Old 06-10-2011, 10:57 AM   #57
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' International CCD
Los Angeles , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I don't think I would like to be minus the occasional ball joint or tie-rod end.
Hi fortunately Dodge's achilles heel is well known and easily dealt with. As soon as the busings start to go, replace all the dodge front end components with MOOG.

I'll *NEVER* have a ball joint or tie rod issue a second time and the first ones lasted 130k.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:21 AM   #58
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi View Post
The truck feels big and tall, had to order nerf bars.

Will report on tow performance later.
I have a 2007 Tundra and it has been a great TV. My wife loves the nerf bars...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0009.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	269.3 KB
ID:	132130  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:57 PM   #59
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
I have a 2007 Tundra and it has been a great TV. My wife loves the nerf bars...
Good to hear! I ordered the Westin chrome nerf bars, look very similar or identical to yours.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:26 PM   #60
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Mine were made by Innovative Creations, but they are all basically the same. Mine bolted on with no drilling. Had them on in an hour and they have zero sag when you step on them. The local distributor gave me the same discount that my company gets.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:47 PM   #61
2 Rivet Member

Austin , Texas
A 25' AS will be best towed by a half-ton. However there are caveats:

If you are going into the mountains, you lose horsepower as you gain altitude with normally aspirated engines. If this is where you are going commonly, consider a 3/4 ton with a turbo diesel, or a Ford F-150 with the EcoBoost engine.

Keep an eye on the tow weight ratings. An AWD pickup usually tows far less than a 4WD model because of the extra transfer case. I always try to buy the biggest engine size possible. Yes, it might cost a few MPG, but it is worth it in the long run.

Keep an eye on the true weight of the TT? Realistically, if you are going over 8-9k with a TT, I'd seriously consider a turbo diesel 3/4 or 1 ton over a half ton. However, if you are using the TV as a daily driver, you might be better off with a 1/2 ton because they are shorter in length.

I'm sure other people have better advice. I like my F-150s, but there isn't anything wrong with a Chevy, Dodge, or foreign.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:57 PM   #62
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Installed Prodigy P3 brake controller today on the new Tundra. I ordered this particular unit which came with harness and Toyota plug.

Amazon.com: Tekonsha P3 Brake Control for Toyota Vehicles: Automotive

No splicing, removed left kick panel (directions in owners manual) and plugged in the harness and attached ground wire to existing grounding point.

To clarify the job above whats in the manual, first remove the door sill plastic molding by popping it straight up. Then remove the kick panel by removing the nut as shown in manual and pulling it rearward. You'll find the empty plug in there.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:58 AM   #63
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
Bill,

I did not drive the Ram long enough to compare fuel mileage, etc. However, in the past the Cummins was LOUD, but not so any more. It's no noiser if as noisy as my Duramax.

Also, in the past the Ram interior was sort of spartan, but not so now, it is VERY nice indeed. Also in the past, it was my experience the Ram rode rougher than a GM truck, but if anything now, it rides smoother.

So, in summation, it FEELS like it has more power than my Duramax, is just as quiet and maybe more quiet, seems to ride smoother, and is nicer inside. Now I am comparing my buddies '11 Ram to my '08 GMC 80K mile Duramax, and that may not be a fair comparison.

If I were in the market for a new pickup truck today, I would most definately consider a Dodge.
Now go drive a 2011 chevy and tell us what you think. There is even a new heavier frame in the new ones (as if they really needed one in the first place).
The new trucks from the Big 3 are all good now so buy whats comfortable and appealing to you.
Old 06-11-2011, 08:28 AM   #64
3 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
holland , Pennsylvania
the difference between a loaded f150 approx 50k and a f250 td or f350 td for 63k is giving alot of people sticker shock.in my area i am seeing alot cheaper trucks on the road.also see alot of larger trailers in campgrounds being towed by 1/2 ton pickups.i beleive this is a sign of the times.for me ill keep my 3/4 ton td as long as possible.
Old 06-11-2011, 09:03 AM   #65
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
You can get a very nicely loaded up F-250 with a gas engine for about the same money as a loaded up F-150 made to haul heavy. The advantage with the F-250 is that the springs, frame, shocks, tie rods, etc are all HD compaired to the F-150, which also makes it alot heavier to begin with. The down side of the F-250 is that generally less mileage than the F-150 solo. Towing, the advantage goes to the F-250 not so much with mileage as stability. If you can obtain an "X" plan pin, you will get the truck at $500 over invoice less any incentives, or you can just call around and ask if the dealer will sell at the X plan price. Dealers all make what's known as the "holdback" even at invoice they make plenty. Some dealers will actually negotiate into their holdback just to sell a vehicle. Best time to buy/lease is the end of the month.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 09:16 AM   #66
LFM
3 Rivet Member

2007 19' Safari SE
Laurel , Montana
My 4x4, towmax, supercrew ecoboost with most but not all the bells and whistles was $33,000. It is not the Leather Lariet, fanciest possible, but really like the truck. We are only towing a 19' Bambi. All the trucks in the half ton arena, Chevy, Toyota, Dodge, and Ford were more than capable for what we needed. The 11,300 lb towing is why I eneded up with the half ton ford.
And we use only regular gas, not premium as mentioned above by someone.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:00 AM   #67
1 Rivet Member

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Spring , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex View Post
Motor Trend article...IIRC...maybe Car/Driver...I get both...
I'll see if I can find the article...it was recent.

I believe the article said the ecb runs on premium fuel also?
This would make fueling up more expen$ive than deezul?
Is that true?

What are the mielage figures for ecb engine?

I am not knocking it, I think it is a great idea...for the right size load.
Just trying to understand if there is a real advantage.

Edit; From Ford.com
F150 XL = $22790
ECO Boost option + $4400.

I guess it really depends on how you build your truck, but if you look at base price, ECB= $4400

Bill
I just purchased an F-150 with the Eco Boost motor for $750. Also, my motor uses regular 87 gas. Rides great!
Old 06-11-2011, 02:14 PM   #68
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
One more little note on the Tundra-

This may be common for what I know, but I love this little feature:
It has a USB jack and will play audio from mass storage device. It will play from portable hard drive so long as it doesn't need separate power other than what comes from the USB source.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:26 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
It is not true that you need a 3/4 or a diesel in the mountains to tow a medium sized trailer. Our Tundra will scream up Vail Pass or Monarch Pass (both over 11,000') at 70 mph or better. It will cost a lot of gas, so I rarely go over 60 on those passes, but the Tundra 5.7 L. engine does it with no problems and the transmission temp hardly budges.

Gene
Old 06-11-2011, 05:37 PM   #70
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiresoon View Post
First time entry into this forum and I am looking for information. I am ready to buy a tow vehicle and my first airstream, and am shopping for both. I am looking for a 25' airstream and need information on the tow vehicle I should buy. Currently, I am shopping a Tundra and F-150. Any suggestions?
Thanks for the help...
A generic half-ton will be fine. If camping for extended periods (fulltiming) then a truck with greater payload will be the better choice as half-tons are quickly limited by tongue weight.

There are cars, suv's and minivans that will also suffice if certain conditions are met.

Can't resist this:

Our Tundra will scream up Vail Pass or Monarch Pass just like:

a little girl
a whipped dog
a Japanese truck

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote