Old 06-24-2002, 09:50 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

wireline

Dave: Schlumberger was about the only wireline I did not work with though I worked with companies that wer satelites.
I loved wireline. I especially loved wireline when we used airplanes. Those were the days. Later when it all crumbled wealthy men became animals and thier companies started treating men as slaves which is why and how I became disabled.
I developed the "electronic tools" and built, repaired, modified the trucks and equipment. One of my favorites was directional drilling.
I only worked out of Corpus once and then the well was hundreds of miles away, somewhere near the King ranch I think. I remember seeing wild turkeys.

I looked at the Porche SUV Twin turbo web site. It would be a fun unit.

I am missing this season of fly fishing at Yellowstone but next season will grand with an Airstream. By then I should be proficient at towing as well.

Old 06-24-2002, 10:08 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Jay,
I remember a day in the late 60's when, in my dad's office in downtown C.C., I told him I wanted to become a petroleum geologist. He said, "Sit down son, we need to have a talk. I don't think it is the best job for you." He went on to explain why it wasn't but, to tell you the truth, I can't remember the reasons. It was sometime later that the exodus from TX. started with geologists now out of work and I wonder if he saw something I never could. He has been gone now for 10 yrs. but you bring back some good memories of those late nights on the rigs when I got a chance to be with him. Thanks.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 09:11 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Edina , Minnesota
Jay,

With a 19' I wouldn't be afraid of the Land Rover for occasional towing. They have plenty of power and are a terrific, fun vehicle. The Range Rover is even better than the Discovery off road. I don't think there is a better stock off road vehicle made. I have pulled 2 HumVees out of the muck in northern Minnesota without strain.

But...for more frequent towing with a larger unit like the 25 footer the short wheelbase of the Land Rover's won't do. The new 2003 Range Rover (another inclredible looking vehicle) has a longer wheelbase, but still not like a Ford, Yukon, etc. The other towing problem with the Rover products is the very reason they are so good off-road. They have incredible vertical wheel travel, 9-11 inches depending on the model, but this gives the truck too much opportunity for sway, body roll, etc. Plus, even the 6500 # capacity of the Range Rover is too low for the larger trailers.

As much as I wanted to stick with the Rover vehicle for their versatility and "wow factor" I ended up with a 2001 Yukon. It truly does do a great job towing the A/S. The "Tow/Haul mode is a nice feature. The GMC truck does everything well, nothing amazing. I do miss the quality of fit and finish and all out fun of the Rover, but I feel much safer on the road with the Yukon.
Old 06-25-2002, 09:19 AM   #32

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Re: Airstream purchase

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay_Iski

Does anyone have any suggestions for a dealer" Also, what is a reasonable price? Airstream factory suggested that I offer a lower bid than advertised to a dealer because the new 2003 models will be desired at dealerships.
Jay,
From what I have heard over the years, a good negotiating start for any new travel trailer is 25% off list. I attempted that when I bought my Safari but was quickly told by my local dealer that Safari's don't have as much mark up as the classic line trailers. We ended up at 18 %.

I know one fellow in Vermont who negotiated over the Internet with a dealer in Kansas City MO. He bought a year old 25' Safari which was new on the dealers lot. He paid about $25,000 which was quite a good deal.

I thought long and hard on purchasing out of town. I could have saved another $350 if I had bought from a dealer in Ohio, but I figured that I would rather give my business to the local guy since he supported the local community and WBCCI.

BTW, I had called that same Kansas City dealer prior to buying my Safari. He wouldn't negotiate with me since I had a local dealer. He said he didn't want to take his sales.

Bottom line surf the dealers on the web, call and get some prices. You eventually will be able to get some ideas of a price to negotiate.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2002, 09:28 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Edina , Minnesota
Jay,
Regarding the pricing of the A/S units. I bought my 1999 25C new in January of 2000 and got it for $9,000 off the sticker price. That is probably a deeper discount than most dealer as they were changing ownership and wanted to get rid of all of the bank-financed units on the showroom floor. Before I bought, however, I called a couple other dealers and they agreed that it was an incredible price, but not below their cost.

The message is that if they have inventory that they want to move, I believe you can do some good, hard-nosed negotiating. New A/S trailers are not fast movers for a dealer if they also stock cheaper rigs. Remember that you may have service needs from the dealer and that they have a reasonable expectation to make a profit on each sale, so consider the value of that when you look at the dealers.

Lastly, check the Better Business Bureau for their complaint history. They may have a great looking dealership, be great at sales, and be still deliver pathetic service.
Old 07-03-2002, 04:21 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Off topics

Dave and all..
Just reading abt your 'fun' cars of the past..I believe we've all had those~Too bad we didn't keep em~!! (or did you?)
My first fun car was a brand new 67 Firebird..deep green and black interior. lov'd it~! Till I saw this British sports car traveling down the road one day. Took my breath away so much so, I followed it back to the dealership..Before I left there, I had bought it~~! I don't reckon many had heard of the TVR's??
Mine was one of the rarest of rare TVR, called the "widebody" TVR Tuscan, (of which there was only abt 12 or so made..mine was the 10th one to roll out of the factory)which sported a Boss 302 blueprint engine, Shelby transmission and, a 427 Cobra rear end..Did this thing smoke~!! Once blew away a GTO Judge with it on the Jersey Parkway..Even outran the state police once in Ohio with it..lmao No way I'd try that today...
Just thought I'd share some fond memories lurking in the deep brain cell compartment. lol
Happy motorin to ya`!!
ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 01:11 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Cars

Vern,
While at the Ford dealerships shopping for a tow vehicle last week, I noticed a new canary yellow Thunderbird 2 seater on the showroom floors. I tried not to get too interested because I can't afford an Airstream in the first place but it was nice to see it there. I did ask the salesman, "when would they have a Ford GT-40"? That was the car I always wanted. I think it will be a GT-44 instead.

Thanks for tow vehicle ideas y’all. I feel more informed now.
By the way, received my WBCCI (North Texas Unit) application in the mail this week.
Jay
Old 07-03-2002, 01:44 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Talking GT40

I saw the one that was a backup for the LeMans race(either the 67 or 68) at a Ford dealership in Mich, on Woodward Ave..Seems at that time ('69) he was sayin it was worth abt 65k?? lol, I remember the broad blue strips and, the gas tanks on thecar/ drivers doors..I think it had a Ford 289 in it..located in the rear behind the driver.but, not your standard 289 by any means...
Needless to say, My TVR car raised quite a few eyebrows!!!
It was Red(maroon) with black interior, serial number was MAL010
meaning the tenth one made out of 12 possiblely. Known as the 'WIDE BODY' TVR TUSCAN V8 series. It was shipped to this country without an engine, transmission or rear axle..all custom installed. Top sped was expect to be abt 160mph..I had it up to atleast 135 to 140mph when I blew away a GTO Judge in it..enough of that...just memories now..
great news Jay~!
Gawd, must be gettin old..talkin abt this...lmao
ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 10:41 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Cool How about this...

A 19' Bambi would look cool behind a silver or pewter PT Cruiser! I think they only come in 4 cylinder though.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2002, 10:54 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Your mileage may vary....

Last weekends trip to Kinzua Dam and Titusville, PA, some freeway, city, country driving, LOTS of hills, with AC on 70% of the time, I averaged 9.5 mpg, which surprised me, I was expecting 8.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 02:11 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

Lifted Suspension

Gentlemen, I am becoming acclimated to the idea of using a truck instead of a light SUV to towing. I looked at a Ford F-250 4X4 with 4 inch lift kit with factory wheels and almost stock tires. I wonder if the suspension would be incompatible with towing a new Airstream?
Any thoughts on lifted suspension. I have no experience with 4X4 trucks.
Thanks,
Jay
Jayiski@airmail.net
Old 07-12-2002, 02:21 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Re: Lifted Suspension

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay_Iski
Gentlemen, I am becoming acclimated to the idea of using a truck instead of a light SUV to towing. I looked at a Ford F-250 4X4 with 4 inch lift kit with factory wheels and almost stock tires. I wonder if the suspension would be incompatible with towing a new Airstream?
Any thoughts on lifted suspension. I have no experience with 4X4 trucks.
Thanks,
Jay
Jayiski@airmail.net
I think if you check out towing capacity 2 wheel drive trucks have greater capacity. If you haven't already run the numbers on the truck and trailer do so. I learned everything I know about towing from the RV groups it is very interesting what you learn. All the knowledge I picked up paid off on my first trip when I was caught in a storm on a causeway over open water. The storm was so severe that it shut down the causeway. I was very glad I had setup everything the correct way.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 01:29 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Jay,
You see a lot of recommendations for 3/4 ton trucks for trailers in the 23-31' category because they have the suspension, brakes and the engines available to handle the job. They also have available a diesel capability for better mileage. 4X4 is helpful when you are talking about slippery areas you might go to such as a hunting site or if you expect bad roads when you travel. Now is the time to ask yourself:

1. Do I really need 4 wheel drive? If not, don't buy it. It hurts your gas mileage and is more expensive.

2. Do I really want a truck, even an extended cab or crewcab?
Larger vehicles are not good on gas.

3. If I decide that I want an SUV, what size do I want? The Durango would probably tow your 19' Bambi fine with the towing package and right rear end ratio. A Tahoe would also do fine. Do you really need to go to the larger Suburban?

4. Do I plan definately on going to a larger trailer within the next 5 years? If so, maybe a 3/4 ton is the way to go. If not, why go there?

These things are critical when talking larger trailers but you have more room to work with. I also remember that when looking up specs, the 2 wheel drives handle slightly more load because they don't have the heavy 4X4 drivetrain components.

Hope this helps. Craig

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2002, 03:44 PM   #42
CBBOB

1976 31' Sovereign
1992 30' Airstream 30
El Dorado Hills , California
I have a Dakota with the 4.7 and a 31ft A/S, and I have only used the truck to move it a very short distance. The max towing weight is 6700. I had a friend tow it to our summer campground with Ram desiel 4x4 and he had no problem. I plan to upgrade to something more capable, but I am not sure how much towing capacity I need in excess of the gross trailer weight of 7100 lbs.
Any rule of thumb?