Old 08-11-2015, 09:13 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
1979 31' Sovereign
Spring , Texas
When in doubt about what is required on your vehicle and trailer for towing, your best bet is to check into the regulations of your state. (And any state you plan to travel in.) If your trailer is over a certain weight you may be required to have a hitch system on it for sway control. Never mind what a sales person tells you, or the rest of us, for that matter. You can pretty much bet "the law" will have the last word.

Starstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 10:44 AM   #16
2006 22' International CCD
Estes Park , Colorado
I pull with a 2014 F-150 with an equalizer hitch. The sway control feature on the truck is the default and I leave it on when towing. Last week while traveling north on I-25 in Longmont, CO, I was in the right lane doing 60 mph. Both lanes of traffic to my left were doing 75+. A Jeep Wrangler in the far left lane moved into the middle lane, I guess without looking, and smashed into the car in the middle lane, which sent it fishtailing into my lane. I braked hard, swerved to the shoulder and sent Yertle into a sway that I was able to control until I could get stopped. A very scary experience, but I assumed from that experience that everything worked as it should have, and that the two systems did not work at odds with each other. Would you agree?

Terry P. Rizzuti, "Yertle"

"My two cents is worth every penny."
TRizzuti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:08 AM   #17
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The Hensley/ProPride design eliminates the possibility of sway with our Airstream. The truck's electronic system may be useful when towing the boat or utility trailer.

I wish the Blue Ox rep would explain his statement about hitch and electronic sway control fighting each other, not the first time I've heard it.
Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:14 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
2008 16' International
San Antonio , Texas
This last trip I made an instinctive jerk to the left on my steering wheel when I noticed I was drifting over to a construction barrier on the right. I have a WD setup but the truck flashed the Sway Control being activated before I even knew I should take any action to corrected it.

I have a 2013 F150 pulling a small 16' Interstate so I really didn't think I needed any additional system to control sway. So I think the WD hitch did its job and the truck took over by itself when I needed more than what it could handle.

I love my Ford!
Rjpuckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:34 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member
2009 34' Panamerica
2008 22' Safari
Metro Detroit Area & Metro Dallas Area , Michigan & Texas
E. Hemingway warned us of THIS

I've used my '10 Tundra w/hitch sway controllers AND OEM electronic sway control. Have NOT had problems!! This forum would have caught fire if any of what was told you was true. It's like saying your tow vehicle's brakes will not work with your brake controller!
Urbanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:51 PM   #20

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Unfortunately Ford's description of how this anti-sway feature works is very limited other than giving me the impression that it has control of individual wheel braking. I know GM had a feature called Stabil Track that was on their vans that was introduced back on 2004 per 2005. It also did individual wheel braking. I'm wondering if the Ford system interacts with the trailer brakes?

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:58 PM   #21
Full Time Adventurer
2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I have some magic beans I would be willing to sell a number of you. Please PM me for details.

Like I said folks, traction control/electronic stability control for your trailer.
Family of 4 living, working & exploring the USA in our Airstream.
BoldAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:10 PM   #22
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I just got of the phone with Blue Ox. Talked to two different folks. Told them what was posted here and they did not know what I was talking about. In fact both said it was a totally incorrect statement. They would like to know the name of the employee the OP talked too. Sounds like they have a training refresher in mind for the employee.
WBCCI 10656 Southeastern Camping Unit
Associate European Unit
2006 Safari LS 23 ft
Formerly 1964 Bambi II

"I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell"
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:37 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member
Tucson , Arizona
Thanks for all the replies

Thanks Awchief for making that call to Blue Ox. That is hard to believe that their "Tech Support" was so misinformed.
and thanks to everyone else for the assistance as well!
Lucky Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:59 PM   #24

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Before I worked down through all the posts to see AWCHIEF's report of a conversation w/ the Blue Ox rep, I was going to ask if you perhaps talked with him right after their lunch hour, perhaps he's old school and did the 3-martini lunch.

To their credit, Ford's info says a tendency to sway probably indicates that your trailer is improperly loaded or you're going too fast, and suggests you correct that rather than relying on their system completely. They don't seem to claim to do anything with the trailer brakes, just the truck brakes. I'd say that a hitch that reduces sway coupled with the anti-sway braking system would be a GOOD combination, someday when I buy a newer truck I'm still going to use a sway-reducing hitch.

Il Carriaggio 1975 Argosy 24 | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 03:12 PM   #25
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
I had a 2012 F150 (Ecoboost) and currently, a 2015 GMC Sierra 2500. Both have the sway control that work by rapid, selective pulse braking when the need arises (or so I've been told). Fortunately, I've not been in a situation where I've needed panic sway control...

My understanding is that the two systems work together in a complementary fashion to straighten out the truck & trailer in the event the trailer begins to sway and the truck begins to fishtail.

Whatever the mechanism, I'm glad the setup is so equipped!
Bill & Kim
34 Classic Limited w/slideout (Anabelle)
Chevy Silverado * 2500HD Duramax * LTZ
WBCCI 7005 * AIR 9218

The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:07 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Kenmore , Washington
I have a 2014 F-150 with sway control and a Blue Ox hitch, and they both work well. The F-150 sway control has kicked in briefly twice, and it seemed to do exactly what others have said. I tow a 2014 26FB Flying Cloud, and I am satisfied will all parts of this rig.
MitchR55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 02:35 AM   #27
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
Read Andrew_T s review of the TUSON trailer mounted electronic anti-sway. Comes in faster than the OEM (Ford). See CAN AM RV website and links to Hitch Hints column.
1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 05:34 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
Read Andrew_T s review of the TUSON trailer mounted electronic anti-sway. Comes in faster than the OEM (Ford). See CAN AM RV website and links to Hitch Hints column.
Of course it does. Vehicle sway control comes into play after trailer sway starts. The vehicle yaw sensors have to see a sway condition at the rear of the truck (waddle) in order to take action. If the 1) hitch system does it's job, neither system will engage 2) if trailer sway starts, I would hope the trailer system is fast enough to stop it before the truck sees it 3) If neither of the above stop sway, the truck system would do it's thing.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote