Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-20-2017, 07:25 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zybane View Post
I was quite disappointed when I found out my RAM Power Wagon was made in Mexico.
The 1500 series Ram is assembled in Warren, MI. Only the heavy duty models (2500 up) are assembled in Saltillo. This may change in the future as Chrysler shuffles their assembly plants around.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:05 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cando View Post
After being driven to frustration with several GM trucks (one even burst into flames with 4,000 miles on it on Memorial Day on the expressway at 70 mph stranding us 250 miles from home) followed shortly by our last one that had 3 major Allison Transmission failures in less than 100,000 miles (the last repair took a month and cost over $5,000) we went to a Tundra. The 07 went 121,000 trouble free miles and the 12 is just rolling over 100,000 miles now. My question is, and has always been, when someone says that Tundra profits go back to Japan, does anyone know how much money we are actually talking about? Just curious.
There are lemons coming out of all factories. The worst car I ever owned was a Volvo, and that was the only Volvo I ever bought. I drove my 1997 Tahoe for a trouble free 250,000 miles. The only part ever replaced was the fuel pump. I sold it for $ 2,500 and last I heard it was still running.
Our Ford Service trucks with the V-10 are driven 200,000 miles
routinely.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:03 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
The country of origin of the vehicle company where it was finally assembled doesn't make a helluva lot of difference anymore. While I am satisfied my Toyota Tacoma was assembled in Texas, parts come from all over the world. The engines, I believe, are sent from Japan. There are content rules that determine how things get labeled, but the rules, I think, only cover the end part which may itself be a sub-assembly with offshore components. The workers in Toyotas' Texas plant are mainly Mexican(-Americans). The robots come from Germany in some cases. People from anywhere in the world can buy stock in the Toyota company. The biggest difference in point of assembly is taxation, but Trump sez he is gonna change that, too.
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:30 PM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
I agree with USAtraveler. It doesn't make any difference where the vehicles are assembled, the outcome difference is quality control, quality of parts, motivation, training and retraining of the workforce.

Edward Deming was successful in Japan because he had a blank slate and receptive audience to work with rather than an entrenched culture of "this is the way we have always done it" with union work rules.
Steve
Old 03-20-2017, 10:22 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

2015 31' Classic
Upstate , New York
I bought my 2004 f250 from the original owner. It is union made in the USA. I love my "beast" and have never been dissappointed in quality of the truck, it's parts, or the work provided by the dealerships.

I like the idea of supporting manufacturing jobs in this country and am willing to invest in products made in usa by employees that get good wages and benefits. I was a union worker my entire life and I like to pass on my support in my community this way, too. Made locally, by well trained and motivated workers who get good benefits. I had a ford f150, and a 1973 comet similarly configured. And I also own a 2013 c-max.

Yes, there are parts from other locations, but I buy them made here. Makes me happy to support good, well paid workers
They deserve it. And my vehicles, often bought used, last me a looong time.
Scooter241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:37 PM   #46
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
I remembered reading this in US News & World Report in the past when I bought my Ram:

"Least American Large Truck: Ford F-Series

Full-size truck buyers may be surprised that the Toyota Tundra uses more domestic parts than any of its rivals. With 80 percent of its parts from the U.S. and Canada, the Tundra is 10 percent more American than its closest domestic rival, the Dodge Ram, and significantly more American than the Ford F-Series, which gets 40 percent of its parts from other countries."

So, I checked the percentages for the new Ford F150's 2017 models and found out it has 85% American parts so all can rest in peace once again. Meanwhile, Ram has dropped to 59.5% under Fiat ownership.

http://www.nydailynews.com/autos/buy...icle-1.2275107

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:50 PM   #47
Journeyman

2016 25' International
Amherst , Massachusetts
Tundra has highest percentage of American parts and is assembled in America. I don't have any brand loyalty (first and likely only Toyota for me) but it's definitely the case that the company takes care of its people, invests wisely, and produces a quality product.

To those who say the "profits" go overseas, I don't disagree, but I'd suggest that the wages and invoices being paid to American companies far exceed the "profits" going off shore: good wages build wealth for everyday Americans.

For American companies who build their trucks in Canada/Mexico, the "profits" are feeding folks who don't need the money (wealthy execs), while the wages are being off-shored. The workers here and abroad are being exploited in that scenario. When a low quality product is produced, the customer is being exploited. Seems to me that companies like Toyota are delivering the most value to customers and workers.

Some (hopefully useful) Airstream videos here:
https://www.youtube.com/c/journeymanvideos
thiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:54 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
Going on a bit more of a tangent here but I've always found it interesting that it was the United States (to a large degree) after World War II that taught the Japanese how to build quality products. Research W. Edwards Demming for more details. Demming and several others were instrumental in creating the high quality environment the Japanese are known for today.

When I was w*rking for a living I was a Demming devotee and often wondered why his work (and others) was largely ignored in the U.S. while Japan seemed to adopt it so completely.

Back to the O.P. - our 1996 Suburban was made in the U.S., our 2005 Suburban was made in Mexico
In my mid twenties around 1970 my first business was a car wash. The local Jag and BMW dealer got a Toyota franchise. I had a deal with them to Decosmoline the Toyotas comming from Japan and assemble the interiors since all of that was packed up in the Trunk. Carpets, seat belts etc. Those Toyotas were the ugliest cheaply built tin cans I ever saw. The only thing they had going for them was a rugged little motor that would start no matter how much pressure washing we applied to get the cosmoline of and they were dirt cheap. None of the Jaguars or BMW started until we dried them out completely.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:17 PM   #49
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Not really a truck, an SUV, but it was manufactured in Austria. By a contract manufacturer to BMW, Magna Steyr. Which is owned by a Canadian company, Magna. The vehicle was built with a German engine and transmission. And other parts from all over.

It never occurred to me that the country indicated on the serial number plate had any bearing on anything. These vehicles got higher early hour quality numbers than the ones built by BMW themselves. Good enough for me.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 03:51 PM   #50
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
In my mid twenties around 1970 my first business was a car wash. The local Jag and BMW dealer got a Toyota franchise. I had a deal with them to Decosmoline the Toyotas comming from Japan and assemble the interiors since all of that was packed up in the Trunk. Carpets, seat belts etc. Those Toyotas were the ugliest cheaply built tin cans I ever saw. The only thing they had going for them was a rugged little motor that would start no matter how much pressure washing we applied to get the cosmoline of and they were dirt cheap. None of the Jaguars or BMW started until we dried them out completely.
This is why English people flocked to little Japanese cars by the droves, after years of driving MGB's, TR4-6's, all Jags and most Rollers through just a fog bank and having everything go dark, thanks to Lucas, the Prince of Darkness.

I inherited a 1972 Corona (not Corolla) MarkII, red with a white vinyl roof 2 dr coupe that my Dad had beaten to with in an inch of its life chasing miscreants through B.C provincial parks; even hittting a few deer along the way. It took me hitting the side of a mountain to do it in, BUT it still got me home crabbing sideways at about a 15 degree angle all the way.

Yes, they were cheap little cars, but the drivetrains were bulletproof, even after hitting a mountain backwards.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:34 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiel View Post
For American companies who build their trucks in Canada/Mexico, the "profits" are feeding folks who don't need the money (wealthy execs), while the wages are being off-shored. The workers here and abroad are being exploited in that scenario. When a low quality product is produced, the customer is being exploited. Seems to me that companies like Toyota are delivering the most value to customers and workers.
Keep in mind that Canada is second only to China in USA trade, and trade between Canada and the USA is within about 5% of being balanced (import:export) while trade between the USA and China is far from balanced. 35 states have Canada as their biggest export customer, and 23 states import more from Canada than any other country.

As a Canadian I like to buy Canadian, but in practice I don't distinguish between Canadian-made and American-made goods. Our economies are so closely entwined that I feel that buying goods made in either country is good for both.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:37 PM   #52
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
In late 2006, I bought a 2007, Chevy Suburban 2500 with the towing package. Today it has about 90,000+ miles on it.
Over the years, it had three brake overalls, (Chevy paid for the first one).
Fuel pump replaced while towing, so both needed to be towed.
Transmission failed during a Caravan, and it needed to be rebuilt.
Air condition needed to be totally rebuilt. And I replaced all the speakers.

Assembled in Mexico, and I don’t know if that matters.
Did I get my money’s worth? What should I replace it with?
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:48 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Where's your truck manufactured?

In contrast I might have spent $1,500 in maintenance on my 2007 Tundra: 1 set of tires, 1 flat repair, 1battery, 1 serpentine accessory drive belt, 2cabin filters, wiper blades, tire rotations, oil changes, and some rubber trim pieces that go under the windows and radio antenna base.
The one time it would not start, we were headed to a rally. I already had a battery ordered from Amazon, but it hadn't arrived yet. I borrowed the battery from our 2014 Avalon and went to the rally. When we got home, my new battery had arrived. The OE battery was 8 1/2 years old.
I paid $30,000 for the truck. It is probably still worth roughly $17,000-$19,000.
It was manufactured at the Lafayette, Indiana plant. Tundras are only manufactured in Texas now.
Did I get my money's worth?
What will I replace it with, if I ever replace it?
Look up the million mile Tundra on YouTube.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:15 PM   #54
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStanley View Post
In late 2006, I bought a 2007, Chevy Suburban 2500 with the towing package. Today it has about 90,000+ miles on it.
Over the years, it had three brake overalls, (Chevy paid for the first one).
Fuel pump replaced while towing, so both needed to be towed.
Transmission failed during a Caravan, and it needed to be rebuilt.
Air condition needed to be totally rebuilt. And I replaced all the speakers.

Assembled in Mexico, and I don’t know if that matters.
Did I get my money’s worth? What should I replace it with?
Sounds like that's been a disappointing vehicle. Routine maintenance is okay but unplanned repairs and roadside breakdowns are frustrating.

Our 2005 K2500 Suburban has approximately 120,000 miles. It needs more maintenance than I'd like to admit but the brakes have been absolutely fabulous! With over 120,000 miles I'm still on the original brake pads and the rotors are in good condition too. Not sure what changed from 2005 to 2007 regarding brakes.

I've been wondering about the fuel pump. Maybe I should plan to change that component as a proactive measure.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 09:18 PM   #55
Engineer

2019 25' Flying Cloud
2018 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
Aurora , Oregon
Correct GMC = Chevy IMHO
engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:08 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
It was manufactured at the Lafayette, Indiana plant. Tundras are only manufactured in Texas now.
Your truck was manufactured in Princeton, IN. Now the Highlander is made there so they moved Tundra to Texas. Sequoia and Sienna are made there too.

At Lafayette they manufactured Camry's at the Subaru plant. That has ceased now.
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 08:25 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Had the disastrous Chevy diesel Suburban years ago. They should have walked down the corporate hallway and got Detroit Diesel division to make the engine, they certainly had the know how.

The car spent 75% of it's time at a dealership in Indianapolis because the Bloomington dealer had no one that knew anything about the engine. We gave up in disgust and sold the car after about a year and half.

Thus the Duramax partnership was formed for a Japanese engine company to make the motor. Perhaps another reason for the large "surcharge" at GM for the diesel option. At least the Allison transmission is made in the USA.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 09:37 AM   #58
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
Had the disastrous Chevy diesel Suburban years ago. They should have walked down the corporate hallway and got Detroit Diesel division to make the engine, they certainly had the know how.

The car spent 75% of it's time at a dealership in Indianapolis because the Bloomington dealer had no one that knew anything about the engine. We gave up in disgust and sold the car after about a year and half.

Thus the Duramax partnership was formed for a Japanese engine company to make the motor. Perhaps another reason for the large "surcharge" at GM for the diesel option. At least the Allison transmission is made in the USA.
It's funny that you whold bring this up, as some people with anti Japanese sentiment would be surprised to know that GM has had a major stake in Isuzu for decades (along with Toyota and Suzuki at other times). Yes, Isuzu have built diesel engines for GM for years (Isuzu 5.8L 6BD1A industrial diesel engine is in my 310) along with the Duramax facility; BUT remember, Isuzu doesn't design GM's diesel engines and sometimes I'm sure that Isuzu holds its nose when building these GM designed engines for GM. If Isuzu designed and built every diesel engine for GM, you'd all have an inline 4 or inline 6 diesels, not a V8 diesel.

Cheers
Tony

I wonder where the profits go????

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 10:21 AM   #59
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post

My 6.5 suburban has 250,000 miles and runs like a champ. It will go another 200,000.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote