Old 01-16-2006, 10:51 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1992 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
which tow vehicle?

I have a decision to make regarding our future tow vehicle and would like advice before going forward. I recently moved from indiana to oregon and towed our 31ft sovereign to Salem using our 1991 350 burb w/ TBI and aftermarket tranny cooler and over-sized radiator and 1-ton rearend w/ 4.10 gear. But it also has 200,000 miles on her. We had no troubles except a little ice and snow in wyoming. All in all it was a great trip w/ the fam. Since arriving in Or. we have been given a 1999 burb 5.7L vortec w/ tow package 3.73 rearend and 98,000 miles. My Question is, What tow vehicle should we keep and which should we sell? Both need some $ invested on them but I don't know which to invest in. Any thoughts?
Wayne

Old 01-16-2006, 11:50 PM   #2
_

. , .
hi wayne

that's easy......trade both for a f 250 psd !

what year is the 31? it should be within the tow rating for either, right?

really it depends on how much towing and everyday driving are expected.....

if the t.v. will only go out occasionally and isn't a daily driver, i'd keep the 91. it won't cost much to maintain and won't lose much value kept as a tow only spare. the 99 would be bring more cash to use now....

if lots of miles towing are expected and the suburban will also be used regularly as a high mileage daily driver, i'd keep the 99 and up rate for the towing needs. it has lots of life left and has more value as a full use ride. while using the 91 for long trips bring the risk of breakdowns/wearouts while traveling.....

however the wisest choice may have more to do with how the 99 was acquired......if it's from the inlaws......well, there's only one correct choice.

cheers
2air'

Old 01-17-2006, 12:29 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1992 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
2air'
Thanks for the input. What I wouldn't give for a ford PSD but the wife and kids would die if I got away from the "burb" space. 2days into our trip I was glad for the extra spacein the suv as my 3kids can't be touching each other at any time. If the burb were a little longer and 1 more seat, each could have their own seat. Fortunately the '99 comes w/ no strings attached so I am free to do whatever. The 31ft sovereign is a '77 and the weight is okay for either although it was slower going up 5 and 6 degree grades. I am wondering about this wear and tear on the tv though. I am prety sure the tranny on the 81 needs an overhaul as it has been shifting harder since getting here in the oregon hills. I wonder what the cost would be to upgrade to a newer 2500 burb?
Wayne
Old 01-17-2006, 12:51 AM   #4
_

. , .
ahhh kids that can't touch each other.........yes i see.

is the older one a 81 or 91? what will the vehicle do when not towing?

a newer (2001-04) will cost more than keeping the 99 otoh with fuel prices as they are and the 'new' price reduction from gm, the discounts on these nearly new 'burbs are big too..... are you in portland/urban zone....if so the quadrasteer suburban would be nice....and was available on the 2500 i think...but a rare beast.

i still think how much towing, how long the trips and projected daily driving matter.

also insurance cost is much less on an older rig....especially if seldom used. if however it's an everyday do everything daily driver...newer is better...

i'm sure others will chime in tomorrow..

cheers
2air'
Old 01-17-2006, 01:06 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
1992 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Salem , Oregon
Thanks 2air'

We live in the Salem area 45 minutes south of Portland. Its a 1991 and we will take about 4 or 5 trips a year in the Or/N. Cal area.

The 91 will sit because its a rough ride w/ the 1ton dually rearend. The wife hates to drive it. If we keep the 99 it will become my all purpose vehicle, back and forth to work and errands.

I'd love to hear about more info on the 2500 burb.

Talk to you later,

Wayne