Old 12-13-2012, 07:47 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
3 times in 1,000 miles on my AS. I feel like I am a consultant now on that subject. That's why I recommend the Trailer Aid instead of trying to jack up the AS. Especially don't use a bottle jack but a scissor jack minimum if you have to.

2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:51 AM   #16
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Never with either TV.....

BUT....if your vehicle, (DD or TV), has outside spare storage make sure you check the operation of the release mechanism regularly.
Especially the cable drop type.
Duz no good to have a spare you can't get too.

Bob

Old 12-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Jammer - The value of a spare tire depends upon your vehicle usage, and from reading other posts by you, I know that you already know the answer Being without a spare in the middle of nowhere would be at the least a serious inconvenience and perhaps a disaster if it occurred during some other emergency, e.g.: medical. I've not had a tow vehicle spare on the ground in the life of my Jeep GC - over 87,000 miles, but I wouldn't leave home with out one, much less transit the length of Hwy 50 or the other lonesome roads that we prefer.

I've not had a flat with the Airstream (>20,000 mi on GYM's) for that matter, but the same principle applies.

BTW, for those who upsize wheel and tire, as I plan to do with my Airstream from 14" to 15", I corresponded with Dexter and they concur that it would be no problem to retain a smaller tire & wheel as a limited use spare.

The most used "spare" in my tow vehicle is a portable battery pack, which I've used many times in helping others with dead batteries.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:07 PM   #18
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Thank you all for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
If you carry fan belts, hoses,alternators,tools and such, heck, why not carry a spare too. Most are stored out of the way anyhow.
Both my pickup and my suburban came to me with problem tires on all four corners and as spares. Pickup had oversize load range C tires that would be badly overloaded carrying the Cayo and a spare now 15 years old on a rusted rim. Suburban had way too big tires for the rims and a worn oversized spare dating to before the 'burb's date of manufacture. Both trucks are 4x4 limited slip, and I've purchased new tires in stock size and load range for each of them.

None of the old tires is usable as a spare -- the spare from the pickup is too old to be safe and reliable (tire and rim alike), and the rest of them aren't a matching size which means, if mounted on the rear axle, the limited slip diff would overheat and be damaged in the space of a few miles at highway speed.

To have usable spares on each of those I'd have to purchase one usable rim ($85) and two tires. I've been paying around $240 each out the door for Michelin LTX A/T 2s, which is what I run, although I suppose I could use an economy tire and get the price down a little. Used load range E tires that are in passable condition are expensive for what they are here, usually $75 and up, though there's a lot of junk on craigslist that's 10 years old and unevenly worn.

So it's the $$$ that's making me think twice, although the stories you've all shared are leading me back to the conclusion that I just have to spend the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
There is a growing trend in new cars not to carry a spare tire for weight, fuel, and cost savings.
Indeed. I've been looking at Cameros, and you have to pay extra to get a temporary spare instead of the stock can of fix-a-flat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
And while tires are also far better there is no more important system on an automobile than the tires themselves.
True, and moreover, tires and wheels are among the few systems that have to work in order to be able to flat-tow a vehicle with a rope.

Someone on another board pointed out that you can lose a rim to a road hazard -- he hit something once hard enough to break off a piece of the flange. A rim may be more difficult to find than a tire in a remote area or on a weekend.

Quote:
I would say that a better question in this line would concern how to change a tire on the side of the road (two-lane, crowned, and while hitched). If any tools, aids or additional equipment is required to make it easier and faster (safer). This would include flashers, flares, Class II safety vest, etc.
Another reason to rotate tires, since the lug nuts and even wheels can be difficult to remove if they haven't been off for some years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
BUT....if your vehicle, (DD or TV), has outside spare storage make sure you check the operation of the release mechanism regularly.
Especially the cable drop type.
Duz no good to have a spare you can't get too.
On another forum, someone with a truck camper found out the hard way that the camper blocked access to the place where you attach the handle for the cable winch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
Jammer - The value of a spare tire depends upon your vehicle usage, and from reading other posts by you, I know that you already know the answer Being without a spare in the middle of nowhere would be at the least a serious inconvenience and perhaps a disaster if it occurred during some other emergency, e.g.: medical.
One of the points I've been keeping in mind, thinking about this, is that any vehicle can fail and have to be towed at any time, even with the best of maintenance. Sure, a spare tire improves the odds, but you can still lose the crankshaft position sensor, or the PCM, or throw a rod.

