Old 06-11-2011, 08:04 PM   #71
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi View Post
One more little note on the Tundra-

This may be common for what I know, but I love this little feature:
It has a USB jack and will play audio from mass storage device. It will play from portable hard drive so long as it doesn't need separate power other than what comes from the USB source.

The 2011 Superduty does that also......Did I mention Cooled seats?

Shane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:50 PM   #72
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL

The 2011 Superduty does that also......Did I mention Cooled seats?

Shane
The 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 has two USB ports and cooled seats

Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:40 PM   #73
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith84 View Post
The 2011 Dodge Ram 3500 has two USB ports and cooled seats

Funny!!!!!

It's a Dodge.

Shane

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:41 PM   #74
3 Rivet Member

2011 28' Flying Cloud
Orillia , Ontario
F150 For Me

I have only towed with Chevy and Ford but did test drive the Toyota before getting my F150. I had a F350 for 7 years before the 2008 F150 but would never get a diesel again and I have many reasons for that.
The F150 gets as good of mileage as my F350 did and towed my 27foot Sunny Brook just as well except for the torque part. But I still have had no problems with the F150 for going where I have to go.
Now that I have just purchased a 2011 28 foot flying cloud and it being a lighter trailer then the Sunny Brook it is amazing how well it tows this trailer.
I have not done the mileage calculations yet but watching the fuel gauge coming home from the dealer I believe there will be a gas savings as well.
For me I don't believe you need the tow vehicles you may think when it is hitched properly and have the proper brake controller.
Then again I have only been towing a few years. (23)
Old 06-12-2011, 06:38 AM   #75
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Don't 'ya just love these threads....."mine is bigger than 'yer's, na na na na na na"

Better looking too!!

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:42 AM   #76
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Don't 'ya just love these threads....."mine is bigger than 'yer's, na na na na na na"

Better looking too!!
When discussing tow vehicles, it ALLWAYS degrades to it.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:14 AM   #77
3 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
1973 Argosy 26
Fairmont , West Virginia
Chevrolet or GMC (Anything else would just be wrong....)
Old 06-12-2011, 09:21 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I suppose if you choose your tow vehicle according to who owns the company instead of reliability and suitability for the job, you may come up with a different result. It's been posted before, but the Tundra appears to have more American made parts than all the others, and, guys at the local Toyota dealer tell me the American made parts are the ones that break first. It may be impossible to buy any truck for some unless they want a 30 or 40 year old vehicle.

Gene
Old 06-12-2011, 09:48 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
This thread started asking for comments on Tundra and F150.

Our 06 Tundra has 63k miles now, no repairs ever needed. The only fault for trailering was the stock P-rated tires which I replaced with smaller diameter extra-load tires. The stability of the Airstream behind it now is like night to day, and its a bit stronger on the hills with little or no change in fuel use. I always tow with overdrive off and it moves along without shifting down in cruise control except on the steeper grades.

Haven't had a Ford since my 1950 2-dr flathead V8 so I can comment on that. The little engine run quiet and smooth, side-stepped the clutch at full rev's once and lost the trans. Fun car but crude in concept compared to today's cars. Come to think of it, the front V8 engine, rear drive, solid axle concept is still used in pickups and we call them modern tow vehicles?

doug k
Old 06-12-2011, 11:42 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Our 06 Tundra has 63k miles now, no repairs ever needed.

doug k
Just for the record, the '06 came with either a 4.7 L. V8 or a V6. The '07 came with the 5.7 L. V8 as one of the available engines. It is also a larger truck with a 6 speed automatic available with the large engine. I have no doubt the '06 Doug has is fine for his trailer and some people happily tow 25' and longer Airstreams with the 1st generation Tundras.

We had a 2002 Tundra with the 4.7 L. V8 when we were looking at trailers and we believed that using it to tow a 25' FB Safari would be pushing it for that truck. The '06 4.7 L. produced more horsepower than the '02 I believe, but I don't know about torque.

Our '07 also came with low quality P tires which we gladly replaced at 18,000 miles. They may have had 4-7,000 more miles on them, we were leaving on a long trip and I didn't want to come back with bald tires that I didn't trust anyway.

My last Ford product was a '56 Mercury that my mother turned over to me in '59. It was slow, unreliable, unsexy looking, but it was a CAR! Memorable things happened in that car. I think I got $200 or $300 when I sold it in 1962. I never wanted another Ford product. By 1962 my father had a Thunderbird that stalled when he made a left turn; that may have created some additional anti-Ford bias. I saw a restored '56 4 door (mine was a 2 door hardtop convertible) with the same colors (green, white, green) a few years ago and it looked much better to me now than mine did long ago. This paragraph has nothing to do with present Ford realities.

Gene
Old 06-12-2011, 12:10 PM   #81
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
Final consideration; pick a TV that has air conditioning through the seats. It feels like millions of tiny bubbles tickling your butt!
Old 06-12-2011, 12:37 PM   #82
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1 View Post
It feels like millions of tiny bubbles tickling your butt!
I wonder why the companies that make those trucks don't use that slogan in their national advertising? Are you sure Anthony Weiner didn't tweet that?

Gene
Old 06-12-2011, 12:39 PM   #83
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
One item I've not seen in the posts - I started with an '04 Nissan Armada. Capable of pulling out new ('07) AS International but with some minor shortcomings. Those short-comings seemed to multiply over the years until I HAD to get rid of it - found an '07 Suburban, 2500, 6.0 liter gasser. Boy, do we love it. This is our second year of towing with it and WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! My major item is the enlarged gas tank on the 'burb. Most tanks are basically the same as an automobile but on the 2500, they've used a 39 gallon tank. Cost to fill it up but it does last longer. Having boated on the Great Lakes for several years, it's nothing like filling 400 gallon tanks on the Egg Harbor!!! Don't mind buying 30 - 35 gallons at all. Usually try to buy at the local grocery store where they discount the fuel 10 cents for every hundred dollars spent. Three or four trips usually means a 50 cent per gallon discount - adds up when buying 35 gallons. We love our 'burb with ALL the bells and whistles (only because we bought it used). Happy streaming!
Old 06-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #84
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilgrim View Post
...... We love our 'burb with ALL the bells and whistles (only because we bought it used). Happy streaming!
We love ours too.....Used is the best way.

Only major new purchase....03 Airstream Classic, in hindsight that was....never mind.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote