Old 07-13-2002, 04:16 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Hays County , Texas
Rule of thumb

If you go by the 75% rule of thumb, you would need a tow vehicle capable of towing about 9500#.

To read about the rule-of-thumb, follow the link below:

http://www.popuptimes.com/articles/a...eofthumb_1.asp

WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 05:30 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

That link seemed informative John. I remember how my car performed at Yellowstone both times last year. I like the "High Country" and believe the 75 % rule and altitude compensations are realistic. I am still trying to decide between a 19' and a 25' trailer but feel that I should choose a vehicle that is suitable for either unit. I think the 19' is extremely versatile in the close quarters of mountain campsites but a 25' would offer more creature comfort for other adventures. I did see one 23' Safari advertised that might be ideal.

I thought about Davidís comments; Though I have never had a 4X4, I would have used it to fly fish in places that I have never seen if I did own one. Again, with my love for the "High Country" and hopes of immigrating to Cody I keep thinking that 4X4 is essential. But I am still waiting for the attorneys to release my assets so I use the time to consider all options.

I look forward to any travel with my Airstream.

Thanks for the help Gentemen.

Old 07-14-2002, 06:57 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Jay,
How many people will you be taking with you? This is another consideration on the type of vehicle you choose. I have an ext. cab 2500hd and people have not complained about sitting in the back seat for trips of several hundred miles. Kids would be fine back there. Full size adults for longer trips would prefer a crewcab in a truck or at least a 4 door Tahoe unless you work out a switch of passengers from front to back and vice versa. 2 or 3 would be fine in a 25' and to tell the truth, I eventually want to downsize to a 25' later. I also have thought about taking my 31' to some areas in TN. where there are trout streams and I don't have to rush from home in the morning or drive back at night to have a place to sleep. Motel prices keep going up like crazy. A 4X4 would get you to some out of the way places after you have parked your trailer. I'm just rambling as I throw my thoughts out there.

If you decide on a 4X4 and decide on the Ford F250 ext. cab, take a close look at the back seats. I looked at a used F250 diesel, 1999 I think, and the back seats were hard as a rock and small to boot. The '01 had better seats and felt comfortable to my 6' frame. I have been pleased with the back seat of my '01 2500hd but have only ridden back there once.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2002, 07:39 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

David, Where are the trout in Tenn. ? I am new to trout fishing and have only fished Wyomong, Montanna and Oklahoma so far. Oklahoma has a beautiful park with rainbow trout about 4 hours from me. I really like going there because the deer, raccoons, beaver and bald eagles are entertaining.
It's just me, no family, so I think the extended cab provides enough in cab storage of gear and allows for reclining seats for rest stops.

I think you are right when considering a back seat. I have considered that a crew cab might be good for passengers if I decide to try guiding when I relocate. The back seat of the extended cab is only storage behind the seat and similar to a regular cab. I relly don't like large vehicles and thought an extended cab truck with short bed would be the smaller unit. Since I have discarded the Landrover idea, I have started considering the practicality of a truck bed over an SUV for moving and hauling stuff.

John mentioned the Calif RV dealer. I looked at the link and the guy suggest not using beefed uo suspensions for Airstreams. I am converned because I was considering a 4X4 with 4 inch lift. Though the new Dodge 1500 4X4 I test drove felt soft the Ford F-250 felt stiff.

Thanks your thoughts. I feel I should apply as much attention to equipment selection as I would to a pre flight check.
Old 07-15-2002, 09:48 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Jay,
If the 4X4 you are looking at does indeed have a 4" aftermarket lift kit then be aware that these kits come in a "softride" version and a stiffer version. You need to find out what kind of kit was installed. Also be aware that hitch heigth is higher and will you be able to find an adjustable drawbar that will allow you to mount your equalizer hitch so that the trailer is level.

If it were me, I'd look for an extended cab 4X4 Chevy 2500 light weight 8600 lb. rather than the 2500hd heavy duty 9200 lb. These trucks had 5.7 liter engines or 454 and the newer ones have 6 liter or 8.1 engines. You could get away with a 2500 light weight with a 6 liter engine and probably be happy with either the 19' Bambi or the 25' models. If you like the Ford, a newer F250 ext. cab with 5.4 could fit the bill.

I purchased an ext. cab for just the reason you mentioned, to have plenty of space to put stuff on the floor or on the back seat. The crewcabs were really comfortable but just too long for some of the areas I would be deer hunting on logging roads.
Old 07-15-2002, 01:14 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

Gas or Diesel

Very interesting David. I have begun to expect less of the small gas engine and was thinking that the larger ones would drink the gas.
The 5.4 L 4X4 that I test drove felt like a lot of torque but with my lack of experience it was not convincing. I bet the 5.4 is economical whennot towing. The diesel did make think it could do the job anywhere, anytime. I spent the past evening plugging in numbers to a hitch formula for the receiver stub selection for a lifted vehicle. I had not taked the real measurement and was just playing with approximate numbers but it looked like the hitch manufacturer ( Equallizer) has an off the shelf component. I did notice that Hensley offers an exchange policy but I have not enquired. The Hensley is pricey and I hav enot yet concluded the need. I have read that Hensley owners are satisfied.
Old 07-15-2002, 02:43 PM   #49
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Jay,
If price is not a consideration, buy a 2500hd with the Duramax diesel engine and Allison auto transmission starting in '01. They are a great combination and will beat the pants off the Ford Power Stroke Diesel engine. I bought the 8.1 for the towing ability and the fact that I didn't like the diesel noise. Maybe my mistake because the Duramax is considerably more quiet than the Ford PSD and the Cummins engine. I believe it was 4 Wheeler magazine ran an 8.1 against the Duramax and the Duramax held its own. Owners have been getting 18 mpg towing and over 20 on the highway without a load. I can't beat that with my 8.1. Test drive one and you might be suprised. I test drove the Ford PSD '99 and the '01 V-10 and were disappointed in both.

The 6 liter and the 8.1 Chevy engines, according to some of the threads at www.pickuptrucks.com site get about the same mileage in towing. The 6 gets better mileage on the highway than the 8.1 when not towing but the 8.1 has the grunt way out in front of the 6 when towing. The Duramax beats both in torque and mileage.

The Hensley is a nice rig but at $3,000 you wouldn't need it with the 19' or 25' unless you just had the money to burn.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:11 AM   #50
1 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Austin , Texas
Hi Airstream experts,
I am a complete newbie--just purchased a used 19-ft Signature International, and yesterday I bought the tow vehicle, but am now very worried I got an underpowered vehicle, even though the trailer weight rating is 6,800 lbs. Here's what I'm now reading in the manual: for my 2016 Toyota Tacoma SR5, 2WD:
-If the gross trailer weight exceeds 3,000 lbs (which it does), it is recommended to use a trailer with 2 or more axles. (the 19-ft only has one axle and is 3,800 lbs with a maximum weight of 4,500 lbs).
HELP! Can anyone offer any advice that will help me make sense of this? I have three days to return the truck if need be! Thank you for any help you can give!
Old 02-21-2017, 08:12 AM   #51
1 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Austin , Texas
Oh, and it's a v6 with towing package--which is why the TWR is 6,800 instead of 3,500.