As a result you have to be prepared to deal with breakdowns safely even if repairs can't be made roadside, which mostly means use of extremely old-school techniques like extra boots and a parka in back in the winter, or water if you're in the desert, and letting people know where you're going if you'll be in the back country.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:26 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
First flat in years was on the tow home from the Airstream dealer with the new Airstream. When I pulled off to check torque vales at 50 miles, I got a screw in right rear of TV. Fifty miles later I pulled off and noticed slow leak. AAA came and moved spare to right front, right front to right rear so I could move the trailer. Messed communications resulted in a bent jack stand. Things became more challenging. Six hours later, the flat was repaired at Costco and I reattached to trailer arriving in the Phoenix area around 4:30am. Glad I had even a donut spare.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:18 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Jammer - I like that train of thought. My last position prior to retirement was in Safety & Technical Risk Management. My approach is to consider any operation - eg: towing a travel trailer - and take time to consider:
A) What could possibly go wrong?
B) How bad could that be?
C) How probable is that?
C) How could I reduce the probability?
E) What would I need to do if it happened?

A structured thought process - it's not necessarily hard or time consuming - such as this will lead to better decisions regarding maintenance, spares, skills training, emergency preparedness.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 11:29 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
bigger question

How about the bigger question.
What are the STATE LAWS?

I believe in some states you can be fined or ticketed if you don't have a spare.

It was several years ago but a friend was towing a single axle camper, got a flat and pulled over. Along came a state trooper. Got a ticket for not having a spare. Friend said "but in our state we don't have to carry a spare". Trooper said "It does not matter if you are out of state. In our state you need to carry a spare".
Old 12-14-2012, 02:08 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
One can not be aware of every nit picking law in every state. I think the ticket would get thrown out in court as an out of state driver passing through.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:28 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
When was the last time you used the spare tire for your tow vehicle?
In the last three vehicles that I would consider "tow vehicles", never.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
One can not be aware of every nit picking law in every state. I think the ticket would get thrown out in court as an out of state driver passing through.
Assuming you have the time and are willing to stay until the court date.
I would think most don't and the troopers bank on this.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:39 PM   #25
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
According to money magazine, there is no law requiring a spare.

Fewer cars come with a spare tire- MSN Money

Maryland requires either a spare or some sort of tire repair kit:

Section 22-405.3 - Spare tires. :: 2010 Maryland Code :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia
Old 12-14-2012, 03:54 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
According to money magazine, there is no law requiring a spare.

Fewer cars come with a spare tire- MSN Money

Maryland requires either a spare or some sort of tire repair kit:

Section 22-405.3 - Spare tires. :: 2010 Maryland Code :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia
YOU tell the cop or judge that "According to money magazine, there is no law requiring a spare". Let me know what he or she says.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2009 19' International
Woodinville , Washington
My only comment on this issue is to be sure that TV's tires are rated for the increased loads. Although my 2006 F-150 came with a towing package it also had OEM 2-ply tires. The first (right rear) blew while towing my less-than 2-ton trailer on the 101 in Santa Rosa, CA. It delaminated and shredded, but did no vehicle damage. The left rear started to delaminate on a trip in Eastern Oregon when I noticed steal cords protruding through the sidewalls. I then bought 4 new 10-ply (Toyo) tires and have had no problems since. I do not use a WD hitch which may have relieved loads on the rear tires, but would in turn add load to the single trailer axle.

"It's like magic, only real"
(Bud Light commercial)

Women and cats can do as they please, while men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.(R. Heinlein)
50KIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:37 PM   #28
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

POI.....a properly adjusted WD will decrease rear TV tire loads, and increase trailer axle load.

Bob