Old 05-22-2011, 05:21 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
It has been posted on the Forum that the Tundra has more American parts than Ford, Chevy and Dodge. That seems to confuse the Buy American issue.

Our Tundra easily tows our 25'. I'm sure it would do well with a 27' or a 28'. With 1/2 ton trucks the issue is payload—weight of driver, passengers, cargo, tongue weight.

Toyota's vehicles are not made as well as they used to be, but still may be more reliable than anyone else's trucks.

If I were buying a tow vehicle today I'd check Chevy, Ford and Toyota—test drive, check specs, check reviews. There are endless threads here about what truck is best—do a search and read them and possibly get more confused.

Most everyone who will post has the best truck ever made.

Gene

Old 05-22-2011, 07:55 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
We just got our Excella two months ago. We looked at 25s and 27s but settled on a 30. Our GMC 1500 5.3 V8 was not up to the challenge. We did a LOT of research on a replacement TV. Knowledgeable mechanics pointed me away from Ford and Dodge, and to the 2007-2008 GMC or Chevy 2500HD 6.6 diesel with the Allison tranny. Got our 2008 Chevy and just got home from the first trip pulling with it. Heaven on Earth in the hilly Blue Ridge of Virginia compared to the gassey.

TAC VA-18 | WBAC 1927 - Shen. Valley Unit 149 | AIR 53869
https://www.linkedin.com/in/gheuer
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:46 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiresoon View Post
Thanks for all of the advice.

Does the axle ratio matter?
If you get a 6 speed transmission the gear ratio can be higher, for better fuel milage.

I tow a 25' Safari with a 1/2 ton 2010 Chevy Crew with a 6 speed tranny with a 5.3L gasser geared 3.42. I tow in the Appalachains regularly without a problem. I also pulled a 30' Excella with this truck untill last fall, but the trailer was too heavy in the mountains. Towing on flat or low hilly land from Michigan to Florida was ok.

My prior truck, a 2000 Chevy extended cab 4 door, had a 4 speed tranny with a 5.3L gasser geared 3.73. I puilled a 30' Excella ok in the flat lands, but going downhill in the mountains was not good. The truck was to light for the 30' trailer. I put 230,000 miles on this truck. Replaced water pump, alternator, battery, and brakes around 120,000 miles. Nothing else other than regular scheduled maintenance and tires.

If you go above a 25' trailer length I reccomend a 3/4 ton or larger if you go to the mountains.
Buy American made!
Old 05-22-2011, 08:55 PM   #18
Capt W

2013 31' Classic
Jefferson , Massachusetts
Just got through what you are facing. We bought a 25' Safari then bought the Ford F-250 Superduty diesel. A big factor was the positive reports about this truck from so many and our own impression when driving it. It is certainly more truck than needed for the 25 footer, but we took into consideration the possibility of upsizing in the future.
While we only have 1,500 miles on the truck and less than 600 towing the trailer we are very pleased. We have a good weight distribution hitch but no anti-sway system. We have not experienced any problems with sway so far despite being passed by many big rigs. My wife, who had no previous towing experience felt comfortable on the highway driving the TV with the AS.
Fuel economy is impressive, 20mpg without and 14mpg with the trailer.

It is quiet and with the full size cab, has plenty of room for passengers. It comes with 5 years of roadside assistance (lock out, fuel, flat tire).

We were able to get a deep discount from the sticker price due to current economic conditions. We are very happy with this truck so far.

Hope this helps.

Welcome aboard, Mary Joan, the Tin Wheeler

http://www.tinwheel.blogspot.com
wrochdvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:32 PM   #19
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
You get a much better trans, brakes, tires in a 3/4 ton
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:36 PM   #20
Capt W

2013 31' Classic
Jefferson , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by klattu View Post
You get a much better trans, brakes, tires in a 3/4 ton
Yes, that was another factor in our decision. Plus, we are far from maxing out the capabilities of the TV

Welcome aboard, Mary Joan, the Tin Wheeler

http://www.tinwheel.blogspot.com
wrochdvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:34 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Whatever you decide on, don't buy it, lease it. You can keep the truck for 2-3 years and basically only pay the depreciation. Plus, you only pay sales tax on the monthly payment, not on the whole price of the vehicle. If you like the truck after the lease is up, just buy it then. If you don't like it, then just turn it in and walk. The monthly payment on a lease is much less than if you bought it, and smart people take a second on their home, pay the lease term up front, and then they can write off the monthly house payment.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 09:43 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
BUY GM.............TOASTIE
YouTube - ‪See the USA in Your Chevrolet - Dinah Shore 1952‬‏
Old 05-30-2011, 10:25 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
OO , OO
Send a message via Skype™ to cruiser54
How would it be one with something thoroughbred? I love my Porsche Cayenne.....
Old 05-30-2011, 11:39 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Susanville , California
There will always be the battle of brands and that is what keeps things interesting and is up to personal tastes. When I purchased my 2000 Tundra it was made of something like 83% American parts. I think the next closest brand only had something like 48% American parts. I now have a 2010 Toyota Tundra Crew Max Limited 4x4 and have first hand knowledge of how it preforms and when and if I feel there is not enough power there is the TRD department of Toyota to help out. The dealer available supercharger bumps power to 500 hp and 505 lb. ft. of torque that can all be covered under under warranty if installed by a dealer. Know body else is offering that in a 1/2 ton.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	083.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	423.2 KB
ID:	131099   Click image for larger version

Name:	327.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	486.3 KB
ID:	131100  

Old 05-30-2011, 11:48 AM   #25
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
I think I saw a sign on the freeway leaving Dallas a few weeks back, something about the Tundras being built in San Antonio.

So they really are an international effort. Designed in Japan and assembled by Mexicans in Texas, out of American made parts. That's all good stuff.

Heck, I'm a life long Ford fan, but that almost sways me over, right there.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:03 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Ridgefield , Washington
We got a great deal on a F250 SD diesel last year. Thought it may be more truck than I needed but going over the Rockies last Fall I had absolutely no regrets.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
I had a 2009 Classic 25FB - towed all over the country via mountains, valleys, coast to coast, etc.

Towed it with both a V8 Cayenne S & Touareg TDI - the diesel based Touareg was superior to the Gas V8 with great gas mileage and tons of torque but....

Now granted, I have a ProPride hitch, and that helped quite a bit - STILL, when I towed with either German SUV - I had to make sure I kept everything in the middle or back of the TV, could place NOTHING in the TV but two passengers, and traveled ALWAYS with the tanks empty (and 1/2 loads in propane), again to help mitigate the tongue issue...

All I can say is SCALES ARE YOUR BEST FRIENDS when on the edge like I was.... The SUV's TOWED GREAT, especially the "T-Rex", and I mean towed GREAT - but always in the back of my mind was calculating weights, wondering if everything was properly loaded, and wishing I could bring more stuff out on the road with me like my generator, bikes, people, etc....

Now I have a Super Duty Ford (The Green Manalishi), and the few times I towed the 25FB before she was swapped for a 30 Classic was nice, only because I could load the truck up with five people, generator, beach chairs, bikes - and put all my clothes and toys away in the 25FB, using all that storage space, max propane in the tanks, not worrying if the tanks were empty - using the trailer like it was made too and I had a much happier experience with less stress (nice not having to worry if my custom brake controller harness was going to dump a relay)... Heck, I can even carry water with me now, imagine that!

Guess I'm trying to say - you can make some TV's tow safely if you keep cognizant of your weights - or you can step away from the edge of the envelope, take a deep breath, and load her up (within TV & Trailer limitations of course).

BTW - I credit the ProPride hitch for such a stable ride with the short wheel base of both my German SUV's - still use it on the Super Duty - best hitch system ever made in my opinion.
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:10 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

1978 25' Tradewind
Susanville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
I think I saw a sign on the freeway leaving Dallas a few weeks back, something about the Tundras being built in San Antonio.

So they really are an international effort. Designed in Japan and assembled by Mexicans in Texas, out of American made parts. That's all good stuff.

Heck, I'm a life long Ford fan, but that almost sways me over, right there.
So when you purchased your Ford which country and it's people did you support???? Most people I know that drive Fords and it is a lot, have their ford emblems covered up and if I was to buy anything other than a Toyota it would be a Ford.