Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2009, 07:45 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by redeagle313 View Post
Not entirely true, the 2007 Silverado Classics were built for more than half of the '07 model year and they also have the same LBZ diesel and emission equipment that the '06 did. Production of the LMM diesel trucks started in early calender year '07 and are referred to by many as 07.5's.
Hey Redeagle...now that the LBZ vs LMM debate has had a few years...is it still the general thought that maybe the LBZ is "better" than the newer LMM? I am thinking of looking for a 2007 Classic...as opposed to one of the newer LMMs.

LBZ better mileage...less technical hassles? How are they (LBZ) doing with the low sulphur fuel?

Any comments would be appreciated...Tom R in Two Harbors, MN
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:33 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
la mesa , California
I have a 2002 2500HD 6.0 as a work truck 14 mpg. city or hwy. and I do calculate my mpg. regularly. I had a 1987 ford diesel as my previous work truck. The diesel was very expensive to repair everything double or triple the
cost of a gasser. Just my 2 cents worth.
Ron Edwords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 07:47 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Conway View Post
I like my 07 Duramax crewcab. The difference in power and all around towning capability is like night and day compared to the '99 1500 Suburban gasser we used to have to tow our '88 25ft A/S. The satisfaction you get with the diesel and the 6 speed allison will outweigh any fancy do dads you feel you need if you are looking to save some money. Ours is the WT (Work truck) model with vinyl floors, manual crank-up windows, manual door locks, and cloth seats. I had cruise control added and all they had to do was replace the wiper/turn signal arm with one that had cruise on it and it plugged into the computer via a plug in the steering column. My wife has gotten used to carrying her own keys to lock/unlock her side of the truck. The down side of the 07 is the low sulphur engine, owners manual says not to run the Mexican diesel in it.

My two cents, hope this helps, Pat
Pat, I can run Mexican diesel fuel in my truck with no problems, as a matter of fact, it runs better on it. My truck has the LBZ engine in it and is an 07 Classic. If you have the LMM then you shouldn't run the Mexican fuel.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:43 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR View Post
Hey Redeagle...now that the LBZ vs LMM debate has had a few years...is it still the general thought that maybe the LBZ is "better" than the newer LMM? I am thinking of looking for a 2007 Classic...as opposed to one of the newer LMMs.

LBZ better mileage...less technical hassles? How are they (LBZ) doing with the low sulphur fuel?

Any comments would be appreciated...Tom R in Two Harbors, MN
I have not experienced any issues with ULSD, and I have never come across any place that had the low sulphur diesel. I do use Stanadyne Performance formula additive and I get pretty decent mileage. 19 to 20 mpg @ 65mph not towing and 14 to 15 mpg towing at 60mph.
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:26 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
what ever truck you get, make sure the first digit in the V.I.N. is a "1"

it stands for country of origin (build)

1 is USA

2 Canada

3 Mexico

I know when I buy a Ford Truck, I always order it out of the Kntucky truck plant. There line is somethin. Even used, I want it made there.

I had a stone fly up take out my windsheild. When It got replaced I called down to the plant, talked to the union rep, and a line man they sent me up a new one, and 2 spare's. (window stickers) They are proud of there finished product, and make them right. are proud to put there name on them, and want it known, by putting there signature on it.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote