Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2008, 08:41 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
When should we fill?

We've just had a 75 gallon extended fuel tank added to our new tow vehicle which gives us the capacity 101 gallons of diesel fuel. Question is should we fill the tanks now or wait? I see gas prices are beginning to retreat a bit, how about diesel? Current best price for diesel in our area is $4.29 per gallon so to fill the tanks it would cost us about $430.00 Don't want to pay more than we have too......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV 3.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	59769   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV 4.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	59770  

myboyburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:01 AM   #2
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I dont know when you should buy, but I am envious of that tank! Imagine a 1,500 mile crusing range. Is that one of those expensive ones you control from the cab?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:03 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Boy that tank is the way ta go. Fill 'er up with as much as you think

you'll use, when you see the price drop, take advantage of all that extra

capacity.

I remember reading about an entire community who pooled there resources

quite a number of years ago and are still paying 1980?? prices. Thats

what I call municipal planning!

STREAM SAFE.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:03 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
do you really want to drag around all that weight? it might make for a softer ride with the weight in the bed.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:07 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Tough to say. Prices could go up or down. 3 weeks ago I paid $3.75 for B99 Biodiesel, this week $4.079. There was a price difference of .50 a gallon between Gainesville and Lake City, FL. This week it was only .15 a gallon. (Standard ULSD to Biodiesel.)
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 09:16 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
I dont know when you should buy, but I am envious of that tank! Imagine a 1,500 mile crusing range. Is that one of those expensive ones you control from the cab?
The system we had installed does an automatic transfer of fuel from the extended tank into the main tank. It has this devise that's mounted on the dash of our TV: Transfer Flow's Trax-II

Don't know if this is considered an expensive system or not.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:48 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny
do you really want to drag around all that weight? it might make for a softer ride with the weight in the bed.
We are not really concerned about the additional weight, even though we'll get a bit less mileage when we have a full load of fuel on board. We are more interested in the distance we can travel. Right now we are averaging 13.5 MPG while towing our Airstream so we could go about 1350 miles (give or take) before we will need to tank up.

We are going to the WBCCI Region One Rally in PEI in August, traveling with the NEU's Maritime Discover Caravan and we'll only need one fill up of fuel for the roundtrip adventure.

Old 05-04-2008, 11:01 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
so we could go about 1350 miles (give or take) before we will need to tank up.
wow, i've driven across country three times sans a/s from/to new hampshire, once in 3 1/2 days and i couldn't imagine wanting to go that long without a pit stop of some sort. i need to get out every couple of hundred miles and stretch the legs, not to mention the needs of my wife and 2 year old

in answer to your original post, fill up today because memorial day isn't even here yet and gas prices will only continute to go up as the summer approaches.

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 11:07 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanfood
wow, i've driven across country three times sans a/s from/to new hampshire, once in 3 1/2 days and i couldn't imagine wanting to go that long without a pit stop of some sort. i need to get out every couple of hundred miles and stretch the legs, not to mention the needs of my wife and 2 year old

in answer to your original post, fill up today because memorial day isn't even here yet and gas prices will only continute to go up as the summer approaches.
We'll still be stopping every 3 hours or so, just not for fuel.

Good point about Memorial Day and price increases.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:28 PM   #10
_

. , .
nice tank for the long distance traveler...

but the weight REALLY DOES matter and mileage is only a minor issue...

IF this truck is used for everyday transport, braking and handling are issues.

and adjusting tire pressures for the added load is important.

from a 'brand new tank/system' perspective, fill it right NOW (at least 1/2 way)...

just to see how it functions and if there are any issues (leaks, movement, odors)...

and to check STOPPING distances with the additional riding weight...

IF you are slow to use up the first tank or 2, consider a good diesel additive...

my favorite snake oil...

also camouflage that shell/fill port, along with the standard locking cap...

because of the inevitable diesel 'dribbles and scum' that will happen on the shell add a layer of protective film...

like a small section of scotchgard....

for travel and with the that sort of 'range' consider adding laptop/cellular links to the major truck stops...

they all have prices listed nationwide online and you will have the flexibility to 'pick a state' for fill ups...

while memorial day is historically a fuel blip time, that's mostly a gasoline event...

diesel pricing has a different dynamics

and some economists are suggesting the pricing "bubble" is about to pop (or at least deflate)...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 01:38 PM   #11
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I wanted to do that, but the $1K tank is just out of my reach. I thought about getting an farm style tank, but thats not a very elegant solution.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:43 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
nice tank for the long distance traveler...

but the weight REALLY DOES matter and mileage is only a minor issue...

IF this truck is used for everyday transport, braking and handling are issues.

and adjusting tire pressures for the added load is important.

from a 'brand new tank/system' perspective, i'd fill it right NOW (at least 1/2 way)...

just to see how it functions and if there are any issues (leaks, movement, odors)...

and to check STOPPING distances with the additional riding weight...

IF you are slow to use up the first tank or 2, consider a good diesel additive...

my favorite snake oil...

also camouflage that shell/fill port, along with the standard locking cap...

additionally, because of the inevitable diesel 'dribbles and scum' that will happen on the shell add a layer of protective film...

For the Consumer...

for travel and with the that sort of 'range' consider adding laptop/cellular links to the major truck stops...

they all have prices listed nationwide online and you will have the flexibility to 'pick a state' for fill ups...

while memorial day is historically a fuel blip time, that's mostly a gasoline event...

diesel pricing has a different dynamics

and some economists are suggesting the pricing "bubble" is about to pop (or at least deflate)...

cheers
2air'
Good advice 2air'

This is a TV only, we kept our old gas truck for everyday chores.

Leon will be adjusting the tire pressure when we are fully loaded - we also installed the SmartTire system in the truck and trailer which monitors our tire pressure and temperature.

My mobile phone is a Treo 755p - so it has internet access for us to be able to hunt down truck stops / best fuel prices in the area we are traveling in.

Folks in our club (NEU) also recommend a diesel fuel additive, I'm going to look into it.

Old 05-30-2008, 09:44 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyburt
We've just had a 75 gallon extended fuel tank added to our new tow vehicle which gives us the capacity 101 gallons of diesel fuel. Question is should we fill the tanks now or wait? I see gas prices are beginning to retreat a bit, how about diesel? Current best price for diesel in our area is $4.29 per gallon so to fill the tanks it would cost us about $430.00 Don't want to pay more than we have too......
I've been looking at the TF tanks for quite a while but have not seen a 75 gal tank with the fill port on the camper shell. The company's web site says you can only use the fill port on the 30 and 98 gal versions. Can you tell me more about it. Where you bought it, and who installed it, and what special parts they used to make it happen? Does it fit tight up against the front of the bed or is there a space there? What are the measurments of that size tank?
That looks like the perfect size for me. I'm really interested in one. You can PM me if you like.
Thanks
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:14 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1993 25' Excella
Full Time , Anywhere USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooley
I've been looking at the TF tanks for quite a while but have not seen a 75 gal tank with the fill port on the camper shell. The company's web site says you can only use the fill port on the 30 and 98 gal versions. Can you tell me more about it. Where you bought it, and who installed it, and what special parts they used to make it happen? Does it fit tight up against the front of the bed or is there a space there? What are the measurments of that size tank?
That looks like the perfect size for me. I'm really interested in one. You can PM me if you like.
Thanks
Here's the link to the system we purchased: Express-UFS

The extended fuel tank fits right up against the front of the bed of our TV. I don't know the size buit it is listed on the website. No issues at all with having the filler thing installed, it was part of the kit we purchased.

So far we are wicked happy with it except when we are paying for our fuel purchases.

Our local Leer Cap dealer is also a Transfer Flow dealer - so he installed it when he installed our cap.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:10 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Thanks for the info and the link.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:32 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Romulus , New York
does this tank have baffles in it to kep the fuel from sloshing from side to side? quite a bit of weight transfer with a half tank going around curves without them.
jayray5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:46 AM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Been looking at the 60 or 75 gallon underbed replacement tank from Aerotank for mine. Range is the answer for both fuel shortages and planning flexibility. I wanted underbed so as not to adversely affect center-of-gravity, no loss of bed capacity.

AeroTanks-we specialize in auxiliary fuel tanks.

Second reason is in event of Gulf Coast hurricane evacuation. I'm estimating 3-5 mpg in stop/go traffic, and that 60 gals means I can make at least 150-250 miles before needing fuel.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:33 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Another consideration -

Condensation is said to be an issue, and farmers I know always top off their tractors and trucks at the end of the day.

Those of you with experience in the diesel RV world may want to sound off on this.

Dave
AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:39 AM   #19
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I ran into an airstreamer in Tucumcari who had made a rig like that on his own, he tries to run all the fuel through that big tank and double filters all the fuel as the diesel leaves the big tank. Not a bad plan I guess. I do know I wish I had some of that $4.10 diesel in the tank right now since its $4.86 here.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:10 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
MYBOYBURT, I love the tank. Wish I had one like it for those Alaska long range to the arctic circle trips.

One thing you mentioned and I am probably redundent in my comments here, is that you only use the rig for your AS puller. REMEMBER, fuel deterioates rather quickly. The suggested storage time for diesel fuel is ONLY 90 days maximum and it starts to deteriorate at 30 days according to refinery information I read. But the big thing is diesel draws water like a sponge. I am only mentioning this because I got the idea you rig might set for exstended periods of time. Just my two cents worth, I am sure you'r knew these things but some folks don't.

I have a friend who is a fruit rancher. He has a duramax and before that had a power stroke. He got rid of the power stroke cause it never would run right according to Him. Well,,, His duramax never does run right either. He buys his farm diesel and stores it in a 2,000 gallon tank. Gets it cheap and keep it too long....the only thing that will burn it is His 30 year old diesel John Deere...but you can't tell him that. He thinks the motors just won't run right...lol... refuses to admit its because of year old diesel.
DFord79 is offline   Reply With Quote