Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-12-2015, 12:58 PM   #21
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I have some magic beans I would be willing to sell a number of you. Please PM me for details.

Like I said folks, traction control/electronic stability control for your trailer.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:10 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I just got of the phone with Blue Ox. Talked to two different folks. Told them what was posted here and they did not know what I was talking about. In fact both said it was a totally incorrect statement. They would like to know the name of the employee the OP talked too. Sounds like they have a training refresher in mind for the employee.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:37 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Tucson , Arizona
Thanks for all the replies

Thanks Awchief for making that call to Blue Ox. That is hard to believe that their "Tech Support" was so misinformed.
and thanks to everyone else for the assistance as well!
Lucky Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:59 PM   #24

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Before I worked down through all the posts to see AWCHIEF's report of a conversation w/ the Blue Ox rep, I was going to ask if you perhaps talked with him right after their lunch hour, perhaps he's old school and did the 3-martini lunch.

To their credit, Ford's info says a tendency to sway probably indicates that your trailer is improperly loaded or you're going too fast, and suggests you correct that rather than relying on their system completely. They don't seem to claim to do anything with the trailer brakes, just the truck brakes. I'd say that a hitch that reduces sway coupled with the anti-sway braking system would be a GOOD combination, someday when I buy a newer truck I'm still going to use a sway-reducing hitch.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 03:12 PM   #25
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
I had a 2012 F150 (Ecoboost) and currently, a 2015 GMC Sierra 2500. Both have the sway control that work by rapid, selective pulse braking when the need arises (or so I've been told). Fortunately, I've not been in a situation where I've needed panic sway control...

My understanding is that the two systems work together in a complementary fashion to straighten out the truck & trailer in the event the trailer begins to sway and the truck begins to fishtail.

Whatever the mechanism, I'm glad the setup is so equipped!
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:07 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Kenmore , Washington
I have a 2014 F-150 with sway control and a Blue Ox hitch, and they both work well. The F-150 sway control has kicked in briefly twice, and it seemed to do exactly what others have said. I tow a 2014 26FB Flying Cloud, and I am satisfied will all parts of this rig.
MitchR55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:35 AM   #27
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Read Andrew_T s review of the TUSON trailer mounted electronic anti-sway. Comes in faster than the OEM (Ford). See CAN AM RV website and links to Hitch Hints column.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:34 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Read Andrew_T s review of the TUSON trailer mounted electronic anti-sway. Comes in faster than the OEM (Ford). See CAN AM RV website and links to Hitch Hints column.
Of course it does. Vehicle sway control comes into play after trailer sway starts. The vehicle yaw sensors have to see a sway condition at the rear of the truck (waddle) in order to take action. If the 1) hitch system does it's job, neither system will engage 2) if trailer sway starts, I would hope the trailer system is fast enough to stop it before the truck sees it 3) If neither of the above stop sway, the truck system would do it's thing.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote