Also in the past, it was my experience the Ram rode rougher than a GM truck, but if anything now, it rides smoother.

So, in summation, it FEELS like it has more power than my Duramax, is just as quiet and maybe more quiet, seems to ride smoother, and is nicer inside. Now I am comparing my buddies '11 Ram to my '08 GMC 80K mile Duramax, and that may not be a fair comparison.

If I were in the market for a new pickup truck today, I would most definately consider a Dodge.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:29 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
BillTex,
I may be able to answer some of what your looking for about the Dodge.
3/4 ton and larger trucks up to 2009 are considered a 3rd generation truck. the 2010 and newer trucks are a 4th generation.
  • The chassis/frame is the same on both generations.
  • steering components were improved on the 2008 and newer trucks.
  • The ride is better on the 2010 and newer trucks due to a change using hydraulic body mounts. I believe the springs are the same.
  • The interior in the fourth generation is flat much better looking than the 3rd generation. There are also more creature comforts. In fact this is the only thing I don't like about my third generation truck. I think the exterior of the 3rd generation looks better.
  • Cab options are regular cab, crew cab and mega cab.
  • The engines were tweaked in 2011 due to the competition. The 3rd generation and the 2010 trucks were 350 hp/650 torque in consumer pickups. The cab/chassis trucks were 350/605. The 2011 was upped to 350/800 in consumer trucks. Cab/chassis trucks remained the same. From what I read all that was done to the engine was a software flash and the harmonic balancer was changed.
  • Transmissions from 2007.5 and up are a 6 speed automatic with integrated exhaust brake. A manual transmission is still available in the 4th generation.
I have a 2009 and it is a quiet truck. As far as power goes - there is more than enough to pull any airstream out there. You have to hold the reins back or it will keep on accelerating. The integrated exhaust brake works well.
On my way out camping last weekend I stopped at the Cat Scale. My truck and trailer (trailer had 6,100 on the axle and I figure another 800 on the tongue) combination weight was 15,000 lbs. I found out that I was only off by 140 lbs between the front and rear axle. By the numbers the truck could handle another 5,000 lbs.
I really don't think it matters what brand someone buys - all manufacturers are making good trucks but the engine/components on the Dodge have proven reliable minus that occasional ball joint or tie rod end.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:13 PM   #50
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
2011 Dodge

My wife and I just took delivery of our 2011 Dodge 3500 Dually about two weeks ago and we could not be happier with our choice! This is what I had to say about it in another thread.
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...e-73163-2.html

I searched for months for the perfect TV for our family and this was my choice based on our needs and comfort level. We made our first trip of round trip 440 miles and it was a great experience. The truck was comfortable for us and our two four legged friends. Power was more than enough pulling our 29' Excella. We look forward to many long trips in our new TV.
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:30 PM   #51
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
I really don't think it matters what brand someone buys - all manufacturers are making good trucks
That may be the most important statement on this thread. Motor vehicles have improved tremendously in the past 20 years. Some get better and some drop back, but most can do the job. How they look and feel may determine a decision.

If I were looking now, as I said before, since the Toyotas have declined in reliability (but still may be best), I'd also look at Chevy and Ford. The Nissan Titan got bad reviews for safety today and Chrysler is becoming a small car company and may not be committed to trucks; anyway, I've never respected them. There are some exotics from Europe and they aren't really made for American towing (there is the Unimog for the really heavy duty fan). In 10 years the South Korean, Indians and Chinese may be selling light trucks here and everything will change again.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:49 PM   #52
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy
; Dodge have proven reliable minus that occasional ball joint or tie rod end.

I don't think I would like to be minus the occasional ball joint or tie-rod end.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:10 PM   #53
HCR
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Full time traveler
I have a 25 ft. Safari and after getting advice on this board purchased a new 2010 5.4 F150 w/tow package and 6.5 ft. bed. W/equalizer hitch pulls effortlessly and as I drive the F150 as my full time and only vehicle, I'm delighted w/the 20 mpg I get in daily driving--towing mileage is only about 12, however.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:04 PM   #54
LFM
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Laurel , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex View Post
The eco-boost is intriguing...but a $4400 option?!
I am not sure what is gained in efficiency versus the standard engine on the F150...but it would take a significant increase in efficiency to offset $4400.
Can you enlighten us with a comparison of rated mpg and also vehicle capacities of the various F150 drive trains?
Does the ecb come with same tranny?
Interesting engine for sure...

To the OP...keep in mind a 1/2 ton is the minimum you would want to tow a 25'...if you plan on venturing far from home...you should consider stepping up to an HD truck...whatever flavor you like; Ford-GM-Ram.

B
My invoice only shows a $750.00 option for that engine.
It is not a $4400.00 option, and I wonder where you would come up with that figure .
I bought mine a couple of months ago.
LFM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:25 AM   #55
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by LFM View Post
My invoice only shows a $750.00 option for that engine.
It is not a $4400.00 option, and I wonder where you would come up with that figure .
I bought mine a couple of months ago.
Motor Trend article...IIRC...maybe Car/Driver...I get both...
I'll see if I can find the article...it was recent.

I believe the article said the ecb runs on premium fuel also?
This would make fueling up more expen$ive than deezul?
Is that true?

What are the mielage figures for ecb engine?

I am not knocking it, I think it is a great idea...for the right size load.
Just trying to understand if there is a real advantage.

Edit; From Ford.com
F150 XL = $22790
ECO Boost option + $4400.

I guess it really depends on how you build your truck, but if you look at base price, ECB= $4400

Bill
Old 06-10-2011, 08:58 AM   #56
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
For me it came down to the F150 Ecoboost and the Tundra 5.7

I had a 7.3 '99 Powerstroke since '99. But with the price creep combined with the size and capability creep I didn't need a 3/4 ton to pull a 25 especially that I'm not a hard core heavy user of the trailer.

I found the F150 more trailering friendly for equipment. Built in brake controller, easier to find tow mirrors. The truck could be ordered exactly as I wanted.

The Toyota comes with packages and whatever the factory seems to choose to build at the time. I could not locate a truck in the configuration I wanted with factory tow mirrors. I'd rather have a couple nights in a luxury hotel than the $450 motorized sliding rear window.

But for me it came down to the relatively proven Tundra 5.7 v.s the new Ecoboost in the truck application. I have no doubt the direct injection turbo engine is more efficient and the way of the future. But I chose not to be an early adopter here.

I have not towed with the Tundra yet. I can report the 5.7 engine is truly nice and superior to any gas V8 I've had in power, smoothness, refinement. The transmission is very responsive. The driveline is perfectly balanced, feel no unusual vibration. The Michelin tires are perfectly balanced, it seems like all the new vehicles come with very nicely balanced tires. The cab is quiet and has no rattles or creaks. On smooth roads its luxury car, on rough roads trucky feel suspension, but smoother than my F250 was. Wind noise is minimal for a boxy truck. Fuel economy empty (4x2 double cab) is about 18-19 MPG at steady 70 but can very easily be driven down to low double digits by spirited driving in town. The expensive JBL aftermarket stereo sounds pretty good. It has a lot of power and plays loud. My standard equipment Camry stereo has better sound. The truck feels big and tall, had to order nerf bars.

Will report on tow performance later.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:57 AM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' International CCD
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I don't think I would like to be minus the occasional ball joint or tie-rod end.
Hi fortunately Dodge's achilles heel is well known and easily dealt with. As soon as the busings start to go, replace all the dodge front end components with MOOG.

I'll *NEVER* have a ball joint or tie rod issue a second time and the first ones lasted 130k.
SoCalStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:21 AM   #58
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi View Post
The truck feels big and tall, had to order nerf bars.

Will report on tow performance later.
I have a 2007 Tundra and it has been a great TV. My wife loves the nerf bars...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0009.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	269.3 KB
ID:	132130  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:57 AM   #59
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
I have a 2007 Tundra and it has been a great TV. My wife loves the nerf bars...
Good to hear! I ordered the Westin chrome nerf bars, look very similar or identical to yours.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:26 PM   #60
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Mine were made by Innovative Creations, but they are all basically the same. Mine bolted on with no drilling. Had them on in an hour and they have zero sag when you step on them. The local distributor gave me the same discount that my company gets.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote